Quantcast

Hub Flex '03-'04 Deemax?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Guys,

I was having problems with rotor rub even after I re-centered the rear Hayes caliper. I then decided to check to see if there was flex somewhere in the wheel because the rotor was only rubbing when I weighted the rear wheel during pedalling. I pulled the wheel from side to side and noticed a ton of flex. I first checked the spoke tension which seemed to be okay. It actually looks and feels like major some side-to-side movement somewhere in the hub/axel setup and the axel is correctly centered in the dropouts. I took it in to my LBS to check out but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this? I know people had issues with this wheelset but I have only heard about flat spotting and not hub problems. :help:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm may be wrong, but I think that flex you're feeling when you're actually pushing on the wheel is coming from the spokes. I'm pretty sure everyone gets that...plus you have 28 spokes so that doesn't help either.

Second, you don't have a thru-axle so the flex might be coming from axle/dropout area.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Thanks Chris. This flex was pretty severe and I am only having rotor rub when sitting down in the saddle and compressing my rear shock. I can see the hub moving side to side when I flex the wheel, it seems like more than normal flex.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
spoke flex has nothing to do with rotor rub. start from scratch and make sure the caliper is centered and the pads are totally parallel to the rotor. it does sound like you might have some play in the hub/axle assembly.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I know this is a common problem with horiz-drops. When you strap a whole bunch of crap on your dropouts (chain tensioners, adjustable drops), and use a wussy QR, it can slide around.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Thanks Fro. I already took out the pads once, reset the pistons and centered the rotor. It worked okay for about the first 15 minutes of the ride and then the rotor rub came right back:(

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
sounds like you gotta tighten up the cup and cone assembly on the hub. im too lazy to check my deemax hub to see if they have that sort of set up but ill check eventually. but i guess you would notice the play in the wheel if that occured. just check to see if they loosened up just in case.

edit: i reread your post and the cup and cone assembly on the hub has definately loosened up. time to whip out those cone wrenches.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Bullit21, with you off the bike, carefully push the wheel back and forth to see if you feel or hear a little subtle 'tick' sound from the play in the hub.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
The DeeMax axle is multi piece. Take it all apart so you can see what it all looks like. Clean and reassemble. Get all 3 pieces of axle tight then adjust the hub preload with the Mavic spanner.

Good luck wit dat