Quantcast

Hub question.

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by skatetokil, Dec 7, 2005.

1. skatetokil

skatetokil Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hey all, just bought a bike (05 STP1) which has rhino lites laced to some random 36 hole hub. I often do small drops to flat off walls and crap like that cause there are no trannys to be had in this stupid city. Never had any real bad landings or anything, but the rear end has started making strange noises, especially when putting lateral stress on the wheel. Kind of a grinding/rubbing sound. The wheel doesnt hit the frame, and if it were the disk rotor it would make more of a ringing metallic sound.

I think something screwy is going on with the hub, but I just bought the bike about a month ago. Is there anything you need to do to new hubs? tighten them or something? if so, how is this procedure preformed. what else can you think of?

#1 -   Dec 7, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. zahgurim

zahgurim Underwater monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 12
    I think the best thing to do is take it back into the shop you bought it at, and see what they think. Everything should be under warranty, and they can tell you fast what the problem is.

It's sort of hard to say what funny noises are over the internet, when given random parts descriptions...

#2 -   Dec 7, 2005
  3. skatetokil

skatetokil Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    hehe. sorry, it was late

#3 -   Dec 7, 2005
  4. Repack

Repack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    If its a Shimano hub, or a hub built like a Shimano, it could be the freehub body bolt backing out. It happens b/c of hub flex. I put a solid axle in an XT and it fixed the problem.

#4 -   Dec 7, 2005