Quantcast

Hub rebuild/lubrication question (Tomac 204 hub).

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So, I finally took apart the Edco hub on my Tomac and cleaned all the internals. I am really concerned about the hub crapping out on me as the pawls stopped engaging once and it would be a pain to get a replacement as the hub is proprietary and the bike isn't made anymore...plus, those things cost money.

I've read on here to use a light grease, as a heavy one will gum it all up. Well, I am not entirely sure what a light grease entails and if I have any or if an oil can be used. Also, I am not sure how much is appropriate to use on the pawls and the bearings in there.

I have standard blue-green Park grease, some of that neon green Shimano grease (seems pretty thin), Pedros Synthetic grease and Finish Line wet and dry lubes. I put a good amount (too much?) Finish Line wet in there and the pawls engage and all but, just spinning, the hub is almost silent...that worries me as it was never the case before.

Suggestions? Pau11y? Parts? Yearof?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I use a thick oil in my hadley. Something like tri-flow, or 20wt oil. You can use a really thin grease as well, like mprep, but it can "gum" up the pawls so it's not that great to use.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
JRogers said:
So, I finally took apart the Edco hub on my Tomac and cleaned all the internals. I am really concerned about the hub crapping out on me as the pawls stopped engaging once and it would be a pain to get a replacement as the hub is proprietary and the bike isn't made anymore...plus, those things cost money.

I've read on here to use a light grease, as a heavy one will gum it all up. Well, I am not entirely sure what a light grease entails and if I have any or if an oil can be used. Also, I am not sure how much is appropriate to use on the pawls and the bearings in there.

I have standard blue-green Park grease, some of that neon green Shimano grease (seems pretty thin), Pedros Synthetic grease and Finish Line wet and dry lubes. I put a good amount (too much?) Finish Line wet in there and the pawls engage and all but, just spinning, the hub is almost silent...that worries me as it was never the case before.

Suggestions? Pau11y? Parts? Yearof?
I know this isn't going to help much, but I figure there are people who want to know this kind of stuff. Hadley told me they'd make me a hub for my 204 when I had it, I'd imagine the offer is still on the table for any 204 owner, as if Hadley made one, just about every guy with a 204 would probably pick one up. Anyhow, they wanted me to send the frame with a hub, that wasn't going to pan out for me. If anybody has the ability to send an accurate drawing of the Edco hub to hadley so they can get the spacing all squared away, you'd be doing a lot of 204 owners a big favor.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Hey Yeti still has the cassette carrier which is the upgrade 4-prawl version. I bought one for my 15mm hub on the Yeti and switched it for the three prawl version which tended to blow up, and now keep it in the box for a spare. Yeti charged me like 40 or 50 bucks. This should be the only thing in the hub that could go wrong. As far as lube I would use a litte Phil Wood Tenasious 'sp' oil or drip some Tri-Flow on the prawls where they sit in the hub. I have used Tri-Flow on both the Edco and my Ringle hubs with no problems.
Good Luck.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea hadley makes a hub for the 204. ive seen it on a 204 at plattekill. i re-greased the guys hub too.

flashgordon

Chimp
Oct 18, 2003
Woodinville WA
I have had my 204 four years now, and only once had a problem with the hub when I first got it. I used a little Phil Wood tenacious lube.I ride & race in Pacific Northwest rain and mud all year round too.It's about time I took a look at mine.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
flashgordon said:
I have had my 204 four years now, and only once had a problem with the hub when I first got it. I used a little Phil Wood tenacious lube.I ride & race in Pacific Northwest rain and mud all year round too.It's about time I took a look at mine.

if it ain t broke...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hi guys can I ask a massive question and I know this is a really old post but I really need some advice and you guys might be able to help, I am about to buy a Tomac 204 but its coming without wheels or axles its basically the frame only, Does anyone remember the hub and axle size please or/and know where I can get a hub from please?

Thanks so much.
I bet this guy would know:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does anyone remember the hub and axle size please or/and know where I can get a hub from please?
IIRC it was 165x12 rear spacing

I have a 26" 165x12mm DH wheel in my shed you could have but I'm guessing you're probably not in the UK?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's of no help but this thread had me end up here after reading a bit about Doug Bradbury-