Quantcast

Hub Recommendations? Nuke Proof vs. Hope Pro 2

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
I'm getting some new wheels built and I wanted your thoughts. Bike is a Kona Dawg Deluxe, riding is pretty aggressive all mountain. I want something durable, serviceable and reasonably priced.

The hub will be fitted with an XT cassette with alloy carrier.

It seems like the Nuke Proof has better engagement (6 pawls vs. 4) and it has a 15mm adaptor should I upgrade my fork.

The Hope seems to come with better customer service and you can fit a steel freehub body if you want (which seems wise).

I'm also not sure whether the sound of the Hope will drive me crazy or not.

Any thoughts on either of these???

Thanks

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I have the Hope and the engagement really isn't an issue at all. It feels nice when I ride a 72pt hub but I don't notice the Hope's 24pt at all. I love the noise riding DH but it can get a little obnoxious on XC rides. Overall I'm very happy with it.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
If you don't run a cassette that sits on a spider... alloy bodies to get chewed up pretty bad... But I mean they still function, it's just a minor inconvenience really

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Why wouldn't you consider Hadley 72 point engagement, the front hub has adapters available for all sizes. Same with the DT Swiss 440s, the front has adapters for all sizes.
Both companies have probably the best hubs you can buy.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
Yes - the Hadley is now on my short list (since I started this thread). Unfortunately there isn't a ton of info out there on them (bummer they don't have a website). That said, everyone who has them seems to rave about them (and I'd guess the ti freehub body will hold up better than al).

maxbs

Chimp
Aug 25, 2009
Id go for the Hope pro II. Theyre light, very strong, druable and easy as hell to service. Basically everyone with a quality pair of hoops in the uk is using hope pro 2's. In terms of quality to price, theyre second to none. Ive got a pair on my gambler, not had too much riding time though, but theyve been running good so far.