Quantcast

hubs and rims?

joser42

Chimp
Apr 12, 2005
Florida
OK I'm going upgrade to a 9 speed but I think I'm going to build my new set of wheels. This will be the first set I build from scratch but I've always wanted to build my own. Question is what is a good hub and rim combinationfor me to use. I'm thinking of using Deore XT hubs because they're realitively cheap and seem to be durable but what is a good rim to match with them. Sun, Mavic? I do a fair amount of riding and do some jumps and 1-2' drops with a hardtail so I don't want to build a set of wheels just to have a cheap part break. My current set has held up well and I don't want to upgrade to inferior parts. Anyone know of a reliable combination thats wouldn't be rediculously expensive.
JoSeR

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Mavic rims still seem to be the best going. The only other ones I would look at would be Bontragers. A rim like the XM719(f519 last year) is a great balance of strenght and weight. There is also the 819 tubeless line but they are a tough build for a first set. For hubs you can't beat XT for price and durability.

dawgprimo

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
There seems to be 2 schools of thought when biulding up wheels, from what I have been told and have seen.
First is selecting a hub. Like Bro said can't go wrong with Shimano XT for value or durability. I to am looking to improve my rear hub but they get expensive quickly when I look at ck, hadley or hope................ :eek:

As for the rim it is either you go for a light rim with a beefer tire or heavier rim and lighter tires if you want. This all depends alot on how big/heavy you are and the type of riding you do. Also consideration to weight if that is a big issue to you????
Myself I went with Mavic 729 disc with shimano xt hub and they are great.
(But I am 240# and this is my free ride bike which I go XC with also)
I also use Mavic 317 with XT hubs on my XC bike and don't have any problems with either.
Good luck!!
:)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If you have the money, get a better rear hub. XT hubs are okay, a good value and durable but they have slow engagement and they are freaking boat anchors. The best out there are King and Hadley, which are also the most expensive. Hope (XC or Bulb), Ringle and Hugi/Onyx hubs are other options that aren't as expensive but are significantly better than XT hubs.

For rims, you could probably get away with something pretty light if 1-2' drops are the biggest hits you'll be taking and you aren't beating yoiur current stuff to death. Mavic 717s would work. If you have the money and patience to build them, I'd go for Mavic UST rims- the 819s. I've had great luck with UST and recommend it to others. I like some of Sun's stuff but I think that their XC offerings are behind Mavic's. Another option is DT rims. I've never used them but I've heard good things and DT is a reliable company that always produces quality stuff. The XR 4.1 looks good for XC applications.