Quantcast

Hubs and rims?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Ok, what do you folks recommend for a MTB hub and rim setup that won't break the bank?

Anything has to be better than Shimano 495 Centerlock hubs...must be something a with a little less internal resistance in it.

J

JRB

Hope XCs or Bulbs and Mavic 3.1s or 717s. Or DTs or Velocity VXCs.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
You can pick up XT stuff for cheap and it will hold up reasonably well unless you are just pounding the hell out of it. As for rims, find something Mavic on sale. Sun Rhyno Lites are strong & cheap but what a pain in the arse to put a tire on them. :mumble:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
for XC/trail riding (the only thing I know enough about to comment on intelligently), Onyx hubs are nice... need to be serviced about once a year with the conditions we ride, but I'm ok with that. DT Swiss 4.1d rims are great. I go about 180lbs and they work really well for me. They take a beating, are reasonably light, and are competitively priced (read not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
How much money is in the bank?

edit -- I take it that since you just got new avid brakes that you don't have to have centerlock hubs anymore?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
loco said:
Hope XCs or Bulbs and Mavic 3.1s or 717s. Or DTs or Velocity VXCs.
I second the hope xc on mavic 717. I got a set from jensonusa for about $300. You may have to call, they aren't listed on the website.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
What kind of riding is this rim for?

I usually see Rhyno lites as a good do everything rim (you can get them really cheap these days), and Hugi Onyx hubs seem to be very good and somewhat cheap.

As for what wont break the bank check Jenson USA. They have a Sun Rhyno lite wheelset and several variations on lighter XT/Mavic wheelsets for under $250, they even have some good stuff for under $200. I'd check the spoke tension on all these wheels before I rode them though. I never trust a premade wheelset.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Ok, I'm looking for XC/trail riding hubs and some decent rims.

I'm really looking in the neighborhood of perhaps 75 bucks per hub so that may put a damper on something.

For rims, I want something light and durable. Just want something better than the bontrager crap that came on the Trek.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
XT hubs and DS2 rims. My DS1's flatspotted easily, but the rear handled whistler on a hardtail with DB spokes and Alloy nipps. Yes, I am smooth (although I did fall).

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I just picked up a set of Sun Singletrack rims laced to XT hubs from jenson for 145. At a cursory glance they appear to be a decent set of wheels, the rims are strong yet not too punishing in the weight category. I think the set comes in at about 2400 grams, which is not too bad, so I will ride those for a while and have them relaced with better hubs at some point.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
robdamanii said:
Howabout tires? Anyone have a good dirt tire they recommend? Bontragers are...eh..
I like the Maxxis Hard Drives for hard pack dirt trails (they're narrow and what I race), Maxxis Minions--Slow Reezay for rocks & roots (what I normally ride and are great in wet conditions) and the Kenda Kinetics--Stickey are also nice for rocks & roots (wet conditions too).

Edit: I used to like the Michelin Hot S tires, but the sidewalls don't hold up to the abusive rocks that I ride on all the time.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
robdamanii said:
Howabout tires? Anyone have a good dirt tire they recommend? Bontragers are...eh..
Continental Explorer for XC/trail... accept no substitutes. Conti Vertical for more technical trails (same tread, more air volume).

BTW the guy that mentioned the Singletrack/XT combo was on to something. These are similar to RHYNO lites but just a more aero/disc specific looking design). My rhyno's for instance are very square (look like a rim brake wheel with no shiny braking surface. These are really nice trail/all condition rims.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
xt/rhyno lites are cheap you can get a set for about $150- $200
i am 6'2" and 235lbs and they held up to my abuse perfectly. Tires??? the nevegal is awesome as is the specialized roll x .

J

JRB

I had some XT hubs on single tracks. I liked the rims, but the axle refused to stay tight on the rear.