Quantcast

Hubs and spokes?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I'm pretty sure I'm getting a set of Mavic EX721 rims (36h), but i still need to think of a hub and which spokes to lace it up with.

I'm looking to either buy a cheaper (price, not quality) new set of hubs, or some used hadley's, woodmans, or kings.

It needs to be able to hold up to street, park, and dj'ing. I'm slighty hard on my wheels too...keep that in mind. weight is somewhat of an issue. I'm trying to build a burly, but light wheelset.

Give me your ideas. Thanks.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well 36h and those rims will work fine.

Hubs......Hope/Hadley if you wanted quality. I don't think I'd go King's on a DJ/4x bike. All depends on if you run 20mm front or QR as well. I'd love to run a better hub out back then in front (like a XT front, Hadley/Hope rear) because a front hub is pretty basic. If it were 20mm I'd just get the matching hub to the rear. But I'd check out Hope and Hadley. Those seem to give you the most options (QR/10mm/12mm) etc...

Spokes I'd go 14g Stright. I think for the price, weight, and what ever else :) that they seem to work pretty well. I have 3 wheelsets all built with 14g DT spokes (or WS) and all have held up well. Just make sure the wheel is built by someone who knows what they're doing. That always has a bigger effect on the lifespan of the wheel rather than if you used brass or alum. nipples.

Since you got the rims you gotta work around them. I picked up a cheap Singletrack/XT disc hubset built set of wheels for $109 over the holidays for my DJ bike. I just wanted something cheap. But if I have to replace rims and such something much stronger will go on. EX721's are nice rims. I have them on my XC/FR'ish bike.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
If you can get King hubs, do it, they will outlast any other hub. I have been running Kings laced to Mavics on my DJ/park/jib bike for almost two years without a single problem. Both wheels are as true as the day they were laced. DT Champion spokes are really the only way to go, and like Spunger said, 14g definitely. Hope and Hadley are both pretty good hubs, although my friend had a Hadley and it was always coming loose.

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I'm looking to get a convertable front hub because I have a qr right now, but i plan on getting a pike, so ill need a 20mm. Also for the rear, i need a bolt on 10mm.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
livetheride514 said:
I'm looking to get a convertable front hub because I have a qr right now, but i plan on getting a pike, so ill need a 20mm. Also for the rear, i need a bolt on 10mm.
Hadley and atomlab both make convertible front hubs.

And I second what spunger says about straight guage spokes. They build a tougher wheel that resists flat spots and bending way more than a double butted spoke that's supposed to "allow the wheel to flex". Total bs for a wheel that you're going to be pounding on. I've had wheels with sg spokes on all my dj and dh bikes for years and have only killed one wheel.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
kidwoo said:
Hadley and atomlab both make convertible front hubs.

And I second what spunger says about straight guage spokes. They build a tougher wheel that resists flat spots and bending way more than a double butted spoke that's supposed to "allow the wheel to flex". Total bs for a wheel that you're going to be pounding on. I've had wheels with sg spokes on all my dj and dh bikes for years and have only killed one wheel.
I know, why waste more $$$ on a wheel that you'll most likely destroy anyways? LOL if you were a racer I'd say well the other spokes might warrent use (especially if you're smooth) but if you're doing DJ/BMX jumps and urban stuff just go for the beef. No point in having a taco'ed wheel because you skimped on spokes. (especially running EX721's, make em last).