Quantcast

Huckabee: Preacher in the White House?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So, what say you all about the (currently still 10:1 outside chance, praise jeebus) that you might end up with an actual proper god-botherer in the WH?

"Oh yeah, America. They have a priest as president."

IMO, that is really not a good look for y'all. So 1400s. Obviously most recent presidents have had to to feign religious interest to get elected, and some probably even believed, but this would be a large backwards step.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't think he's really got a chance. Having said that, it would be beneficial for guys like John Stewart and Steven Colbert if it ever happened.

Personally, I like Hitchens take on the man:

http://www.slate.com/id/2180159/

A few highlights:

However, what Article VI does not do, and was never intended to do, is deny me the right to say, as loudly as I may choose, that I will on no account vote for a smirking hick like Mike Huckabee, who is an unusually stupid primate but who does not have the elementary intelligence to recognize the fact that this is what he is. My right to say and believe that is already guaranteed to me by the First Amendment. And the right of Huckabee to win the election and fill the White House with morons like himself is unaffected by my expression of an opinion.

Isn't it amazing how self-pitying and self-aggrandizing the religious freaks in this country are? It's not enough that they can make straight-faced professions of "faith" at election times and impose their language on everything from the Pledge of Allegiance to the currency. It's not enough that they can claim tax exemption and even subsidy for anything "faith-based." It's that when they are even slightly criticized for their absurd opinions, they can squeal as if being martyred and act as if they are truly being persecuted.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is scary...

"I got into politics because I knew government didn't have the real answers, that the real answers lie in accepting Jesus Christ into our lives... I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."
- Mike Huckabee

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Should a minister (or priest or rabbi, whatever) be allowed to run for office?

One of the primary points of our constitution and our laws is to protect minorities and their voice. But lets assume that all christians voted for a jesus-heavy candidate who says what BS quoted.

Clearly, minorities would not be protected by such a proclamation and change in our govt?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You mean like the checks & balance of Congress and SCotUS who bent to the 'will' of the Bush Admin in invading Iraq?
Yeah, that one :thumb:

Minorities will always be valuable as political pawns, the cache of inner-city crack babies can be taken directly to the bank.*

*For maximum cache, said crack baby must be a visible minority.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Should a minister (or priest or rabbi, whatever) be allowed to run for office?
Separation of church and state? One could argue that if someone repeatedly claims to ignore logic as the definitive part of their decision making process they are unfit to govern on mental health grounds anyway.

One of the primary points of our constitution and our laws is to protect minorities and their voice. But lets assume that all christians voted for a jesus-heavy candidate who says what BS quoted.

Clearly, minorities would not be protected by such a proclamation and change in our govt?
Very probably. I think even right now this happens a bit.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Scary thing about Huck, though, despite all of his completely wack-job statements (replacing the income tax with a fair use tax, etc), he seems... the "least evil" one up on the stage at each of the debates. He's willing to stand up there, state his beliefs, and not go back and change/refute past statements and positions that he's made (I'm looking at you Romney, Giuliani, McCain, Hillary, Edwards, etc). It feels like he's the only one who's not pandering to the electorate.

It also seems like his positions are based on benevolent feelings, and that he actually does have good intentions behind them. For example, think of something like opposition to abortion:

Bush's view - He knows better than you do because he has personally talked to god, and he's here to protect you from yourself
Karl Rove - Has realized that abortion is a wedge issue that can be used to separate Americans and win elections...
Huckabee - I get the feeling that he really cares about the people involved, both the fetus as well as the pregnant woman. His view just seems... real.

It just seems like a bit of fresh air when we're inundated with upper-upper-upper class elites and party loyalists who will both say anything, and do anything just to get elected.

Granted, voting for someone who "gets it" and is just like the rest of the populace is what gave us GWB, so...:disgust:

edit: the fact that N8 hates him is also a positive. :thumb:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I cringed watching that clip... couldn't finish it.

By the way, I haven't been paying too close attention but isn't the idea of having Bill in Hillary's corner an advantage for her campaign?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

By the way, I haven't been paying too close attention but isn't the idea of having Bill in Hillary's corner be an advantage for her campaign?

I think they have (generally) been holding him back in reserve as a "Use only if really needed weapon".
I'd expect to see him figure more prominently over the next few weeks.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
My prediction is that Bill as a secret weapon will backfire. Nothing is more spineless than claiming the accomplishments of another as your own and if americans are too thick to add that up in their heads, Hill's opponent will point it out for them.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I don't think using Bill as a 'secret weapon' would do anything, but what about the 'peace of mind' knowing you have a successful 2-term president close by?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I don't think using Bill as a 'secret weapon' would do anything, but what about the 'peace of mind' knowing you have a successful 2-term president close by?
I can buy into that as a plus point. I like Obama more though (I think...).

My main problem with Hillary is that she's establishment (Essentially another AIPAC puppet etc.), but frankly there is good establishment and bad, and she is at least 'better than average' on that scale. Having said that even Obama is getting used to the AIPAC type dick in his ass - see his Palestine position pre and during campaign for example.

I guess I'd be happy with Billary or Osama really. Most of the reds revolt me on most levels and the other blues are ****e. There's not really deal of choice.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I really feel like US media has lost the plot. The more election **** I see the more I feel nearly all mainstream political commentary has this fundamental flaw:

They comment on the packaging, not the content. It is like they are incapable of fact checking, or any level of comparative discussion beyond presentation, perception and form.

So a candidate makes (unfortunately rare) statement of policy:

"So Bill, what did you think of xx's statement?"
"Well, I thought he had a great tie and looked confident. That'll play well with the voters."

Seriously.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Scary thing about Huck, though, despite all of his completely wack-job statements (replacing the income tax with a fair use tax, etc), he seems... the "least evil" one up on the stage at each of the debates. He's willing to stand up there, state his beliefs, and not go back and change/refute past statements and positions that he's made (I'm looking at you Romney, Giuliani, McCain, Hillary, Edwards, etc). It feels like he's the only one who's not pandering to the electorate.
I agree to a certain extent but I think that makes him a bit to much like Bush, and I also have the problem that I disagree fairly fundamentally with the things he cares about most.

Re: Tax - Even if he was president, I think unless he engineered some sort of financial 9/11 there is no way the real power in America (the people who own and run the banks) would allow that to ever come about.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I really feel like US media has lost the plot. The more election **** I see the more I feel nearly all mainstream political commentary has this fundamental flaw:

They comment on the packaging, not the content. It is like they are incapable of fact checking, or any level of comparative discussion beyond presentation, perception and form.

So a candidate makes (unfortunately rare) statement of policy:

"So Bill, what did you think of xx's statement?"
"Well, I thought he had a great tie and looked confident. That'll play well with the voters."

Seriously.
And you too can vote in Florida....

Seriously.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...but what about the 'peace of mind' knowing you have a successful 2-term president close by?
I would be thrilled if Hillary had the same 2-terms as Bill.

We need a lot more fiscal responsibility and ironically, it was a Dem PotUS that did it for us and then a Rep screwed it all up.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

By the way, I haven't been paying too close attention but isn't the idea of having Bill in Hillary's corner an advantage for her campaign?
How many Dims presidential candidates has Bill managed to fvck over their chances for winning the election???

Let's see:

algore
JFKerry (Vietam war hero)

and now Hillary

cool!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How many Dims presidential candidates has Bill managed to fvck over their chances for winning the election???

Let's see:

algore
JFKerry (Vietam war hero)

and now Hillary

cool!
Come on man, there have been plenty of great Repub PotUS, you know that, but stop being so partisan, stop supporting Bush and also recognize that there is no Reagan running this time.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Come on man, there have been plenty of great Repub PotUS, you know that, but stop being so partisan, stop supporting Bush and also recognize that there is no Reagan running this time.
I'm just saying Bill Clinton supporting your candidacy is a Kiss-of-Death... that's all.

I don't like anyone so far this election year... R or D.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I'm just saying Bill Clinton supporting your candidacy is a Kiss-of-Death... that's all.

Hang about????? :wtf:

I thought Kerry/Gore were suposed to not have done so well BECAUSE Clinton didn't do much active campaigning for them????? :panic:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I would agree, except that the two remaining candidates last time -- GWB and Kerry -- had to be the worst two remain ever.

I'm a Dem and say that I liked Bush Sr and Reagan much better than these tools. Tho I do like Bill even more than them. Just sayin'.