Quantcast

Huckleberry

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I saw this bike last year at Whistler and talked with the guy for a bit. He rode it down Garbonzo no problem, It was a kick to see him do switchbacks. Does anyone know anyting about it or anymore pics? This is the only pic I could find and it was on PB.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its a mountain bike pivot bike. It had a brake to stop it from pivoting. It was so cool to watch him ride it down GARBONZO.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
My son built that bike to try out an idea and have some fun.

I met him in Whistler and he rode that crazy hard tail on every trail I rode w/ my V10. The best trick I saw him do was land the box car with the bike in the kinked position like in the photo, ride it out then straighten it before stepping down. I know my son shot some video w/ the latest Vio set up so I'll ask him to post something for you. Unfortunately the prototype was stolen in San Fran and hasn't turned up which is too bad, the fork had a sick paint job.

J

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
your son is one crazy mofo.

i like it! too bad some mother f'er stole it....i hope he gets hurt on it (the thief,not your kid)

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
So what exactly is the point?
I guess the point was to put an idea on the mountain and see what it would do. It was trip to watch in the corners and switch backs.

He did mount a front brake and he designed the hydro actuated release (mounted under top tube) for the pivot brake so that you’d pull the lever to release it and then let go of the lever to lock it in to the desired position. Also, he did all the welding and metal work. I was impressed with the workmanship.

J

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
i am totally intrigued. It seems totally ridicoulous, but a blast to tear around on! I saw one on a Video of the Dirt Mag HQ... i want one... i might have to go try to make one... but no way in the word would it be as nice as that!!! please more info

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I can't imagine a bike thief riding that thing away lol.
that was my first thought. ultimate security = nobody but me can ride it :clue:

...i've often wondered if i could just leave my uni unlocked since nobody could ride it and who the hell would want it. of course, some asshat would steal it since it could just as easily be picked up and carried away.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Honestly, I couldn't believe the thing when I saw it. Didn't see the point. But after riding with him and Julian (BigJ) I couldn't believe how fast he could ride it and the tricks he could pull.

To answer the why, it's the same thing as freeriding as opposed to downhill racing. It's something different and fun.

Anyway, he's a nice kid and a great metal worker. He built that bike himself. The only place I have seen him with the bike online is on myspace. If your interested in finding out more, PM Julian and I am sure he can point you in the right direction

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Mad bike, would love to see it in action. Cant say I'd want one though, coming from a skate board back ground and seeing those pivoting skate boards along the board walks around town.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
What the hell does this thing do that a normal bike doesn't?

Last time I checked, there were no .5m radius bends on most trails. Absolute waste of time.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
What the hell does this thing do that a normal bike doesn't?

Last time I checked, there were no .5m radius bends on most trails. Absolute waste of time.
As are you. Build something better yourself you knocker :(

I think it is great thinking outside the square, would never had thought of something like that myslef.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I was with Kanter last year at Whistler when we saw it. Totally wicked. I didn't really "get it" until I saw it in action. Really unique and innovative design, looked like a fun bike.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I saw the video while in Whistler last year. We watched it directly off of his laptop. They were still shooting more promo video. Maybe Big J (Julian) will ask him to post it up.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Ran into this kid last year at the end of the A Line shale section. Unbelievable. No purpose wahtsoever, other than as a 'what if'. Incredible dedication - unique thought process. The sort of thing that in 30 years history will look back on and say "and THIS was the first invention of...." I don't think a mind that unique should be stopped at this stage.

There is another bike similar that floats around the village from time to time, the 'dude' riding it compares it to surfing or skating. The ride is much more about carving and leaning than steering. Mental.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
haha - crazy bike. Would love to see what this rides like. A bit unruly I imagine. Where's the video?