Quantcast

Hucktastic time at Santos....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
we were down in orlando again to visit the in-laws and so my trade off for playing nice all week was a free day at santos in ocala.
noah was all stoked to hit the smallest of the big drops which used to be about 4' but once we got there we realized that erosion has made it quite a bit larger and a bit too nasty for him to try safely. luckily we found a set of smaller drops that he sessioned for a while. we rode the multiple dj lines and the pump track for a while before i got up the nerve to hit the 15' huck.

anyway, another big thumbs up to the ocala mountain bike association for building such a sick place in flat florida, making my dreaded trips to the limestone state a little more bearable.

pics:
noah working the beginner line, he cleaned just about the entire rhythm section

he boosted the crap out of the big table at the end of the line and eventually cleared it by his standards (got his front wheel on the tranny)

same pic with a little editing

a little huckage

being that santos is a limestone quarry, there are plenty of caves to be explored. noah inside one that led to a huge room big enough for me to stand in

exit hole for the connecting cave..needless to say, i couldn't fit through that one

i finally let my nuts drop and hit the 15 footer (i didn't measure it, that's what the map says so don't pinkbike me....) and as usual, no one in attendance knows how to work my camera so they came out blurry...but good enough. at least you can't see the "oh sh$t!!!" look on my face ;)

noah on a trail feature at the exit gate

good times :thumb:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Manimal glad to see you had a great time and are still in one piece. Next time you know your gonna be in the area let me know. With a little notice I can probally get off duty to meet ya. All the drops there are awesome and the dirt jumps also. Ride the freeride trail if you didn't next time but have a granny gear. I'll be in Ga next month and wil be riding Clemson and other places. Let me know.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i wish my brother still lived in gainesville,GA so i'd have somewhere close to carters/central park to use as base camp for a long weekend of riding. oh well, the 5hr drive tends to keep me away from anything but races down there.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Your kid goes HUGE!

A couple of months ago I saw his bike at Cycletherapy, Mike said you might have rear brake tabs welded to it. I suggested a Magura hydraulic rim brake for it as an alternative. They are kind of primitive in their set up buy are very strong.

Specialized used to make a rear disc adapter for their original FSR. It mounted on the brake boss and ran down to the drop out. I can't remember how it attached to the drop out though. Maybe you could find one of those some where.

Good luck

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Your kid goes HUGE!

A couple of months ago I saw his bike at Cycletherapy, Mike said you might have rear brake tabs welded to it. I suggested a Magura hydraulic rim brake for it as an alternative. They are kind of primitive in their set up buy are very strong.

Specialized used to make a rear disc adapter for their original FSR. It mounted on the brake boss and ran down to the drop out. I can't remember how it attached to the drop out though. Maybe you could find one of those some where.

Good luck
holy crap that's a great idea! i can't believe i didn't think of it, the hydro rim brake would save some weight as well! i'll see if i can find one on e-bay.....do you know if you can run the levers in close to the bar on those?

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
Which cave is the big one you are talking about being able to stand in? The on that enters through the crack in the ground by the old car?

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
Nah the car is still there. Its like 30 feet from the hole, it's an old gremlin I believe.

BTW sweet pics, that kid screds.

How far did you go back in the cave? The farthest I have gone is about 3 feet, then it drops prob 6-8 feet down a shaft into a little room with a sugar sand bottom. Then the passage gets about a foot tall by like 3 feet wide and you can keep going and supposedly it opens back up, but I have never gone that far.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
holy crap that's a great idea! i can't believe i didn't think of it, the hydro rim brake would save some weight as well! i'll see if i can find one on e-bay.....do you know if you can run the levers in close to the bar on those?
I just checked my stash of old parts. I've got a front brake with a broken lever. You might be able to order a lever through a shop. However, you would still need hydraulic line, new pads and the stud for the brake boss. I've probably got the owners manual around here somewhere that would list the part numbers. I imagine these parts are still available because trials riders continue to run the Maguras. You welcome to it.

As far as running the brake levers in close to the bar, Noah could try out my set up on my old hardtail. My studio is located in downtown Winston.

Let me know.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
acme - i only went in the main part of the cave as i didn't want to risk getting stuck in the tiny hole leading to the next "room"...but noah fit just fine.

angrymetalsmith - i'll send you a pm after furniture market when i'll have time to look into the brake thing.