Quantcast

Huge reality check.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I hate hearing this stuff...

But this is exactly why I purchased a Leatt last year, i dont wear much armor (most of the time just knee pads) but I do wear the Leatt (I bought the cheap one) but who cares, it isnt the blingy'est out there but it makes me feel good when stuff gets gnarly.

Everyone should be riding with these things, like others above just said it isnt worth it...Regardless of the cost get one, we spend hundreds on helmets, and I dont know why this is any different.

Took me about 20 minutes to get used to mine, really guys they arent that bad at all.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Best wishes to your friend. I've been reading through this thread and get the feeling people think it will never happen if they get a Leatt brace. Just be aware that it can totally happen even with a Leatt brace on. It lessens the chances, yes, but there is still a chance. Please, don't buy a LEatt and feel like you can ride and take chances because you have it. I hate hearing news like this. Ride safe everyone

Exactly......Leatt does a great job of protecting the neck/upper back. Doesn't do anything for the rest of your back. That being said I'm likely going to have one for the 2010 season.

Good luck to Matt

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Bumping again. Matt just wrote this:

"That First Day"

It was a beautiful sunny July morning in Ashland, Oregon. I was busy cleaning up after making breakfast when my friend Tony called to go ride. He had an ambitious plan to show his Uncle Jeff, visiting from LA, some of Southern Oregon’s finest mountain biking. The plan was to meet up at noon at the bottom of Chuck’s Chips, shuttle Chuck’s a couple of times, and then go shuttle Mt Ashland a couple of times. If all went well we would get about 15,000 vertical feet of some of the finest single track around. As we made our way down the fire road, I was filling Tony in on the status of my relationship with Beth and Tony was giving me the update about his work. Beth was a girl I had been seeing, which had finally gotten serious after a roller coaster start. In addition, I had found some work after not working for several months. I was feeling high on life and things were looking up. We laughed and joked while we rode along oblivious to what the future held.

Ten minutes later we arrived at a double jump that signifies the start of the single track. We pulled up to take a look and I decided I was going to give it a go. I rode back up the road turned around and started my approach. The only thing I can remember after approaching the jump is the sound of a helicopter. The next thing I know is I’m waking up in the ER at Providence Medical Center with a nun in my face asking if there was someone they could call. Apparently, after my crash Tony called 911, EMS showed up after using the ‘Jaws of Life’ to get through a forest service gate that was blocking the road. EMS personnel stabilized me enough to allow Mercy Flights to fly me to Providence Medical Center.

Somehow I was able to tell the nice lady to call my girlfriend, Beth, while fading in and out of consciousness. Shortly after that Tony and Beth were there, the anguish written all over their faces told me things were far from good. Then the doctor came in with CT scans of my neck and then gave me the worst news I had ever heard. He said I was paralyzed from the neck down and I would never walk again. Then he said I had dislocated C6 and he needed to operate immediately or I might not make it. Tony, Beth, and the pastor from the Manor, where Beth works, came in and prayed with me then I was wheeled into surgery. I remember having a distinct thought that I really didn’t want to survive if I was going to lose the use of my legs. The thought of never walking again was unbearable. The last thing I remember before coming to in the Critical Care Unit is the doctor drilling a screw into the side of my skull.

When I opened my eyes in the CCU the first thing I saw were a pair of beautiful green eyes and as the face came into focus it was Beth. At that moment I was happy to have survived the surgery and just maybe life was worth living after all. Then I saw Tony and I learned there were at least twenty people at the hospital anxiously waiting to see if I was all right. That moment has been forever burned into my memory as the best and worst memory of my life. The worst memory because I had lost the use of my legs and my hyper active lifestyle had come to a screeching halt. It was the best memory because I had discovered that I had an amazing group of friends and an amazing girlfriend.

Since then life has been a daily struggle. There is no area of my life that has not been affected. The year before my accident, I was exploring the remote peaks of the Trinity Alps looking for new lines to ski, hurling myself off waterfalls deep in the Sierra’s and now a big day is wheeling around a city park. The heartbreak I feel on a daily basis from the loss of my legs, my independence and my very identity is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome to keep pressing on towards recovery and enjoying each day. Each and every day I struggle with accepting my condition and making the most of everyday while not giving up on a full recovery. I’m luckier than most in my situation. I have a loving supportive family and an amazing group of friends that have been there for me from day 1 and are still here 2-1/2 years later. Because of this amazing support I have made outstanding progress both physically and mentally and this support I press on towards the goal of a full recovery.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its not easy. I have a cousin who's quadriplegic too. Odd how it brings the family together. Doc's gave him 2-3 years to live after the accident. that was over a decade ago, and my cousin is still chugging along.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Stuff like this honestly makes you think.. What could happen on your next rides

I have had a couple reality checks. The first being in 2010 I overshot a Table and nose cased a berm and OTB'd. I was carrying some decent speed and tucked and rolled. Ended up with a compounf fracture to my humerous, broken ribs and and disclated knee. It made me think twice before doing any jumps or drops. Really scared the daylights out of me

My reality check that made me buy a leatt was a rainy Diablo Day. I was riding Bushwack with a couple friends with less expierence. If anyone has riddn bushwack they will know where I crashed. As soon as your come down the initial part of the trail theres those 3-4 little 1 foot wood drops. Then you come to a rock face with a left and right line.. I choose left and thats where i crashed. As I was coming down the wood things fast I was skipping some and ended up landing halfways down after doubling one set up. I landed on a wet loose rock. As I tried to regain control of the bike I got to the rock face where I completely lost control. I was in the classic nuts of the bar fish tale. as soon i hit the rock fac i went straight for a tree. Head first into the tree. Helmet shattered on impact and fell off my head. knocked me out cold.

That said If i had been to the right on my line 2 inches I would have gone into the tree neck first. That was my wake up call.

I now ride a helmet and leatt. You can fix arms and legs, but a neck and head are permanent damage. if you wear a helmet a neck brace is equally important