Quantcast

hugi vs king

ubergirl

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
michigan
any thoughts on hugi versus chris king rear hubs? I am most concerned about engagement speed, then weight, and always price (unfortunately).

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I have had very good luck with my Hugi 240s (F&R), but I have several friends who have blown out their rear hubs. They were all from a similar batch, though, and Hugi has apparently remedied the problem.

I purchased the hubs because they were the lightest on the market and reasonably priced. That said, most people will probably recommend you save up for the Kings. Insanely durable and light.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Originally posted by ubergirl
any thoughts on hugi versus chris king rear hubs? I am most concerned about engagement speed, then weight, and always price (unfortunately).
Based on your criteria King has faster engagement, Hugi 240s are lighter, and Hugi are cheaper as well. I've been running Hugi 240 hubs for several years with no complaints. The new upgraded 240s hubs are very sweet, we've built up a bunch of them. I can get a confirmed weight if you need it. King definetly has the bling factor going though.

I was pondering the same Hugi v. King conundrum, then remembered the White Industries Discotec Ti, which weighs only slightly more than the Hugi, is only slightly harder to disassemble and rebuild and costs less. It isn't as loud as either the Hugi or the buzzbomb, either and has a large diameter hub flange.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Have you given thought to the WTB LaserDisc Lites? I've not heard anything about them, but they are light and they are cheap.

Originally posted by Mike B.
King definetly has the bling factor going though.
Oh, yeah baby! If you consider your wheelset an investment, and hope to run it for many years, purchase the Kings. Good resale, too.

ubergirl

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
michigan
Originally posted by Mike B.
Based on your criteria King has faster engagement, Hugi 240s are lighter, and Hugi are cheaper as well. I've been running Hugi 240 hubs for several years with no complaints. The new upgraded 240s hubs are very sweet, we've built up a bunch of them. I can get a confirmed weight if you need it. King definetly has the bling factor going though.

bling bling... whateva! :) so, how much faster do you think the king is than the hugi? in comparison to how much more expensive it is? I do consider these hubs THE last ones I'll be getting, so this is a fairly big decision for me. I am pretty committed to the hugi front... unless you all convince me otherwise of course ;)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
bling bling... whateva! :) so, how much faster do you think the king is than the hugi? in comparison to how much more expensive it is? I do consider these hubs THE last ones I'll be getting, so this is a fairly big decision for me. I am pretty committed to the hugi front... unless you all convince me otherwise of course ;)
The King is, uh, a crap-load faster. The 240 has 18 clicks, the King has 72 so I guess it's 4x faster than the Hugi. Theres a very big diff. in speed although they use somewhat similar engagement methods....

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
I am pretty committed to the hugi front
We've discussed this in another thread, so I know I speak for several monkeys when I say there is only one good reason to get a King front hub: to match a King rear hub.

A front hub is mechanically one of the most simple moving parts on a bike. To pay major bucks for one is a waste. Go with a light, inexpensive hub that has sealed bearings, and it should last you a long, long time. Also, consider that many people are going with 20mm front hubs, even for XC, so it may not be the last front hub you buy.

And, yes, buying a King front hub just to match the rear is perfectly acceptable.

Phatswalla

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yeah there's no reason to get an expensive front hub as long as you get one with cartridge bearings. Marzocchi QR20+ hubs are an especially good deal. Generic QBP ones work well for me too.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by gunslingger
they ALL come with 108 point engagement now and I saw themn on sale at UNIVERSALCYCLES.com................
Yeah, I just had a buddy pick up a pair from Universal at a good price.

Dude, we hit the Larch WA FR trails earlier today. I'll post a thread in the PNW forum to fill in everyone on the conditions. Hint: WET.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I am new, anywhere around the camas side of things? I was out building some stuff in Scappoose this weeked cuz I was without a fork. We have a good little thing going out there. Nothing huge right now but everything is pretty close so you have to land it smooth. next is a hip across the trail to a wall ride, though I have never built a wall ride so we shall see.

as for wet I rode wildcat 2 weeks ago and it was a mud bath....

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
i picked up a rear and i had a king before, can I tell the difference? NO but the HADLEY are stealth, no sound, but the clicking sound is cool so that may be bad!

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by gunslingger
I am new, anywhere around the camas side of things? I was out building some stuff in Scappoose this weeked cuz I was without a fork. We have a good little thing going out there. Nothing huge right now but everything is pretty close so you have to land it smooth. next is a hip across the trail to a wall ride, though I have never built a wall ride so we shall see.

as for wet I rode wildcat 2 weeks ago and it was a mud bath....
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77885

Check yer PMs.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Hugi fullstop.

Lighter than Kings, very easy to work on if ever you need to. Plus you gotta love that star ratchet sound..... ohhh yeah.

Very solid engagement of ratchet, very durable hub.

I've only ever seen one failure of a Hugi a split main body, however the guy was to be polite, corpulent and rode like a bulldozer straight through things.

ubergirl

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
michigan
Hello all, just an update on my post from a while ago... I ended up getting the Hugi front and rear hubs laced to Sun/Ringle UFO's. I am VERY impressed with the Hugi's. I have noticed significantly quicker engagement, especially during "delicate" moves on obstacles. As far as comparing them to King's, I will not know... but I can say the Hugi's are great and they cost a bundle less than the King's. Ride on and thanks for your input!

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Phatswalla
Yeah there's no reason to get an expensive front hub as long as you get one with cartridge bearings. Marzocchi QR20+ hubs are an especially good deal. Generic QBP ones work well for me too.
The marcocchi front hubs are awesome and reasonably cheap, mine is doing quite well. Sealed cartridge bearing, 20mm axle, high flange.... what more do you need?

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I'll third the marzocchi qr20 hub. they're just about anything you can ask for from a front hub. They spin well, run cartridge bearings, and look to be well made. I run one on my bullit and it's never given me a problem.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Another good choice for hubs is Hope Bulbs. The front, just like the Hugi FR hub is convertable from QR to TA or vice-versa. I think the Hope Bulb is the lightest 20mm TA hub. Congrts on the new hoops and hubs.