Quantcast

Humidity - How do you guys in the South do it??

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I have a new respect for those of you in the South who ride when the humidity is cranked...

I grew up in hot weather, but this humidity stuff is torture. It's around 90° and was starting to rain a little bit ago.:dead:

I understand that this is a completely pointless thread, but I have a new respect for Southerners who ride....:trophy_br

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I either ride early in the morning(sunrise) when the temps are down, but the humidity is high, or in the late evening(6ish) when the temps are up and the humidity is at its lowest.

Mid morning is about as bad as it gets when the temps are rising and the humidity is still high.

Oh yeah, I take up road riding in the summer so I can get a little air flow.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Here in SoCal it's been in the triple digits with scattered rain. I ride in the evening at about dusk when it's cooling off and it's less humid. Yesterday I did a ride at about 6:30 and it was 105 when I left. Just gotta drink and get used to it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have one big secret that y'all don't have, shade. I'll take hot and humid under a forest canopy over cooking in direct sunlight.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
lots of water.......the worst it ca nget in the summer here is right after a thunder storm on a 95 degree day when everything is steaming....thats when us southerners sprout gills for a while.

hell i havent even had air conditioning in my house for years now.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
A true southerner simply gets drunk on the front porch to combat the midday heat.

I was born in Georgia and spent my formative years there, southern Mississippi and New Orleans, Lousiana. I can't imagine living where it's not hot. I live in northern Virginia now and it's just as hot here as it was in Atlanta.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Weather for Salt Lake City, UT

100°F
Scattered Clouds
Wind: N at 7 mph
Humidity: 15%

High altitudes do have bonuses...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
blue said:
Weather for Salt Lake City, UT

100°F
Scattered Clouds
Wind: N at 7 mph
Humidity: 15%

High altitudes do have bonuses...
Heading for the hills helps too. Last year a nice 99 degree day was unbearable at home. Rode up to only 3000 ft and it was 8 degrees cooler and felt much dryer.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Westy said:
Heading for the hills helps too. Last year a nice 99 degree day was unbearable at home. Rode up to only 3000 ft and it was 8 degrees cooler and felt much dryer.
On Bald Mountain summit at DV yesterday (10k feet) it was still 95 degrees. However, we typically don't have to contend with humidity unless the monsoonal flow rolls through...

*death*

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the first part of my usual ride is a descent of about 300' (i think)...fairly long, somewhat technical descent...by the time i'm at the bottom, which is near a creek, i can push my helmet against my head and watch a stream of sweat fall.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
most of my training rides start about noonish. 3-4 hours some rides w/ or without intervals in that weather can make for an interesting day.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
sheeuht, water, whut?? just smoke lots and lotso crack, that coupled with a couple good spoonz fullo the hooron, and that's all you need for the humidididity

werd

joe joe from kokomo, buckskin belly, rubber butthole

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
We have one big secret that y'all don't have, shade. I'll take hot and humid under a forest canopy over cooking in direct sunlight.
I ran across this old thread and noticed this post. Westy was absolutely right. The canopy (and tons of water) is my favorite riding accessory these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I ran across this old thread and noticed this post. Westy was absolutely right. The canopy (and tons of water) is my favorite riding accessory these days.
Typically as long as you keep moving, it's OK. The second you stop . . . BAM. Plus it's been extra humid (although not to hot until yesterday) recently due to 2 weeks of almost constant rain.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I will take humidity over getting cooked by direct sunlight. Fortunately I don't have to deal with either much anymore. That is unless you are talking about 40 freedom degrees and 100% humidity.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Two days of my backpacking trip in Grayson Highlands back in October the humidity was 100%. It certainly was not hot but everything did get soggy.

I'm as okay with riding in 90°+ and humidity as I am hiking during thunderstorms or at night. Good ways to get some solo time in the woods. Can't always be sunny days, rainbows and unicorns.

Last edited: