Quantcast

Hummer H3? Will we hate these owners too?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
BigMike said:
I really think they should implement a driving course before you can buy an SUV. They should make you pass tests on driving in parking lots, PARKING in parking lots, paralell parking (BIG one for me, especially in the city!) and knowing the limits of U-Turns. I hate when a little 30 somthing women parks her H2 in the Kroger Parking lot, taking up two spaces, and when she backs out of the space doesnt know how to use her mirrors and can't see anyone behind her. Or the guys who buy one to be cool and then can't park it in the city.
Just SUV owners? There's a lot of "proof" on the roads on a daily basis regardless of vehicle driven, that stronger and more frequent driving skills tests should be administered.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Dont get me wrong, i am not a huge h2 lover, but i have spent some time driving one. I think the real idiots are the ones that pay the same amount for an h2 for vehicles like the Yukon Denali and the Escalade...:nuts:

I mean like it was posted above, the H2 is a capable offroad vehicle "offroad" in the sense that it can still be driven on the highway. Yeah its huge and a gashog, but the damn thing is comfy to ride in...

that said i drive a modded jetta...:eviltongu

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thrillkil said:
The M998 is the only real option, if you're buying a hummer
:stupid:

My personal favorite is the M966. I'm licensed for both though. The ambulance is too top heavy.

The H2 and H3 are pointless.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
MMike said:
It's based on the Colorado/Avalanche chassis
Half of that is correct. The other half is very very very wrong. Oh yeah. 0 problems with my Colorado.

Gotta love American vehicles.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm not going to bother to read the whole thread but the H3 is actually a fairly capable truck. It has a rear locker and is much smaller than the H2. GM knows people think the H2 is a joke off-road so they really tried to rectify that with the H3. They did lots of testing on the rubicon trail last summer. I would actually drive one for the right price and that's saying a lot since I am a die-hard Toyota fan.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i shuttled an h1 owner up the hill the other day (unfortunately he was butt-slow on the downhill, so we didn't wait around for a return trip in his truck); his license plate read 'H2EATR'. Nice enough guy. Just moved to vancouver from ontario & decided to try the riding out here - he rolled up with a shiny new sx trail, armour, clothes & troy lee that he just bought that day...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
16/20 mpg estimated by GM on the H3.

Reality puts it closer to 12/16 I would reckon.

What a crapchunk.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
H8R said:
16/20 mpg estimated by GM on the H3.

Reality puts it closer to 12/16 I would reckon.

What a crapchunk.

That is just bad engineering. Of course the engineers have less to do with the design than the marketing and accounting folks do.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ummbikes said:
Bottom line. The H2 is capable of thriving in Moab, the Rubicon, .

Okaayyyy. The rubicon trail is about 5 miles from my house. As someone who actually has done the thing in my father's souped up CJ when he decides he needs a vacation, I can positively aboslutely 100% say that's complete bullsh!t. As a matter of fact there's a litte point, not even a mile into the trail from the tahoe side where all the little hummer club outings turn around because no fatass box on wheels is going to make it between some of the rocks. This I've actually seen with my own eyes.

Find me one account of an H2 anywhere near stock making it from tahoe to loon lake or vise versa and I'll mail you my DH bike.:D

What they are good at is sliding into ditches on icy roads around here.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I got stuck behind an H3 in Bellevue earlier this evening. The only observations I could make were that if him and his H3 and me and my crappy Accord were in an accident, he would destroy me. Just that fact made me hate the driver and his big tires even more than I normally would.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
gschuette said:
I know what you said. I was just wondering if you saw the H3s.
I've done the trail twice in a jeep and once all the way through on a bike. And other than the group I saw turning around (of about 15 H2s) I never saw anything even closely resembling the ineptness of a long wheelbased hummer.:) But I'm not one of the locals, I have too many teeth.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been on that trail? There are spots so tight that even a jeep has to do 12 point turns......and gets scraped. I'd personally love to see an H3 try to get through little sluice box or up cadillac hill. Those are seriously the only times I've ever been scared in an automobile (partly because I didn't own it.:D )

I got curious and I found little press release bits of an h3 test vehicle with nothing more than larger tires but do you know if one them made it all the way through? If so I must say I'm still impressed. They're no h2 but still seem too large to get through some of the spots I remember.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Sounds to me like you hate freedom.

kidwoo said:
I've done the trail twice in a jeep and once all the way through on a bike. And other than the group I saw turning around (of about 15 H2s) I never saw anything even closely resembling the ineptness of a long wheelbased hummer.:) But I'm not one of the locals, I have too many teeth.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been on that trail? There are spots so tight that even a jeep has to do 12 point turns......and gets scraped. I'd personally love to see an H3 try to get through little sluice box or up cadillac hill. Those are seriously the only times I've ever been scared in an automobile (partly because I didn't own it.:D )

I got curious and I found little press release bits of an h3 test vehicle with nothing more than larger tires but do you know if one them made it all the way through? If so I must say I'm still impressed. They're no h2 but still seem too large to get through some of the spots I remember.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
maxyedor said:
GM says that the h3 is rubicon trail tested they never tell you if it passed the test. If you realy want to off-road in style go buy a Land Rover Disco, used of course.
I found some pictures, and they definitely went to the loon lake end. I recognize some of the areas but not the gnarly ones.

Here's another one of me standing in quite an interetsing spot. My girlfriend is in the back, my dad driving and I'm spotting him down about a 40 degree slope listening for tires breaking loose so I can jump the hell out of the way. There's also only one line up/down this thing without pretty much rolling off the side of a little cliff to the driver's left.

We had to wench up this thing coming the other way. We also watched 3 other very well outfitted trucks......two wenched, the third just freakin rammed up it after piling a few rocks. Thinking back on it I just can't picture even an h3 gittin 'er done.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
No I have never been on the Rubicon. I have done quite a few 4+ Jeep trails in Moab. I have been a wee bit scared out there before though. I heard that the H3 mules made it all the way to the end and back again. I know Grand Cheerokees make it and the H3 isn't much bigger than that if it is even bigger at all. It should fit in the tight spots and I know that it has the cpapbility and gearing to get there. There is just a lot of I hate the H2 because _______ so therefore the H3 is a piece of crap. So sorry if I came across slightly hostile.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
gschuette said:
No I have never been on the Rubicon. I have done quite a few 4+ Jeep trails in Moab. I have been a wee bit scared out there before though. I heard that the H3 mules made it all the way to the end and back again. I know Grand Cheerokees make it and the H3 isn't much bigger than that if it is even bigger at all. It should fit in the tight spots and I know that it has the cpapbility and gearing to get there. There is just a lot of I hate the H2 because _______ so therefore the H3 is a piece of crap. So sorry if I came across slightly hostile.
No not at all. I think they're much more reasonable vehicles than the h2s just from the looks of them. It's more like I'd like the shake the hand of anyone who actually could drive an h3 all the way through.....and also slap GM for saying it's "rubicon rated":rolleyes: :p

Most people have no idea just how gnarly that trail is. But yeah......as a whole that "sport" seems more unnerving than fun to me.

It's a size thing issue more than anything else. Honestly, most of the vehicles you see out there are either jeeps or something like a cherokee or bronco lifted of course with LOTS of diamond plate shielding.........all smaller still than an h3 but also protected because they know they're going to be hitting things.

As a side note I don't particularly like H2s for the most part because they're straight up dangerous where I live. I have to drive an expedition for field work in my job and those things just don't want to stop. I've never driven an h2 for anything more than changing parking spots with a friend but they're too big for grocery getters.....and much harder to stop than even the expedition I drive. Plus I live in a ski town so a lot of it is image, and that kind of bugs me. Especially when they really do endager people on icy roads in the hands of inexperienced drivers. I wasn't kidding about regularly seeing them in ditches earlier on in this thread.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
It think I could get a stock H3 with an adventure package through the trail somewhat unscathed. Maybe a few scratches and a stray dent but not too much.

Anyway I would just take the Jeep I posted a pic of a few pages back out if I were doing the Rubicon. Hell it says Rubicon on the hood.