Quantcast

Hunter S. Thompson dead...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Wow and I thought he'd die peacefully in his sleep at the ripe old age of 84. Sad to see, he was one out of the box. RIP.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
chicodude01 said:
Show some RESPECT stevew.
I never cared for him. I liked Mr. Cobain and he swallowed the end of a gun to. I had a friend of mine hang himself. In my opinion killing yourself is a crappy way to go.

Respect is such a fvcking tired word that gets thrown around way to much.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
I couldn't believe this when I just heard about it. Of all places, I was at a bar when someone told me (which seems remarkably appropriate). I called someone to ask them to verify it, and sure enough. He is the reason I chose Journalism as my major; he has been an inspiration to thousands.

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks."
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."

Rest in Peace, Hunter S. Thompson. Rest in Peace. You will be missed.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i too am a bit bummed that he decided to kill himself rather than let his life take its course....wondering if he knew he had a terminal disease.

and with this quote, i bid him godspeed:

The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men lie like dogs. There is also a negative side.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I figured he would OD. For journalists everywhere, it is one hell of a loss. He will be sorely missed.

I wouldnt be suprised however if his suicide was drug related....

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
He was damn fine writer.

The best teacher I ever had casually left a photocopied list of banned books on his desk in 1983. I was flunking 8th grade english for the second year in a row. I hated the crap we were reading in school. I was into Steven King.

Thinking I would be some super bad ass gangster, I began checking books out from the local public library that were on the list. Along with Vonnegut, Steinbeck, Golding, Twain you know, the best writers of the ninteenth and twentieth centuries, was this cat Hunter S. Thompson. I can see as a parent now why this guy was on the list. Drugs, sex, lawlessness, I was 13; it was a hell of a discovery.

Acedemicly I owe him a debt, he and the other "banned' writers allowed me to limp through high school.

Sad way to go.

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
I will miss that man... I think his life that I knew of has change me for the better, or atleast that the way it seems to me. I will spend the day mourning the loss of a great man.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I heard the news this morning. Major bummer.

<tin-foil hat>
Hard to believe he would chose this route seems highly out of character. Wife was out, son found him. Unless things have changed, I didn't think he had a good relationship with his son. More to the story?
</tin-foil hat>

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I thought half the crap he wrote about doing drugs was just writing. to my knowledge he was just a good old drunk, not a drug addict.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
if its a case of troubled-artist-suicide, I am going to be let down. that is so cliche.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
TN said:
if its a case of troubled-artist-suicide, I am going to be let down. that is so cliche.
Me too, but it will still be sad if the dude was ripped to the gills on acid and then blew his brains out.

He had been writing for ESPN's website quite a bit for the last few years. Some good stuff, and some tripe, but reading him on an entertainment website seemed a bit like how it would be to watch Jello Biafra at Disneyland.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
A friend from back home called me at 1 am last night and woke me up to tell me the news. I think alot of people like him are taking it pretty hard.

Hopefully they will do justice to his earliest work with The Rum Diary movie that is coming out later this year. RIP Doctor Gonzo.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i really don't mind, so i don't get too caught up in someone checking out at such an old age, but it really bothers me when somebody can't tough it out early in the game. Cobain left a kid behind with Courtney Love to raise, what a dick.... Later Mr. Duke.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Skookum said:
i really don't mind, so i don't get too caught up in someone checking out at such an old age, but it really bothers me when somebody can't tough it out early in the game. Cobain left a kid behind with Courtney Love to raise, what a dick.... Later Mr. Duke.
How long could you stay with Courtney Love without swallowing the business end of a shotgun?

I don't think I could last 30 seconds...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
statement from his wife:
"This is a triumph of his, not a desperate, tragic failure,"
sorry, but that sounds like bull$hit to me.

the whole column is creepy. "He did it in his mouth. His face was beautiful. It was quick. It was not grisly or gruesome by any means. That's probably why he took that gun. He spared us a gruesome scene" :confused:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
statement from his wife:

sorry, but that sounds like bull$hit to me.

the whole column is creepy. "He did it in his mouth. His face was beautiful. It was quick. It was not grisly or gruesome by any means. That's probably why he took that gun. He spared us a gruesome scene" :confused:

Yeah.. what a bizzare scene....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:
What? You've never been to a funeral where they blast the deceased carcass out of a cannon before :confused:

They oughta fill up his carcass with candy and treats and bust him like a piñata!