Quantcast

Hunting and riding in Washington

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I heard that riflle hunting season opens in Washington this weekend and was wondering if any of the Exits are used as "hunting grounds?" I know that some trails can be dangerous to ride in during hunting season due to the risk of being shot at and I want to live so if the Exits are used to hunting it be nice to know.
thanks

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
It's pretty obvious that ** is a popular biking destination, I can't see why anyone would be hunting on an established trail. I dunno about the far away ones though.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
stinky6 said:
I heard that riflle hunting season opens in Washington this weekend and was wondering if any of the Exits are used as "hunting grounds?" I know that some trails can be dangerous to ride in during hunting season due to the risk of being shot at and I want to live so if the Exits are used to hunting it be nice to know.
thanks
If you were riding at exit 27 you could get shot about 4 different ways. On the west side of highway 18 hunters are restricted to shotguns, muzzle loaders and bow. On the east side of hwy 18 high powered rifles are ok. Those would be some long shots from across the highway but you could take a slug, an arrow, and a ball. Oh yeah they can also use high powered hand guns-so add in a .44 slug. :thumb:

I dont have any figures but I think accidental shootings during hunting season are down as are the number of hunters. I ride all the time during the season. I dont really worry about it. I have kind of wondered how many times I have ridden past some guy disguised up in a tree or something.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
ioscope said:
It's pretty obvious that ** is a popular biking destination, I can't see why anyone would be hunting on an established trail. I dunno about the far away ones though.
Youve never been to capital forest then have you??

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
If there are deer in the area they will hunt it... Most hunters could care less where it's at as long as it's legal. I learned a thing or two from dating a major hunter for 6 years!

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
...and it doesn't have to be hunting season to get shot at the exits.

Last year I saw a couple people hit the deck while riding the John Wayne trail. Some asshat was shooting from up above the trail with his hand cannon. The couple came back later and said they could hear the bullets ripping through the nearby bushes.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
oly said:
Youve never been to capital forest then have you??
Oly were you with me pre-riding before a peak XC race when some dude was walking down the trail with his 30-06? I remember saying something like, "uh dude like 50 people are going to be riding laps here in a bit." He was really pissy about it. That was cool.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
ummbikes said:
Oly were you with me pre-riding before a peak XC race when some dude was walking down the trail with his 30-06? I remember saying something like, "uh dude like 50 people are going to be riding laps here in a bit." He was really pissy about it. That was cool.

yup, the guy said "accidents happen...." then when we told the sherif he was liek... "yea, there gonna be mad, its hunting season..."

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
oly said:
yup, the guy said "accidents happen...." then when we told the sherif he was liek... "yea, there gonna be mad, its hunting season..."

[REDNECKS=ourcommunity] Shheeeshhhhh I completely forgot that part. That is so darn funny. Douche bag hunters are ROxorz !!!11111111111 Lame a$$ good old boy deputy sherrifs suck too.[REDNECKS]

However, there are plenty of great non-douche bag people who hunt. So if you are one of them chill, and if you bag an elk I want to come over for a BBQ. I'll bring beer. And maybe some marinade.