Quantcast

Hunting at the exits

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
I was riding in today to hike up the bottom of 27 and saw three hunters walking out with rather large rifles that I am pretty sure would go right through my body armor...is this legal, never seen that before and kinda freaked me out....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I was riding in today to hike up the bottom of 27 and saw three hunters walking out with rather large rifles that I am pretty sure would go right through my body armor...is this legal, never seen that before and kinda freaked me out....
haha if they have all their licenses it's more legal than what you're doing up there.:clue:

Most all wildlands allow hunting, and many are places where mountain bikers ride. Make sure you wear bright colors this time of year, and ride with friends is always a good idea.

i tend to think that fear of hunters can be overblown, but you are not alone in your feelings.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
well note to self for next time....the camo fox rain jacket should stay at home
Along with the moose antler full face....

This topic comes up every couple of years. Lots of people recommend just getting an oversized orange safety vest at a hardware store, put that over your gear, and you can get flourescent safety tape and wrap that all over your bike, and vents in your helmet.

*edit*Choice: look stupid with no bullet holes or look cool with bullet holes.

Last edited:

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
yea i was up there didn't see them that day, but ya orange helmets or anything bright is a good idea, saw some hunters just about everytime i go up, at the very top watch out for bears.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
No matter what you wear they are not going to be happy with you.That is all a Hunter wants is someone rippin thru the woods making a bunch of noise.Another Idea Bear Bells on your bike.But hey if they can't take a joke then maybe they should'nt be hunting in peoples back yards.Remember people don't live all that far away from there,and of course that major Interstate.

Last edited:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
No matter what you wear they are not going to be happy with you.
i think you and me and everybody in this forum would have to agree that we don't really care all that much. But last thing you want to do is go out of your way to piss of a guy with a gun.

This is just a thought, the better you and all mountain bikers get along with hunters the better, especially for the Freeride tangent, i'll explain a little better after this next point.

maybe they should'nt be hunting in peoples back yards.Remember people don't live all that far away from there,and of course that major Interstate.
If you start looking at who makes it really hard to get any trails built in the forest, you won't find it to be the hunters. Many hunters like forest roads even gated, because they don't have to go too far into the backcountry to haul in there kill. They have to pack out elk,deer,bear, and that weighs quite a bit. It's easier to pack out of a trail, even more easier a road, even more easier a vehicle.
Easier to haul a big bike up a road than it is a trail and if you have a shuttle.... See what i'm getting at. There are a few hunters who use XC bikes to ride past gated roads.

So anyways hunting is legal, everybody knows that mt. biking should be legal there but..... i don't want to get into a debate on why that is and what it should be. i do want say that in public meeting with land managers it pays to be aligned with other user-groups. If they have a complaint from a few stupid people screwing around, that will likely make it harder for the people who are going to try to make it legal.

i know you're "probably" mostly joking, but all the same, i wanted to just put that out there for people to chew on....

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Bright colors are good and remember that most hunters make it out in to the woods about once a year, during hunting season, so as a general rule they don't hike too far.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
i think you and me and everybody in this forum would have to agree that we don't really care all that much. But last thing you want to do is go out of your way to piss of a guy with a gun.

This is just a thought, the better you and all mountain bikers get along with hunters the better, especially for the Freeride tangent, i'll explain a little better after this next point.

If you start looking at who makes it really hard to get any trails built in the forest, you won't find it to be the hunters. Many hunters like forest roads even gated, because they don't have to go too far into the backcountry to haul in there kill. They have to pack out elk,deer,bear, and that weighs quite a bit. It's easier to pack out of a trail, even more easier a road, even more easier a vehicle.
Easier to haul a big bike up a road than it is a trail and if you have a shuttle.... See what i'm getting at. There are a few hunters who use XC bikes to ride past gated roads.

So anyways hunting is legal, everybody knows that mt. biking should be legal there but..... i don't want to get into a debate on why that is and what it should be. i do want say that in public meeting with land managers it pays to be aligned with other user-groups. If they have a complaint from a few stupid people screwing around, that will likely make it harder for the people who are going to try to make it legal.

i know you're "probably" mostly joking, but all the same, i wanted to just put that out there for people to chew on....
Yes for the most part it was a joke.But behind most jokes lay a good bit of truth.I agree we all need to work together.But I do feel if you are really going to call yourself a hunter(I know you are not saying you are)Don't you think that they should get a little farther away from homes and freeways.How far does a stray bullet fly?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
How far does a stray bullet fly?
i'm not much on physics, but if you drop a bullet at shoulder height, and fire a gun level at the same time on a flat surface with no trees, both bullets will hit the ground at the same time.

I agree we all need to work together.But I do feel if you are really going to call yourself a hunter(I know you are not saying you are)Don't you think that they should get a little farther away from homes and freeways.
If they were really hunters they would climb a tree, pounce on an unsuspecting beast and rip their neck out with their teeth and fingernails.:monkey:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
"The Exits" are a little crazy. I'm not sure if 38 is still the same....but the several "informal shooting ranges" were just nuts. I eventually got used to the sound of semi automatic weapons.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
yeah 38 is always interesting with the impromptu gun shows there....my personal fav was a guy, his buddy, their rather large selection of what may have been full autos (too nervous to actualy ask), and one (or both) girlfriend...who was of course holding their beers....I am not sure what season it was but they sure killed that old TV DEAD!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
yeah 38 is always interesting with the impromptu gun shows there....my personal fav was a guy, his buddy, their rather large selection of what may have been full autos (too nervous to actualy ask), and one (or both) girlfriend...who was of course holding their beers....I am not sure what season it was but they sure killed that old TV DEAD!
I always looked forward to washer/dryer season.....driving home with an old top loader strapped to your fender.....makes ya feel like a man......

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I meet some hunters walking up to duval last year, made me think off a movie I saw once...

"you got some might purdy teeth boy, now lets just see you drop dem pants, now squeal boy squeal!"

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'm a hunter and a biker; and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If I'm hunting, I shouldn't be tromping around on the trails anyway - - I should have my butt parked on in good overlook cover, watching and listening. And I wouldn't mind a little clatter and commotion of an occasional bike on the trail: might kick something up and run it right under my nose. Win/win.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
no fuss, was just asking a Q....it sure as heel isn't my property, so I am just happy to use it and share it...I would just rather not get shot thats all. And since I had no idea hunting was allowed there I was a bit surprised...but now the wiser.

Out of curiosity is it buck they are hunting up there or bear?

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
The hunters I meet at Dv were friendly and knew all about the trail we were hiking up to ride,.. although at first it was a bit scetchy walking past to men with rifles at there side.

Last edited:

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
"The Exits" are a little crazy. I'm not sure if 38 is still the same....but the several "informal shooting ranges" were just nuts. I eventually got used to the sound of semi automatic weapons.
While, I have ridden and shot at 38, I believe both 27 and 38 are on DNR land which is touchy feely as far as what they allow shooting wise. I believe there have been tickets handed out for shooting up there, but I might be wrong.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
While, I have ridden and shot at 38, I believe both 27 and 38 are on DNR land which is touchy feely as far as what they allow shooting wise. I believe there have been tickets handed out for shooting up there, but I might be wrong.
If it is like some DNR parcels here, they have cracked down on target-shooting because so many slobs trash up the place with what gets set up for 'targets;' but the land is still open to hunting.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
If it is like some DNR parcels here, they have cracked down on target-shooting because so many slobs trash up the place with what gets set up for 'targets;' but the land is still open to hunting.
Ahhh, observation is certainly true and I am sure that you are spot on.

Oh, and no, I don't shoot and ride at the same time. :)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Along with the moose antler full face....

This topic comes up every couple of years. Lots of people recommend just getting an oversized orange safety vest at a hardware store, put that over your gear, and you can get flourescent safety tape and wrap that all over your bike, and vents in your helmet.

*edit*Choice: look stupid with no bullet holes or look cool with bullet holes.

Those aren't bullet holes!! Those are "speed holes". ;)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
The gravel pit at 27 (enroute to echo lake) has been home to target practice for quite some time. Usually when I see someone walking with a rifle, that is their destination. I have, however, seen someone riding a bike down the fire road covered in blood (which I assumed was from an animal) with a rifle on their back...

Many-a-time I have been asked by rangers if anyone were firing weapons that I have noticed while riding. My guess is that any firearm use at the exits is less than legal.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
The gravel pit at 27 (enroute to echo lake) has been home to target practice for quite some time. Usually when I see someone walking with a rifle, that is their destination. I have, however, seen someone riding a bike down the fire road covered in blood (which I assumed was from an animal) with a rifle on their back...

Many-a-time I have been asked by rangers if anyone were firing weapons that I have noticed while riding. My guess is that any firearm use at the exits is less than legal.
either from an animal or the guy in front of him was too damn slow!

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
A high powered hunting rifle bullet ,will travel 5 miles and kill you ,the good thing abut the woods is the trees catch them ,I hunt and ride ,and if you live in the PNW and don`t know about hunting you should learn ,you don`t have to hunt but you should have the Knowalge for your own sake wear a orange vest ,legal hunting is closer than you think ,so know the woods and hunting seasons :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: