Quantcast

Hurricane Katrina: The Aftermath

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
In which case the would have said that it was worse than the Holocaust?

N8 said:
Thank god the majority of the one millon plus people who lived where the hurricane hit evacuated well out of the area. I think that alone is why the number of dead will be held to several hunderd casualties. Otherwise the dead toll could drawrf the couple hundred thousand from the tsunami.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
stoney98 said:
my tragedy is still to come. I'm waiting for SF to fall off the continent. That's a cause I'll donate to.

Have you planned out your looting route yet? You should hang a map of the city on your wall and use push pins to locate all the Circuit City's and Best Buys!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jesus christ... the entire area down there is totally completely fvked!!!!

:(:(:(:(

It is getting worse and worse and worse everyday...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
James | Go-Ride said:
By the way, I wasn't trying to just be a jerk or anything. I had the same response when I read that mayor's comment. It isn't a party, DRB, nobody said anything about this being some sort of joyous occasion for anyone. I'm not trying to call you out on that. Just saying, things could have been a hell of a lot worse and it's not very fair to be comparing this to something much more catastrophic and destructive.
<edit> nevermind its a waste of my time to be worrying about what you think

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I Are Baboon said:
How in the world are they ever going to drain that area? It's not like the water can just recede. :(

Probably re-establish the compromised areas of the levee and then use massive pumps. No small task, that.

That place is fvcking ruined.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
DRB said:
<edit> nevermind its a waste of my time to be worrying about what you think

Know what, guys? The dude's city and his home -- the place he has been elected to guide, watch over and protect -- has just been, literally and figuratively, wiped off the map.

I doubt he was giving much thought into a death-toll comparison. The dude's heart is broken. Give him a break.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Comparing a disaster to a disaster is pretty pointless on either side of the fence.
i'm just wondering aloud here if the determination of the people is to actually rebuild New Orleans. Water is way more destructive and tough to deal with than any other element. The mold and disease factor is gonna destroy more of what already appears standing. The base of the city is never going to stop eroding, is it worth it to rebuild?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm waiting for the rescuers to make into some isolated cajun neighboorhood where there are mutilated bodies of looters strung up medieval style at the front entrance...

:dead:

Cajun good 'ol boys are not to be messed with, haven't you ever seen the movie Southern Comfort?

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
N8 said:
I'm waiting for the rescuers to make into some isolated cajun neighboorhood where there are mutilated bodies of looters strung up medieval style at the front entrance...

:dead:

Cajun good 'ol boys are not to be messed with, haven't you ever seen the movie Southern Comfort?
with shrunken heads

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Children's Hospital under siege
AP | Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
You do realise that South Africa is pretty much a desert. :confused:
I guess I mean all the dark skinned black people in army trucks with tattered clothes on.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Changleen said:
Wow, anyone would think it was a recruiting fair for religious interest groups.
Isn't any state below the mason dixon line just a booth in the U.S. christian recruiting fair?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
stevew said:
Hey N8, a question.

How many animal shelters are in the area and were they able to evacuate/relocate the animals elsewhere.

I wonder how the Vet Clinics and kennel/boarding places dealt with it?
Being a puppy mom I always wonder about these things too and just hope someone helped get them to safety, or at the very least set them free so they at least had a chance of surviving instead of being trapped in a kennel.

There is a rescue group that specifically deals with rescue and shelter of animals during diaster situations.

http://www.noahswish.org/index.htm

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stevew said:
Hey N8, a question.

How many animal shelters are in the area and were they able to evacuate/relocate the animals elsewhere.

I wonder how the Vet Clinics and kennel/boarding places dealt with it?

Not sure about that... right now everyone's main concern is getting the people out of there first.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
No worse than Pennsylvania.
Good point....

It's funny driving thru the parts of PA where they have road signs that quote bible verses....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
Good point....

It's funny driving thru the parts of PA where they have road signs that quote bible verses....
It seems to me that parts of Pennsylvania try to be more southern than the south. I'd almost bet there are more rebel flags per capita there than in many southern states.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Velocity Girl said:
Being a puppy mom I always wonder about these things too and just hope someone helped get them to safety, or at the very least set them free so they at least had a chance of surviving instead of being trapped in a kennel.

There is a rescue group that specifically deals with rescue and shelter of animals during diaster situations.

http://www.noahswish.org/index.htm
I know when CO was burning the year before last, I called my boss at a dog show she was attending to see if she had a plan for evacuating the 10-12 dogs she had at home. She didn't.

I'm fvucking sick. :mumble:
I'm on a DH tour of the east coast resorts and had no idea about how bad this is.
I haven't spoke to all my family since last week and i'm now powerless to do anything here in NewJersey(Diablo).
No idea on how my mom is doing or evacuated to?

My buddy who runs Joes bike shop in NO sent mt a text that Tulane ave where the shop is is 17' under water. :eek:

Before i left town we had to evacuate for one of the 1st storms of the season and i had a real bad feeling that this was "THE" year for a direct hit.

Trust me on this:with the high level of poverty in the south the looting is gonna get real bad.

:stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
stevew said:
I know when CO was burning the year before last, I called my boss at a dog show she was attending to see if she had a plan for evacuating the 10-12 dogs she had at home. She didn't.
:( That's so sad. Does scare me a bit though that we crate our pups during the day and they would be trapped if something happened when we weren't home. But I definitely don't trust that they wouldn't hurt themselves if they had the run of the house....we've already got some plaster missing on a corner of a wall from them chasing one another around the house!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
It seems to me that parts of Pennsylvania try to be more southern than the south. I'd almost bet there are more rebel flags per capita there than in many southern states.
Was all the Aligators and snakes supposed to flood into NO when the leve broke?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
LOOnatic said:
I'm fvucking sick. :mumble:
I'm on a DH tour of the east coast resorts and had no idea about how bad this is.
I haven't spoke to all my family since last week and i'm now powerless to do anything here in NewJersey(Diablo).
No idea on how my mom is doing or evacuated to?

My buddy who runs Joes bike shop in NO sent mt a text that Tulane ave where the shop is is 17' under water. :eek:

Before i left town we had to evacuate for one of the 1st storms of the season and i had a real bad feeling that this was "THE" year for a direct hit.

Trust me on this:with the high level of poverty in the south the looting is gonna get real bad.

:stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh:
You realise you are 10min down the road from me.

Want to meet for lunch today?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
Just heard on the radio that the La National Guard has been deployed in New Orleans without weapons... wtf?

:mumble:
Maybe just like with the soldiers in Iraq, these guys are expected to BYOG (bring your own guns).

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
Maybe just like with the soldiers in Iraq, these guys are expected to BYOG (bring your own guns).

Nah... there are more than enough weapons to issue out, just some brain-dead idiot didn't think they were nessessary...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Everytime I turn on the TV or my computer, it keeps getting worse and worse.

I did hear a news story this morning that really made me mad. Looters made their way into a brand new Wal-Mart, and stole all of the guns within 10 minutes. I can understand if someone goes into a store and takes food, water, and clothes for their family, but these knuckleheads are just taking advantage of the situation, and now they have guns!

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
LOOnatic said:
The poverty in NO is like no other I've ever experienced. Think about all those poor folks living out in the bayou without phones, TV -- hell not even any electricity. They probably never knew this thing was coming.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
blt2ride said:
Everytime I turn on the TV or my computer, it keeps getting worse and worse.

I did hear a news story this morning that really made me mad. Looters made their way into a brand new Wal-Mart, and stole all of the guns within 10 minutes. I can understand if someone goes into a store and takes food, water, and clothes for their family, but these knuckleheads are just taking advantage of the situation, and now they have guns!
I also found it ironic on the clip I saw yesterday that there were security guards looting with the rest of 'em!