Quantcast

Hurricane Katrina: The Aftermath

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Looks like it's goning to be a long time for things to get back to normal down south.. :(

Mayor: 80% of New Orleans under water. Both airports under water. 2 block wide levee break pouring water in, water still rising. Some parts under 20 feet of water. I-10 causeway utterly destroyed...

More: http://www.wwltv.com/

As if Nawlins could actually stink any worsethan it used to....!
As Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans on Monday, experts said it could turn one of America's most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city's legendary cemeteries... more

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I was watching it on the news this morning, and it is really a sad situation. I remember when he had the 1994 earthquake in So. Cal., it's terrible when your life is turned upside down. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has had their lives affected by the hurricane.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeah....same thing happend to us in NC when Hurricane Floyd came through in 1999. Completely destroyed Princeville--wiped it off the map. Dead hogs, horses, cows, and coffins floating everywhere. Had to tie the coffins to trees to await re-planting or in many cases re-identification.

Link

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMike said:
I realize I'm an asshole, but is it really appropriate for the mayor to be saying "This is our tsunami"? ....I mean it was terrible and all... but can you really make that comparison?

That's a strech I agree... he should have said, "this is our super mini micro tsunami."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Truly horrible. Mother nature can be a real bitch. Seems that there are a lot of peole who think that such things only happen in other parts of the world. With volcanoes, earthquakes, tornados and hurricanes we live in a dangerous world. Now if you will excuse me I need to build my disaster shelter, start hoarding food and fuel and need to get my tin foil hat refitted.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
stoney98 said:
anyone heard from the cheese?
Last I heard he was headed to a hospital, I guess it was a local shelter. He prolly wont have interweb for a long while.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
News reports from NO say that people are calling radio stations from their attics saying they are trapped in there and the water is rising fast.... :dead:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Not good.

Most of my father in law's family are in New Orleans. Most are accounted for but one of his brother and family hasn't been heard from since Sunday night. The most recent levee breaks are pretty much assured of flooding the majority of their homes and businesses as they lived near them. The church we got married in is flooded.

My best friend has not heard from his parents in Ocean Springs, MS since Monday morning.

I am utterly overwhelmed.

And if it isn't their ****ing tsunami, what the **** is it? a god damn garden party? Why don't you think about that and delete the stupid post.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Link now working: http://www.wwltv.com/

Mayor: 200 trapped on Ninth Ward rooftops; bodies floating in Bywater, Eastover
Monday, August 29, 2005
WWLTV.com

Mayor Ray Nagin said that 200 people were stranded on rooftops in the Lower Ninth Ward and several “bodies are floating in the water” in the Bywater neighborhood and in Eastover.

Nagin made the announcement in his first press briefing after Hurricane Katrina slammed just east of the city, but did plenty of devastation to New Orleans.

Nagin said that the 200 stranded people included 20 police officers who were riding out the storm at their homes in preparation to take over shifts from other officers. He said that boats would be dispatched on rescue missions later in the afternoon.

Mayor Nagin issued a "boil water" recommendation for water in the city - except for Algiers and the CBD due to a water main line break that may have compromised the water.

Nagin said at least 20 buildings in the city had collapsed and that it might be 48 hours before residents would be allowed back to their homes to assess the damage.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:angry:

Looting Begins in New Orleans
By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - With much of the city emptied by Hurricane Katrina, some opportunists took advantage of the situation by looting stores.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" — the radio code for police — and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry stores.

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as National Guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
One of my coworker's grandmother and a few of her cousins were going to ride out the storm. Her grandmother said she had seen worse. They are in NO (the French Quarter) and she hasn't heard from them since Katrina came ashore.

:dead:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
whoa, wait a minute here. what is the philly chick doing there? so shes on vacation last week and sees a cat 5 storm a comin. she doesnt want to cut her vacation short?
stupid

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
DRB said:
Not good.

Most of my father in law's family are in New Orleans. Most are accounted for but one of his brother and family hasn't been heard from since Sunday night. The most recent levee breaks are pretty much assured of flooding the majority of their homes and businesses as they lived near them. The church we got married in is flooded.

My best friend has not heard from his parents in Ocean Springs, MS since Monday morning.

I am utterly overwhelmed.

And if it isn't their ****ing tsunami, what the **** is it? a god damn garden party? Why don't you think about that and delete the stupid post.
Also at the risk of sounding like a nihilist or something, the tsunami killed more than 300,000 people. As far as I can tell, we (yes we, the entire US who is paying attention to this and being worried, not just those who live in or have relatives in the south) are up to less than 200. Not exactly the same situation as it was in Indonesia, not to mention the fact that people here have insurance and familes with money and government aid. Most of the people who lost everything in the tsunami will die with nothing because of it. The guy whose windows blew out of his cafe will get them fixed.

The last line of your post was pretty inconsiderate as well, I don't think you're in much of a position to be calling anybody out on stupid posts in this situation. I'd imagine there are people on the other side of the globe who would be pretty pissed to hear that Americans think they have it as rough as things were in Indonesia last year. We gotta think outside the box before we say things, ya know?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ahhhh.... thank you.

While I don't discount that very bad things happened yesterday, I really don't see the need for anyone to compare their misery with others'. ESPECIALLY when it CAN'T compare.

I would assume that most of the people who lost stuff yesterday (and I'm not referring to fatalities) are insured in some form or other, and will recover at least SOMETHING.

People lost EVERYTHING in the tsunami and have to rebuild from zero.

My point is that there was just no reason for mayor guy to even bring up the tsunami at all.

James | Go-Ride said:
Also at the risk of sounding like a nihilist or something, the tsunami killed more than 300,000 people. As far as I can tell, we (yes we, the entire US who is paying attention to this and being worried, not just those who live in or have relatives in the south) are up to less than 200. Not exactly the same situation as it was in Indonesia, not to mention the fact that people here have insurance and familes with money and government aid. Most of the people who lost everything in the tsunami will die with nothing because of it. The guy whose windows blew out of his cafe will get them fixed.

The last line of your post was pretty inconsiderate as well, I don't think you're in much of a position to be calling anybody out on stupid posts in this situation. I'd imagine there are people on the other side of the globe who would be pretty pissed to hear that Americans think they have it as rough as things were in Indonesia last year. We gotta think outside the box before we say things, ya know?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
By the way, I wasn't trying to just be a jerk or anything. I had the same response when I read that mayor's comment. It isn't a party, DRB, nobody said anything about this being some sort of joyous occasion for anyone. I'm not trying to call you out on that. Just saying, things could have been a hell of a lot worse and it's not very fair to be comparing this to something much more catastrophic and destructive.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
James | Go-Ride said:
By the way, I wasn't trying to just be a jerk or anything. I had the same response when I read that mayor's comment. It isn't a party, DRB, nobody said anything about this being some sort of joyous occasion for anyone. I'm not trying to call you out on that. Just saying, things could have been a hell of a lot worse and it's not very fair to be comparing this to something much more catastrophic and destructive.

Thank god the majority of the one millon plus people who lived where the hurricane hit evacuated well out of the area. I think that alone is why the number of dead will be held to several hunderd casualties. Otherwise the dead toll could drawrf the couple hundred thousand from the tsunami.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stoney98 said:
Operative word. If it was prevented, but people still bitch about the "could's" and "what if's", they are just creating drama.

Pony up rich boi....

Go here to make donations on-line (you can even use your credit card) Also make sure to specify the Hurricane 2005 Relief fund so that monies will go to those who were affected by this tragedy. https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A looter carries a bucket of beer out of a grocery store in New Orleans on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005, as floodwaters continue to rise in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina made landfall on Monday. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)
Well if I'm going to get involved in looting, beer is the first thing I'm going for.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Man i just saw an interview on CNN, this guy told a story to an interviewer of how he lost his wife. He was losing his grip to her as she was getting pulled away she was telling him to take care of the kids. He was crying, the interviewer was crying while asking question, it damn near made me cry when he said he didn't have no where to go.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
James | Go-Ride said:
Hmm. I lived in New Orleans for 5 years and I have many many close friends who live there and had to abandon the city for higher ground. I also evacuated for a hurricane in 1999, so I can appreciate some of the feelings my friends are suffering.

When I saw the pictures of the cars backed up on the highway, it reminded me immediately of my trip out of the city, which it took 4 hours to drive 60 miles (and another 10 to safety).

Comparing this ongoing disaster to the Tsunami might be thoughtless. However, I do not think we should compare death counts like this was some sort of game.

My friends are wondering if their homes and lives are still intact, and they probably are losing hope as I write this. I have already offered to help in the aftermath. They are the lucky ones, but this is not a vacation.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Hey N8, a question.

How many animal shelters are in the area and were they able to evacuate/relocate the animals elsewhere.

I wonder how the Vet Clinics and kennel/boarding places dealt with it?