Quantcast

Hurricane Rita

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Wumpus said:
or maybe, the fact that a couple million people decided to fill up all on the same day(doubt many infrastructure anywhere could handle that kind of load) AND that a bunch of gas stations closed down so the folks could get the hell out of dodge AND that those millions of people are stuck on the highway for many, many hours(12+ hrs for a normal 3 hr trip).
well duh. i've been listening to the houston radio for two days to hear anything i can about the fam in Beaumont (so you can STFU about not knowing anything about the situation, Loco), and I keep hearing about people running out of gas running the AC in their cars and getting stuck on the road now that the outer bands are arriving...

J

JRB

Barbaton said:
well duh. i've been listening to the houston radio for two days to hear anything i can about the fam in Beaumont (so you can STFU about not knowing anything about the situation, Loco), and I keep hearing about people running out of gas running the AC in their cars and getting stuck on the road now that the outer bands are arriving...
My xterra doesn't get 10 mpg asshat. You made a dickhead generalization, and I said you were wrong. Get over it. :mumble:

*edit - I hope your family is in a safe spot. :thumb:

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
splat said:
Back in the 80's when a Huricane came through Boston , a Whole bunch of college students were all wearing trench coats and using them as sails on Skate boards and having races.

so you should just beable to adapt that concept to your bike .

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
loco said:
My xterra doesn't get 10 mpg asshat. You made a dickhead generalization, and I said you were wrong. Get over it. :mumble:

*edit - I hope your family is in a safe spot. :thumb:
listen assface, on an ordinary day your charming internet personality is generally humorous, but it does wear under certain circumstances. :p

and i do think that the fact that almost everyone i know down there has at least one suburban/yukon/trailblazer might make a difference in this situation.

It was also upsetting to hear the story about the dude who went back to the bed of his truck to give his Labradors water and found them dead of carbon monoxide poisoning. Apparently this happened to several people that the radio station heard from. Don't run your engine if the traffic isn't going to move for 19 hours!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Barbaton said:
why wouldnt you just call them, the storm is just now coming ashore.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
The Toninator said:
why wouldnt you just call them, the storm is just now coming ashore.
everyone except K's dad has left town (he's staying at the hospital with patients). So now we're just listening and waiting. I'm not waiting for news about them specifically, but the TX coverage is naturally more in depth than we're getting out here.

Specifically, I want to know what the storm surge height is when it starts to hit port arthur and galveston. They've been predicting up to 20 feet, but anything over 4 might kill the tortoises waiting it out in the garage.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Barbaton said:
everyone except K's dad has left town (he's staying at the hospital with patients). So now we're just listening and waiting. I'm not waiting for news about them specifically, but the TX coverage is naturally more in depth than we're getting out here.

Specifically, I want to know what the storm surge height is when it starts to hit port arthur and galveston. They've been predicting up to 20 feet, but anything over 4 might kill the tortoises waiting it out in the garage.
Oh. Galvestion, as long as the storm stays on it's current path, will not get the 20' surge. Beaumont/Port Arther/Orange (known as the golden triangle) is screwed, sorry.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
The Toninator said:
Oh. Galvestion, as long as the storm stays on it's current path, will not get the 20' surge. Beaumont/Port Arther/Orange (known as the golden triangle) is screwed, sorry.
Yeah. Here's hoping it keeps turning right. Honestly, and it sounds terrible to say it, but about the best place for this to come ashore would be right where Katrina did, since there are no people there and it has to be rebuilt anyway...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Barbaton said:
Yeah. Here's hoping it keeps turning right. Honestly, and it sounds terrible to say it, but about the best place for this to come ashore would be right where Katrina did, since there are no people there and it has to be rebuilt anyway...
true that. all my mom's family is in vinton L.A. just 9 miles for the tex/l.a. boarder. it's on i-10 before lake charles. their going to get ****ed. i dont know that they even evacted becuase the storm wasnt supposed to go there.

but on a lighter note i'm trying a new beer called 'sparks' its a caffinated malt licka. tastes about as bad as red bull but it's got alcohol.