Quantcast

hutchinson barracuda's-awesome tires

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
just though i would spread the word on what my impressions of them are.

the tires went on my dh bike. my set up is fully tubeless, using 823 rims. no sealant. the tires were hutchinson barracuda 2.5 mx casing med rebound rubber.

i already knew the tires were going to be huge, (i am more used to 2.5 maxxis and 2.2 michelins) but they have a really high profile to them too, huge air volume. width wise they aren't too bad. i actually wanted 2.3's but the bike shop didn't have them in stock.

the main reason i wanted these tires was because i heard that they roll very fast, and i have quite a bit of riding to do to get to my local dh track. and i always love trying new tires.

the one tire did come with a slight bend in the bead from packaging, i was worried that would make inflation a bitch. i straightened it out a bit and after a couple of tries it inflated. mind you i was using a mini pump, i really need a floor pump, i also took the valve core out to let more air in. the other tire inflated with no trouble, the beads pooped at 40psi. and the tire was dead straight.

now the big test, out on the trail. first think i noticed was how well it rolled, which i was really happy about, far better then a high roller or a minion. pretty much like a minion/high roller semi slick combo. of course it did have its (slight) drawback, the tire slid under power but just a little. i did come off a comp 16 to be fiar. braking too wasn't as good as the comp 16, which i think is one of the better braking tires. but its not anything less then what you would expect from a minion under braking.

cornering, from the moment i got it, i noticed the big gap between the centre knobs and the single row of side knobs. that was going to give some interesting cornering grip. i took a couple of runs to get used to it, it really likes to be leant over on to the side knobs and then it really digs in. it feels like you are on a knifes edge, a very grippy knifes edge. i had trouble trying to get it to drift like i was used to, but after pushing it even harder and leaning lower, it braked loose. it was offering more grip then my comp 16s and my friends high rollers in the corners.

some ppl complaint about the side knobs folding over, i did try running the tires on lower pressures and it did start going all funny. but at reasonable pressures it worked perfect. i was able to get it dialled pretty good, soft enough to take up the small bumps but hard enough for the corners and not hit the rims.

one thing that acadian said in his review was that he wasn't sure on how well they would work in the wet, well, i can tell you that they work great. shed mud very well. much better then a high roller. i just used them for practice on a dragon dh race last weekend before i put on the spikes. of course you cant compare them to spikes, but as far as dry tires goes, they work damn well in the wet.

only thing is that i found is that the med rebound rubber is a bit slippy on the roots, but that expected. i didn't want to go for the low rebound stuff for it to wear out on the road.

overall i am very happy with the tires. hutchinson did a great job.:thumb:

hope you guys find this helpful.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
How do their sidewall compare to the Michelin / Maxxis UST's? What PSI were you running. How heavy were the 2.5's Hutch's? What bike were these on?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Do they still make you bounce around like a basketball......?........i always felt like Dr. J when i ran thoose.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wierd. I love these tires for super loose dust/duff, but there's no way they roll faster than a minion. Those tall narrow center knobs deform a lot more than the flat topped knobs of a minion. Not a big deal for me where I ride because cornering traction is much more important than straightline coasting.....

You sure you got the barracudas and not the pirahnas? Not sure what it's like getting them in malaysia but I was under the impression that the 2.5s are hard to get anywhere outside of europe.

I've only run them with tubes and did tear the sidewalls a bit. But tubeless with some sealant is something I'm looking forward to trying next year with them.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
jvnixon- i am not sure how much they weight, my guess is that i probably had about 16-17 psi in them but you have to remember that i am only about 130lbs. i run 20-21 psi in 2.5 maxxis tires and i wont go higher, that i know for sure coz i checked with a gauge. the sidewalls are iffer then maxxis for sure, much closer to what michelin are like. they are on a supreme dh.

cant climb-they do feel a bit lively, but i am used to that, tubeless tires tend to give that feel and further more i run my rebound wide open on the front and rear.

kidwoo- i really need to change my location, i am in bristol, england right now. they are barracuda's for sure. and they do roll faster, may not be by much, but when you are light you feel it. maybe it has something to do with minions only coming in super tacky. and as long as you are using tubeless rims, you dont need sealant.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You must have found some smooth bits. I gave up with those exact same tyres after I kept flatting, either tubeless on my 823s or with a tube on my 729s. I also fund them to wear incredibly quickly given their lack of grip on smooth, wet rocks and roots.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
kidwoo- i really need to change my location, i am in bristol, england right now. they are barracuda's for sure. and they do roll faster, may not be by much, but when you are light you feel it. maybe it has something to do with minions only coming in super tacky. and as long as you are using tubeless rims, you dont need sealant.
That's actually a really good point. I know there are people out there that claim you can't tell the difference in rolling resistance between tubed and tubeless, but you definitely can. Good thinking.....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
dhkid I completely support your review. Have Low/Med Barracuda Combo on my bike and I feel the same about them. Great grip in corners and the med(my rear) is slippery on wet wood. Dunno how about rolling as they came stock with new bike so it's hard to compare tires in 2 different bikes. Not much riding on them but i prefer them to my minion/roller combo and to spec evil roller (or sth like that).

FLdragon

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
in the area
Do they mount straight? The older versions (pre-MX casing) were way wobbly once mounted. That and the tendency to flat the moment they hit the dirt was a real a nightmare.

Their best products are their 3/4 length socks and their Flex-fit caps.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
they mount dead straight. no problems at all.

i cant say how well they hold up against flat just yet as i haven't ridden any tracks that are hard on tires in that way. but i'll post back once i do. mind you i think flatting with ust comes down to how much pressure you run, i flatted 5 times on a minion in one days pratice before. running at 19 psi in the rear. the tire just gets cut open, it was in pratice tho, and i was hitting quite a few rocks. same goes for a comp 24 the next day, 3 flats.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was a constant flatter. For now I was also only running with no sealant and no flats so far so they seem to be good (or I have good pressure ;) )

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
an update after riding them back home on hard pack conditions.

i didn't like them as much as my maxxis tires in the dry conditions, there is nothing to dig into in those conditions so the longer side knobs dont work that well.

besides that i get really pissed off each time i have to take them off, the bead is so tight. i got better technique now but its still a bitch. it wasn't so much of a problem in england, but back home in malaysia it was impossible. maybe the rims were just that slightly bigger from the warmer climate. getting them on and popping the bead was still as easy.

i did puncher the rear tire right at the bead once, but this trail has been known for eating tires. i have pinch flatted a pair of comp 24s 5 times in one days practice and a pair of minions 3 times in the next days practice. the hole was right above the bead, and there wasn't a second hole on the thread, which happened to the maxxis and michelin tires. so overall it did pretty alright.

still highly recommend them, just trying to tell the whole story here.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I've just started running the MX casing Low Rebound 2.3s and the grip is insane. They'll wear fast but I picked them up super cheap so I don't mind. The grip on the harder stuff with the 35a compound is quite good but they do roll slightly slower than my 2.1 60a nevegal ust.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i'm running the 2.3s on 823s the grip is brilliant and they roll really well but i'm having trouble with putting holes in them. I've used high rollers tubeless and never had that problem. Is it a common thing with the Barracudas. I haven't been riding extreamly rocky trails.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've been running the piranhas for a few weeks now. i like them. same basic tread, rolls faster, corners well. no issues w/ flats yet. breaking in the loose stuff is not supa-grabby, but you do come to a stop at some point :) i'm running a WTB Prowler in the front and the two seem well mated. i was getting some two-wheel drift last week and it is the first time i've felt control while doing that.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
In the loose the Barracuda's are hard to beat. Really grippy. In riding hardpack however, you really need to press the tires into the corners to get good bite. They seal up tubeless really painlessly too, big +

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In the loose the Barracuda's are hard to beat. Really grippy. In riding hardpack however, you really need to press the tires into the corners to get good bite. They seal up tubeless really painlessly too, big +
You have any problems ripping these things when you run them tubeless?

I tore a couple last year with tubes but ozzer tells me that's less of an issue with a tubeless and sealant setup.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You have any problems ripping these things when you run them tubeless?

I tore a couple last year with tubes but ozzer tells me that's less of an issue with a tubeless and sealant setup.
I ran a set last year and the only flat I had was from a huge nail at Fontana. That was with lots of rocky SB runs. I ran in between 30-35 psi. My latest set is one race old, so not much to report yet. The casing's pretty tough IMO

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I still put mine on from time to time. I still regret it every time as I inevitably flat at some point in the day. MX casing. Sometimes UST on 823s with Stans, sometimes with a tube on 729s. MRC low.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I still put mine on from time to time. I still regret it every time as I inevitably flat at some point in the day. MX casing. Sometimes UST on 823s with Stans, sometimes with a tube on 729s. MRC low.
did you have any issues running them tubeless liking ripping holes in the tire ?

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anything between mid-twenties and high thirties.

I'm afraid I'm pretty convinced it's the fault of the sidewalls here. I also flat the Barracuda on the front, and this is the only tyre I've flatted on the front for something like 4 years. The rear I would sometimes tear chunks out of the carcass of the tyre, sometimes cut the tyre along the bead, and when running a tube I would just pinch flat in the normal way.

I ride pretty hard. I'm pretty heavy (pushing 190 these days) and I ride some pretty rocky trails. Others may have better luck, but I wont be buying them again.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
im running te mx casing 2.35s on 823s with sealant at about 22-25psi. I've put holes in both the front and rear up on the tread on different occasions. They've been too big for the sealant to work. I had a simialr problem with comp 16s in Alp D'huez last summer and ended up just running dh tubes. I just put that down to the super sharp rocks i was riding on. I haven't brought my barracudas near any where thats been very rocky but seem to have been pretty unlucky with them. I've since plugged them and with a bit of sealant are working fine.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Been running exclusively UST tubeless on all bikes and I've had only three flats in the last 3 yrs (all on my rear DH bike). Latest one was at the last Fontucky race.
I bought into the hype of running single-ply tubeless 2.3 Cuda in the rear. Then I thought I saw a ninja line on a rock section and went off course running over all imaginable sharp point rocks. Punctured my rear tire straight thru the top of the thread. I switched to DH casing after that. I solely blame the innernet forums for the single-ply tire idea.

My luck on ghetto tubeless setup (even at installation alone) is hovering around the 30% success rate. Yey for UST.

More and more wheel companies will be coming out with budget UST/tubeless no-eyelet drilling rims wheelsets. FSA, Fulcrum, Shimano, Mavic (leader) etc.. It's here to stay.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How do their sidewall compare to the Michelin / Maxxis UST's? What PSI were you running. How heavy were the 2.5's Hutch's? What bike were these on?
The MAXXIS UST are a little stronger sidewall wise. I flatted the MX casing Barrcudas on numerous trails around here. With DH tubes, XC tubes also and that is with between 20LBS-30LBS of AIR. If it is rocky and high speed staw away. Otherwise they R awesome!
THAT IS MX casings
BTW

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Just mounted Barracuda 2.3's on the Bullit. I'll be converting to ghetta tubeless soon with them. I rode yesterday at Elings park here in SB, hardpacked berms with occasional loose patches. Had the tires in the mid-high 30's. They rolled fast and hooked up nicely. Once again in hardpack riding aggressive and "pressing" the tires into corners generated good results. I can't wait to take the Bullit to some of the really loose conditions in the front country, expecting good things ;)