Quantcast

Hyd. brake hose worth upgrading ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I have standard nylon reinforced hoses on my Hayes disc brakes and have been considering Goodridge, Hope or Alligator SS lines. For those that went w/ these lines was it worth it ? Just looking for a solid consistant lever feel more than anything but don't want to waste $ if the gains are not notiecable. Thanks

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you're talking Mags, HFX or El Camino - put the $ towards new brakes, not worth it.

If you have Stroker's, and you're looking for a little more power and modulation, Goodridge could be a nice upgrade. They are also ridiculously durable.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you're talking Mags, HFX or El Camino - put the $ towards new brakes, not worth it.

If you have Stroker's, and you're looking for a little more power and modulation, Goodridge could be a nice upgrade. They are also ridiculously durable.
Wurd. You'd have to try really hard to hurt them in any way. Belive me, I've tried.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003

Actually they are for a set of Mag's. I tried a few of the latest brake offerings and am satisfied w/ the Mag's, i'd lust like too firm up the lever a little.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Not worth upgrading unless you have issues with kinking them or durability in general. The only thing stainless hoses upgrade is weight(more) and durability. I've had mags with both lines and there is no noticeable difference. If you want to upgrade a new brake is the way to go.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
If you have concerns about getting lines kinked or cut by rock, etc., upgrade the lines. Goodridge and some of the other lines can be re-fitted to most brake systems with new fittings, assuming the lines are long enough. Expensive upgrade, but better safe than sorry for me, after having a line cut at Mammoth. By the way, I didn't see much performance improvement (at least to justify the costs).

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
It may also be worth a try of a set of metal pads if you are not using them already. Organic pads have a slight bit of give so the metal could give that firmer feeling your after.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Hill and many WC racers kicked ass in the WC circuit with Mags, Great reliable brake.
If you like you can a get some aftermarket long levers fore more power and feel.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Hill and many WC racers kicked ass in the WC circuit with Mags, Great reliable brake.
If you like you can a get some aftermarket long levers fore more power and feel.
That's cause they hardly use their brakes. Don't need a good brake if you only tap if lightly a few times in a 4 minute run. They could probably get away with 6in rusty rotors and rubber brake pads.

Karve

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
That's cause they hardly use their brakes. Don't need a good brake if you only tap if lightly a few times in a 4 minute run. They could probably get away with 6in rusty rotors and rubber brake pads.
Yep - Petey ran a 143/160 combo at the worlds!

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I upgraded my new saints to goodridge, and i really thought it was all a gimmick before i did it, but i thought i would give it a try....

And they feel awsome.! Really, they have greatly improved the leaver feel, to what i would say was perfect. They have given it more power (prob not needed) and the have never pumped up

So i think it is a worth upgrade. I have had ago on some Hayes with Goodridge and they felt great too. :-)

P.s Love the mags, so relaiable. mine last 3 years without one service

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I put HEL on my rear Code and it went from a fairly quiet brake to a squealing cat even under mild braking (both using organic pads)...feel at the lever was not that much different either and no noticeable change in power. I've gone back to original Avid hose.

I think I once read a post somewhere here on RM that Avids are not really recommended for after market reinforced hoses..??? I would definitely agree with that.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
just a quick question to those who have upgraded...

is it really the line that improved the feel of the brake, or was it the fact that you did an entire and thorough system bleed (after installing lines) and THAT is what made your brakes feel better?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
just a quick question to those who have upgraded...

is it really the line that improved the feel of the brake, or was it the fact that you did an entire and thorough system bleed (after installing lines) and THAT is what made your brakes feel better?
Well unless I've bled 2 breakes bad and one of them being gustavs that are easier to bleed than taking a dump than no. It is due to the hoses not expanding under pressure. Very nice feel change.
Any brakes without crappy parts that don't fail like some older hayes models may be nice with good hose,brake fluid and pad combo.