Quantcast

Hyd Disc brake question

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think while my front wheel was off the front brake lever was grabbed and the pads now grab pretty tightly 100% of the time. What is the best way to back them out?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Take the wheel off, pull out the pads and use a box end wrench, 9 or 10mm to push both pistons back in all the way.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stosh said:
I think while my front wheel was off the front brake lever was grabbed and the pads now grab pretty tightly 100% of the time. What is the best way to back them out?
If you can mount the wheel (put the disk between the pads they should slef correct right?

Sounds like your caliper isn't retracting at all. That sounds more problematic than just pushing them out again. :think: I hope that pushing them out is the easy correct fix. Good luck.

Rhino

V

Vermont

i have a plastic thing that Hayes sent with my brakes...when this happens i work it into the pads...pushes the caliper apart...you can buy one for $2 from any on line store that carries hayes small parts...cambriabike has em i think...easier than takin out pads and all that....plus your not risking damage to calipers and pistons...whatever

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Vermont said:
i have a plastic thing that Hayes sent with my brakes...when this happens i work it into the pads...pushes the caliper apart...you can buy one for $2 from any on line store that carries hayes small parts...cambriabike has em i think...easier than takin out pads and all that....plus your not risking damage to calipers and pistons...whatever
great advice thanks!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
is this it...????????????

I looked thru the site but couldn't find much.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, that's a service kit. This is literally a small hunk of plastic, probably the width of 4 credit cards, that slides in between the brake pads when you take the wheel off. Your LBS probably carries them.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I've always just used a flathead screwdriver to pry the pads apart. The brake pads are sturdy enough that you really don't have to worry about them unless you go after them like a B-movie hatchet murderer. ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
No, that's a service kit. This is literally a small hunk of plastic, probably the width of 4 credit cards, that slides in between the brake pads when you take the wheel off. Your LBS probably carries them.
Ok cool thanks man!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Morryjg said:
I've always just used a flathead screwdriver to pry the pads apart. The brake pads are sturdy enough that you really don't have to worry about them unless you go after them like a B-movie hatchet murderer. ;)

Thats probably what I"m going to do actually.

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
Morryjg said:
i seem to recall reading someplace that you need to be very carefull if you do it this way. some calipers have a ceramic coating on them that can be damaged with the screwdriver? i'm not too sure but thought i'd mention it just in case.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
The screwdriver will likely damage your pads. Take the pads out and push the pistons back atleast flush with the caliper housing. Use the box wrench- it may take some careful effort

Sep 10, 2001
New Zealand
I had a scary experience a few years back.

Basically one of my hayes pistons was chipped in two opposite places from pushing it back with a spanner (wrench for you americans). During a pre-ride check I squeezed the lever and the piston split in two.

Since then I leave the pads in place and push them apart with a screwdriver. I don't care about damaging the pads, they still work fine with the occasional bruise mark. Splitting pistons I'm not so happy about.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Wow guys thanks for the great info!

I did this last night with a screwdriver and I got them backed out somewhat. I still have some drag though. I'll take it for a good ride this weekend then do it again.

V

Vermont

i seriously advise against pushing directly on the pads with a screwdriver...the amount of heat created when braking makes them crumbly...if you dont have a plastic somethin or other to push in there...take the pads out and push the calipers back with a wrench...it takes 2 secs to take out pads and put em back in...unless you have spare pads layin around it could ruin your day to break up the braking surface of the pad and render it useless.

J

JRB

Plastic putty knives can work too.

Stosh - you may need to reset the caliper if it is simply drag. Hayes are bad about needing adjustment occassionally.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco-gringo said:
Plastic putty knives can work too.

Stosh - you may need to reset the caliper if it is simply drag. Hayes are bad about needing adjustment occassionally.
How do I do that? I R STOOPID.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
One thing a lot of people don't realize is that with some hubs, the orientation of the axle in the dropouts can affect the centering of the caliper on the disc. Every Shimano hub I have had are like that. I think it's an issue with loose bearing cone type hubs. The locknuts are not perfectly square with the axle. So when you center the disc and caliper, then rotate the axle like when you remove the wheel and put it back on, the rotor is no longer centred. What I do is make a mark in the locknut so that I keep the axle in the same spot when I put the wheels back on.

I think that's why people believe Hayes brakes need frequent adjusting. Mine did when I had Rolf wheels and later XT hub wheels. But when I built up wheels with DT Swiss Hugi 240 disc hubs, the Hayes brakes were always spot on.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oldfart said:
One thing a lot of people don't realize is that with some hubs, the orientation of the axle in the dropouts can affect the centering of the caliper on the disc. Every Shimano hub I have had are like that. I think it's an issue with loose bearing cone type hubs. The locknuts are not perfectly square with the axle. So when you center the disc and caliper, then rotate the axle like when you remove the wheel and put it back on, the rotor is no longer centred. What I do is make a mark in the locknut so that I keep the axle in the same spot when I put the wheels back on.

I think that's why people believe Hayes brakes need frequent adjusting. Mine did when I had Rolf wheels and later XT hub wheels. But when I built up wheels with DT Swiss Hugi 240 disc hubs, the Hayes brakes were always spot on.
Funny you should mention that.....Tuesday I got ready for a ride and thru my front wheel on......almost locked up. *scratching head* Undid the skewer and made shure it was in the drops....still locked. *monkey scratching his head*

Took wheel off put it back on...still almost bending the disk to get in the caliper....:confused: :monkey:

They are Shimano mechincal disks....so I adjsuted the statick pad and recentered teh whole thing. In the 2 years I have had teh bike and taken that wheel off I have never had trouble....but this blew my mind. :D Maybe that cheap loose bearing hubs are the culprit and I jsut didnt spint he axle enough? hahaha