Quantcast

Hydration pack question

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I currenty run with a camelbak mule but I'm dissatisfied with a few aspects of it.

My main complaint is that it does not fit snugly against my back when the bladder is full. The back panel (that rides against your back) looks nice and comfy when the pack is empty but when you fill up the water bladder the whole bag turns into a rounded tube and it no longer sits flat against my back.

A different design would probably fit the bill. Maybe something with a rigid board in it to keep everything from turning round when it's filled.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know what you're saying...but Ive never found that to affect the comfort of the pack...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mine does the same thing, especially when the other compartments are packed with stuff, but it doesn't affect the use/feel of the pack.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I just bought a new Mule and don't like the lack of interior space after you fill it with water. I have a 100 oz. capacity Hydrapak which I like for the space, but bought a Mule because of the air channels to let may back breath.

I dunno about running a rigid board...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
I just bought a new Mule and don't like the lack of interior space after you fill it with water. I have a 100 oz. capacity Hydrapak which I like for the space, but bought a Mule because of the air channels to let may back breath.

I dunno about running a rigid board...
Yea... the tall compartment that runs along the bladder compartment is really only good for flat stuff - first aid kits, chains, maps, etc. The main "front" compartment is where my tools/tube/camera goes. With my camera, I've got no extra space in the pack.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Maybe I just need to cinch it down tighter with the chest and waist straps. Tightening things up a bit would probably press the it flat against my back. My wife always fiddles with it and she doesn't use any of the compression straps so its usually poorly adjusted for me.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I agree that the Mule is a good pack. The key is to adjust all of those straps just right so you can breathe, but also so the pack doesn't jiggle around. In terms of space, I had a Lobo and upgraded to the Mule this season. The Mule has more space and I find myself using the bungie on the outside to hold a windbreaker etc. I suppose a Blowfish would also work, but they seem really large for just everyday riding.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Wow, im so glad other people have the same issue with camelback, all in all i love them, but when you run the smaller ones, like the mule and smaller they do get rather cylindrical and feel horrible on your back. I agree with the comment above about riding for a few minutes and drinking a bit, but it isnt a great feeling at first.

It seems to me that the answer to this probem is to ride a larger pack such as the HAWG. I know they are big packs but they are only big if you fill them with alot of crap. I love riding with the HAWG, because it has a flat back to it, I still keep the same amount of gear, i just have more space now. With the new back pannel system on the camelbaks getting hot because of the contact patch isnt so much of an issue.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
bluebug32 said:
I suppose a Blowfish would also work, but they seem really large for just everyday riding.
They really arent, and you can synch everything down in them so you dont hear a sound...i use mine for xc racing...

cyclopath

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
Texas
The Camelback Rocket is a great pack for shorter rides. It says 70oz but 50oz is the best I've able to do. It has a plastic type frame that fits your upper back and stays real stable.

Not for bigger riders tho!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone else had crappy experiences with Camelbak bladders? Both of mine (a 70 oz and a 100 oz) started to leak near where the hose connects to the bladder.

I've got a Dakine coming tomorrow...we'll see how that goes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've used a blowfish for years. i don't seem to notice that problem with them. And even if i'm just not noticing it, i suppose even an uncomfortable pack increases in comfort exponentially if you crash on it when it's full.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've had the same issue with my Mule, which is a few years old, but I never found it to be too much of a problem besides it feeling odd when I first strap it in. I also have a Hawg and it definitely feels much better on the back, but I think it's too big for most rides.

I actually dislike riding with a pack any time. 95% of the time I ride on local trails (no driving) that circle my town, so I just go out with a bottle and that's it. No tools, no tubes.

~mud~

Chimp
May 6, 2006
upstate NY
mr_dove said:
but when you fill up the water bladder the whole bag turns into a rounded tube and it no longer sits flat against my back.
A symptom of most C'baks. I've relegated the MULE to short jaunts and find the Dueter to be a much better option for most rides needing storage space.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I have two Mules, one for riding and one for hiking/trail building. They've made some great improvements over the years. The newer ones have height adjustable sternum straps that slide on a little rail.

What I do in the summer to keep the pack flat against my back is fill it half way with water the night before, lay it flat in the freezer and blow air into the bladder. I think shut the bite valve off and let it freeze over night. I run some warm water over the main opening to loosen the top and then pour cold water on the ice. The water stays cold, and the ice acts as a rigid form against your back. If you fill it up all the way, though, it does ouff out and eat up some storage space.

D