Quantcast

Hydration Packs...hydrapak, MULE, Deuter?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
^^ It made my lower back sore. When I took the waist belt off, problem solved but now it hits me in the back of the head when I hop logs. I thought the whole idea of the waist belt was to distribute weight and increase stability.

rudywa

Chimp
Jun 26, 2011
Osprey Raptor! Really nice back panel ventilation. Bladder is really nice. All around best pack
And Ive had 'em all

abseven

Chimp
Jun 10, 2013
Bump to this thread. I have had 2 CamelBak MULEs over the years and while I love them, they bounce horribly if I do any logs, jumps etc. I have tried all sorts of strap configurations. Anyone come up with a good solution to this problem?
(The newer lumbar wing style bladder might work, but I'd rather not buy an entirely new pack since my current MULE is in good shape.)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Buy something wider, as soon as you fill the bladder they start to bulge and bounce like crazy, I hate my MULE, straps always come loose, material perished and they feel like crap on the back, Deuter FTW(except the bladders, they are rubbish)!

Has anyone else noticed that the Camelbak bite valves have gone to ****? I bought a couple and they only lasted a couple of months before leaking, my old ones lasted years.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Has anyone else noticed that the Camelbak bite valves have gone to ****? I bought a couple and they only lasted a couple of months before leaking, my old ones lasted years.

The bite valves have been giving me difficulty, but they're still the best functionally for drinking. Do not understand all this whining about Mule's though. I'm on the 2nd generation one and have had for a long time with zero issues. Had the first generation and it was equally good.

Waist strap has always kept the helmet from smacking my head and on packs that small they should not be considered "load bearing". If you're loading a Mule to the point you feel like you need to distribute the load around your waist, you have an ABSURD amount of luggage.

I leave mine unbuckled on extended climbs, snap it on "loosely" for descents.

Note: Mule's and most all others have an adjustment to the height of the sternum strap. If you are having issues with the pack riding high and hitting your helmet, you should buy pack that has this feature. Slide the sternum strap down low on the shoulder straps, not high.

I have a Camelbak MULE, military style, pretty ancient, good for riding with minimum kit; it has been quite durable. Also have their Cloudwalker, which I use for more extended rides. I'm not convinced that extensive analysis is too helpful. Buy one big enough to carry what you want. If it doesn't fit the bill, get something else.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The bite valves have been giving me difficulty, but they're still the best functionally for drinking. Do not understand all this whining about Mule's though. I'm on the 2nd generation one and have had for a long time with zero issues. Had the first generation and it was equally good.
My main b1tch with mine is that the storage area is kind of useless compared to similarly sized packs from other mfg'rs. Specifically the Deuter - same size pack, WAY more useful space.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you search this has been asked numerous times.

Many companies have made as good or better hydration packs than Camelbak for well over a decade. Nalgene makes the best overall bladders (CXC series) and various companies use their technology. The only forward thinking Camelbak has done in recent years is the LR series lumbar system. I've been using the Volt LR pack and really like the better weight distribution due to the bladder. The pack itself doesn't feel like it will last though because its ultra thin/lightweight...

Last edited: