Quantcast

Hydration supplements?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I sweat a lot when I ride, so I've been wondering lately if I should be intaking more than just water while out riding. Especially when it's really hot and humid.

Does anyone take anything or have a recommendation?

I have tried Nuun and Biosteel. Not sure if they actually make a difference or not, don't know how I'd measure that.

But anyways, Nuun tastes like crap. Like it's too salty or something - which I'm guessing is a good thing. But it makes me feel like vomiting.

Biosteel tastes like kids juice. Can something that tastes like that be good?

Both these I just had at home already, not really sure how I obtained them.

Before any ride, I always try to drink at least one water bottle worths of water. And have been making more of an effort to drink more water throughout the day. One thing that I sometimes suffer from is hitting a wall mid ride and I get the occasional headache after riding.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The sodium content of poutine and tim horton's breffast sammiches should pretty much keep you in the clear no?

That stuff is really only helpful on hours upon hours upon hours type rides. If you're doing that then never underestimate the value of some salty snacks or even gatorade powder in yo drinkins

There's an entire market of ironman dork fuel out there but that doesn't necessarily mean you need it. If you're not cramping and drooling, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I really like the Vitalyte I get at REI. One big reason is because it's not overly sweet. I swear the hammer and others have sweeteners in them, even beyond a bit of sugar for energy. I drink a glass or two before heading out. I don't have to carry as much water and I can simply go further easier. Sometimes I'll bring some in a bottle, or hydration pack, but that's usually only for a race. Before a big ride or race, I'll drink down like 32-100oz of electrolyte mix. You can seriously drink a ton of that stuff when you have some electrolytes to help. Drinking plain water like that is painful, if not dangerous.

Usually good bike shops will have some selection of some real electrolyte and energy mixes. Unfortunately, it's fairly rare to run across this outside of them IME, I've tried a few. REI is an exception that I can usually find a very good selection of this kind of stuff at.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I sweat a lot when I ride, so I've been wondering lately if I should be intaking more than just water while out riding. Especially when it's really hot and humid.

I have tried Nuun and Biosteel. Not sure if they actually make a difference or not, don't know how I'd measure that.

But anyways, Nuun tastes like crap. Like it's too salty or something - which I'm guessing is a good thing. But it makes me feel like vomiting.

Before any ride, I always try to drink at least one water bottle worths of water. And have been making more of an effort to drink more water throughout the day. One thing that I sometimes suffer from is hitting a wall mid ride and I get the occasional headache after riding.
Nuun is fizzy gimmick crap IME. I don't want carbonation, I want freaking electrolytes. Just get salt tabs if you want salt tabs, those can work too...but it's a lot easier and more pleasurable to drink electrolyte mix IMO.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The sodium content of poutine and tim horton's breffast sammiches should pretty much keep you in the clear no?

That stuff is really only helpful on hours upon hours upon hours type rides. If you're doing that then never underestimate the value of some salty snacks or even gatorade powder in yo drinkins

There's an entire market of ironman dork fuel out there but that doesn't necessarily mean you need it. If you're not cramping and drooling, don't worry about it.
Tim Hortons poutine :disgust1::disgust1::fie::fie:

It's my own problem, but I find it hard to eat during rides. But I have no problem drinking, so was thinking I could just intake whatever is needed that way?

I have some tests pending with a doctor, but I also take Azetazolamide, which is a diuretic. So that might not help with staying hydrated? But looking into that currently.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Azetazolamide, which is a diuretic. So that might not help with staying hydrated? But looking into that currently.
yeah don't do that

just be clear it's timmy's breffast sammiches AND poutine, not necessarily from timmy's and preferably not

#science

I think most normal people have a hard time eating while riding. That's why clif invented overpriced gummy bears.

Acadian used to carry around these little chalky electrolyte tablets.....I wish I could remember what they were. Not gross or unpalatable when you're stinky and dehydrated...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yeah don't do that

I think most normal people have a hard time eating while riding. That's why clif invented overpriced gummy bears.
Have to, as part of the management plan to keep the cerebral fluid pressure in my dome piece down. Or else I'll go blind.

Can't wait until it's not necessary anymore....it makes beer taste like crap.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you just want electrolytes look at Hammer Endurolytes.

If you want an expensive energy drink mix with some added look at Carborocket half evil.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I couldn't stomach the carborocket, it was horrible for me to drink.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been drinking Liquid IV for a while now, seems to make a significant difference in the wateryness of my water.

Have you tried condensed water? More water per liter of normal water.

I've tried the powdered water but I prefer the free range organic inorganic stuff.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Isotonic perfection:

You're obviously not taking that along on your ride. When I don't stick to plain water, I have found that a high quality apple juice mixed with two parts water works amazingly well to keep the cramps away.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

How long of rides do you go on? Not really concerned about miles, but hours out? In my own personal experience under 2 hours I just drink a lot of water and pop a could salt tabs when I get home.

Over 2 hours out (which doesn’t happen much anymore :twitch: ) I use either Hammer stuff or Scratch Labs. Both don’t taste that bad.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
If I put anything in my water I get stomach cramps and leg cramps. Food is what works for me for long rides.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Isotonic perfection:

You're obviously not taking that along on your ride. When I don't stick to plain water, I have found that a high quality apple juice mixed with two parts water works amazingly well to keep the cramps away.
Woah, au contraire mon frère!

Though I guess alcoholic versions aren't so great mid ride.

Even if its snowing. I'm behind the camera in this shot, but yes bad decisions were made this day. :rofl:

How long of rides do you go on? Not really concerned about miles, but hours out? In my own personal experience under 2 hours I just drink a lot of water and pop a could salt tabs when I get home.

Over 2 hours out (which doesn’t happen much anymore :twitch: ) I use either Hammer stuff or Scratch Labs. Both don’t taste that bad.
I think my rides generally range from an hour long if its after work and on the weekends they're usually 2-3 hours.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@canadmos I've tried a lot and I mean a LOT of drink mixes over the years. My go to these days is Skratch Labs for when I need it. I'm partial to the strawberry lemonade flavor.
I guess I just need to try some out. I'm not looking for anything magical, just to replace whatever I'm losing through my sweat.

I sweat enough that I can squeeze my helmet mid ride and it just pours out. :twitch:

Plus if it has an enjoyable taste, maybe I'll drink more. I sometimes catch myself at the end of ride feeling parched, but yet I'll have a half full or more water bottle. You idiot!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I guess I just need to try some out. I'm not looking for anything magical, just to replace whatever I'm losing through my sweat.

I sweat enough that I can squeeze my helmet mid ride and it just pours out. :twitch:

Plus if it has an enjoyable taste, maybe I'll drink more. I sometimes catch myself at the end of ride feeling parched, but yet I'll have a half full or more water bottle. You idiot!
i sweat a ton too. i don't squeeze my helmet out, but i do carry a bandana in my pocket for when sweat starts dripping down my face. especially during the summer when its 90°F+ (~32°C).

skratch is also one of the better tasting mixes i've tried, more mild than most. they have 20% off sales periodically and that's when i'll get it.

Woah, au contraire mon frère!

Though I guess alcoholic versions aren't so great mid ride.

Even if its snowing. I'm behind the camera in this shot, but yes bad decisions were made this day. :rofl:

I think my rides generally range from an hour long if its after work and on the weekends they're usually 2-3 hours.
In one four to five hour ride I'll typically consume a 20 oz bottle of water. I consume water, fruit juice, kombucha, whatever on returning.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
For just electrolyte supplements with no calories, I use SaltStick electrolyte caps. For long hot road rides and races, I'll pop one of those every half hour. For actual fueling, I use a custom blend from Infinit Nutrition that gives me 330 calories of mostly carbs with electrolytes per bottle, and I use one bottle per hour. I carry of bottle of this in my pack when I spend a day at Kingdom Trails too.

This combination works well for me, not that I know anything about endurance training.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Regular Gatorade powder has a bunch of sugar in it.
Yes. Gatorade Endurance though is good stuff but expensive. This is not the usual Gatorade stuff you get in bottles at the store. It comes in powder for like $30 a tub. Gatorade Endurance is the on-course fuel at the Boston Marathon, which is great because I don't have to carry any fuel for that race.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Electrolytes are bullshit. Read Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports, by Tim Noakes.
No, THAT is bullshit. It's like .000001% of mtbers that are "overhydrated" by drinking too much water...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was doing a lot of really long really hard rides in hot temps I was getting cramps and headaches. The solution wasn't really so much sports drinks with electrolytes but to just intake more during my regular diet. Plenty of milk for calcium, potatoes and bananas for potassium and a little more table salt.

I would do drinks or whatever for hot rides over 3+ hours but that was for the calories as much as anything.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I use nuun and skratch labs. Nuun for when I'm lazy and doing a medium length ride or it's hot. Skratch for when I'm doing something real, as I can control the dose a bit better and am skeptical of a single tab fixes everything sort of thing. I have a bunch of those saltstick tabs from when I was fasting. Haven't tried them on the bike but I also don't typically do 7 hour rides.

My understanding was that if you can taste the salt in your drink, then it's likely you don't need additional electrolytes. If it tastes sweet, then you need them. Everybody sweats different, some people drop a ton of salt, some people just lose water, some people don't sweat much at all. I seem to sweat a lot of salt.