Quantcast

Hydration supplements?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How long of rides do you go on? Not really concerned about miles, but hours out? In my own personal experience under 2 hours I just drink a lot of water and pop a could salt tabs when I get home.

Over 2 hours out (which doesn’t happen much anymore :twitch: ) I use either Hammer stuff or Scratch Labs. Both don’t taste that bad.
This is pretty much my regimen. I sweat like a whore in church, so staying hydrated is an issue pretty much all the time when temps are even kind of warm. Less than 2 hours, it's just water and whatever salty junk food I can find in the pantry. Long rides I like both hammer and scratch, usually I just buy whichever is cheaper at the LBS, but I usually mix it at less than half of what is recommended on the package. Like @Sandwich says, everyone sweats different and everyone metabolizes differently. It took me a while to find something that wouldn't wreck my stomach or leave me feeling wonky afterwards.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Used to be team Endurox, now I just use (cheaper) powdered Gatorade in bike bottle -- and refill every hour or two from the bladder.

Saw this even cheaper DIY recipe on TGR Sprocket Rocket's power drink thread but haven't tried it yet -- I was more of a Hawaiian Punch guy than Koo Aid ;)

600g sugar, 1 packet of Kool Aid, 10g salt-- 80g of that per big bottle.

Too I don't care about the sugar, and poking around G2 ingredients substitutes sucralose which recent research suggests is no beuno:

• The study found that sucralose may lead to a leaky gut lining, and increase the activity of genes related to inflammation and cancer.

Measurements of transepithelial electrical resistance (TEER) and permeability in human transverse colon epithelium indicated that sucralose-6-acetate and sucralose both impaired intestinal barrier integrity. Sucralose-6-acetate also inhibited two members of the cytochrome P450 family (CYP1A2 and CYP2C19). Overall, the toxicological and pharmacokinetic findings for sucralose-6-acetate raise significant health concerns regarding the safety and regulatory status of sucralose itself.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I feel somewhat proud that I used to ride 3-5 times a week, 4-6 hour rides when time allowed, and I've never bought any of this hokey shit.

It's like the BB standard you don't need but someone thinks they can convince you that you in fact, do, because you'll pay for it.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I don't know your dose but you are taking a fairly decent diuretic. Shedding lytes via urine (as well as being a sweaty beast)

Bananas slathered in peanut butter. Or what have you. Potassiumsodiummagnesium. Do eeeeet.

Get some of your favorite fruit juice. Mix one part of that with 2 parts water. Add salt to taste. Be sure to very well clean your bottles and water bladders after use.

Obviously this is off the cuff armchair b******* so you should probably talk to your doctor though.

Aside: thinly sliced banana, chunky peanut butter, crisp bacon on your toasted bread of choice.

Fuckin' delicious.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Pickle juice. Preferably from Warsaw Falcon Polish dill spears. I also carry a few spears for emergencies. Just wrap a few in Waxed paper and shove them in your pack. The great thing is that even if you forget them in your pack for a few days, they are usually fine. When you stop or catch up with your riding partners. You can share a glorious pickle burp with them too. Never carry a jar with you, for some reason the glass that the jars are made of is very fragile. Tools in your pack will break the jar. Slicing your hand open on shard of glass during a ride to retrieve a pickle is not favorable.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Used to be team Endurox, now I just use (cheaper) powdered Gatorade in bike bottle -- and refill every hour or two from the bladder.

Saw this even cheaper DIY recipe on TGR Sprocket Rocket's power drink thread but haven't tried it yet -- I was more of a Hawaiian Punch guy than Koo Aid ;)

600g sugar, 1 packet of Kool Aid, 10g salt-- 80g of that per big bottle.

Too I don't care about the sugar, and poking around G2 ingredients substitutes sucralose which recent research suggests is no beuno:

• The study found that sucralose may lead to a leaky gut lining, and increase the activity of genes related to inflammation and cancer.

Measurements of transepithelial electrical resistance (TEER) and permeability in human transverse colon epithelium indicated that sucralose-6-acetate and sucralose both impaired intestinal barrier integrity. Sucralose-6-acetate also inhibited two members of the cytochrome P450 family (CYP1A2 and CYP2C19). Overall, the toxicological and pharmacokinetic findings for sucralose-6-acetate raise significant health concerns regarding the safety and regulatory status of sucralose itself.
That's because gatorade is to electrolyte mix what a Chrysler 200 is to F1 racing.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Are substitutions allowed, I can get Grillos Pickles bulk at Costco...
IMG_20230615_195558488_copy_2000x1125.jpg

But if I carry them in my perforated banana carrier they'll leak.

Maybe I should put my banana carrier in a sock and then I can squeeze the juice out too

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just wait till you try pickle juice straight. Please report back.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DripDrop is pretty reasonable in taste and effect. I have to admit that there's value in that kind of thing when you're riding for hours, even though I'm more of just a water guy.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Wait when the fuck did we get the homer????

I only ever drink water on rides. Sometimes I empty the whole 3 liters. Even if I’m out for three hours in hot temps. I eat granola bars and dried fruit. If I’m out around lunch I’ll pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich and/or s banana. Sometimes I eat them before. Nothing rejuvenates me like a pb and honey.

I used to get so much sweat in my helmet liner I would touch it and get sweat down my face into my eyes. Now I use a bandanna on my bald head, it gets wet and keeps my head cool. Wish I just had hair though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just wait till you try pickle juice straight. Please report back.
Grillos pickle juice? Or just any? Mt Olive dill slices the plain version not bread and butter has the best Pickle juice. The perfect hamburger pickle. After you eat the pickles. You can either marinate pork for schnitzel or drink it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I used to get so much sweat in my helmet liner I would touch it and get sweat down my face into my eyes. Now I use a bandanna on my bald head, it gets wet and keeps my head cool. Wish I just had hair though.
You sound like an ideal candidate for a modern toupee!

1686893975048.jpeg

Wait when the fuck did we get the homer????

I only ever drink water on rides. Sometimes I empty the whole 3 liters. Even if I’m out for three hours in hot temps. I eat granola bars and dried fruit. If I’m out around lunch I’ll pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich and/or s banana. Sometimes I eat them before. Nothing rejuvenates me like a pb and honey.

A bandanna, a skull cap, or a Buff...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Found some Scratch labs at a local place on sale, so ordered two of the 20 scoop packets. Got one of them with caffeine :panic:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Has anyone ever drank Church Whore sweat before a ride? Think of the marketing potential? Thats a racing Honda and a Porsche level idea right there...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I personally do don't well with sugar and flavors in my water. That being said, I have used Elete for years and really like it for riding in the really hot weather. They do make a flavored version now too but I haven't tried that one.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Water and/or added electrolytes. During rides it's only carb based fuels like Shot Bloks, which don't require alot of effort to digest and also are easy to ingest. Must stoke the metabolism w/ cardio and carbs + good hydrating. Leave proteins for post-ride recovery since breaking down protein requires more effort than maintaining carbs and glucose during rides.