Quantcast

Hydraulic brake lines

R

RideMonkey

Are they difficult to work on?

My friends Hayes brakes have the problem of the hydraulic fluid expanding when it gets hot. The result is that the distance which you need to pull the lever to engage the brake is reduced dramatically (this is not good).

What are your thoughts on hydraulics? Worth it?

Hydro discs are totally worth it!!!!!
The only downside is what you already know.I have the same problem on my GT Lobo d/h bike.I have the old Hope closed system brakes and the rear especially gets over heated on some of the longer courses.You can't do a thing about it though because the brakes are a closed system.Most newer brakes are an open system where the fluid is given room to expand and not alter the biteing point of the lever.
Servicing is OK on the Hopes.Just be sure to bleed all the air from the system or you'll be left with no brakes.

Just wish I had discs on my x/c bike too!!!!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Hydraulic brakes like Hayes are dead simple to work on. Hayes are an open system and get minimal pump up. How does your buddies Hayes pump up? Maybe there is some thing wrong with them. I thought Hayes hydraulics were all open systems.

Anyway, brake pads last easily 10 times longer than rim brakes. I go through a set every 6 months to a year and rotors get worn at about 2 years. I bleed them every 6 months or so and that's it . Mine are in their 3d year and I have not rebuilt them yet and they don't seem to need it.

They need to work on the lever though. Not even close to enough reach adjustment. They seem to be built for big monkey hands. I had to go with Razor Rock Racing replacement levers to get the reach I want. But those levers don't have enough of a hok at the tip for my tastes. Plus what's up with the lame shallow bolt heads on the lever clamp?

Cables seem very tough so far. I punctured one on a ride but I don't know how as the hole was under the top tube run of cable. It was a slow leak and I made it home fine. Cables are not cheap at about $80 Canadian for a rear hunk and compression sleeves.

For power enough to use one finger, and good modulation and minimal maintenance you can't beat a good hydraulic disc.

WebCyclery

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Beautiful Bend, OR
Disc brakes are pretty simple to work on once you understand how it all works. We've been building a lot of bikes with disc in the last few months and they are all pretty easy. I'm not quite sure if I'm going to go with the XT or the Louise on my new bike. We'll see.

Slightly ot but does anybody have any thoughts on cable discs,the Deore and Avid in particular????
Was maybe thinking of getting a front setup for my x/c bike.Another set of Hope's are just too much £ at the moment:(