Quantcast

Hydraulic line thruough stem?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought I saw this question a while back but can't find it.

Is there a starnut/threadless system that a hydraulic line will work with? I'm emotionally attached to my front brake but am having issues with barspins because of it.

Thanks

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you can use the hollow type stem bolt and bigger star nut, i was using that setup on my p-1. it was with mechanical disc but it should work fine with hydro as well.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
biggins said:
you can use the hollow type stem bolt and bigger star nut, i was using that setup on my p-1. it was with mechanical disc but it should work fine with hydro as well.
So you had solid cable housing all the way to the caliper?

I wasn't sure if there was a split in there somewhere.

Thanks

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
kidwoo said:
So you had solid cable housing all the way to the caliper?

I wasn't sure if there was a split in there somewhere.

Thanks
mine was a continuous line. from lever to caliper. i might still have it laying around the house actually. i just got the stuff for free from my lbs. i'll check to see if i have it at home tonight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
biggins said:
mine was a continuous line. from lever to caliper. i might still have it laying around the house actually. i just got the stuff for free from my lbs. i'll check to see if i have it at home tonight.
I'll buy your setup if you want to sell it. It's just a hollowed out bolt that goes on the top cap with a different starnut right? Either way, I'll buy it if you don't want it.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
there is a star nut and top cap/bolt combo that lets you run a line like this. It's from BMX bike technology. So you don't have to cut up a headlock or anything strange. I have one that lets a hydro line pass just fine. My only suggestion would be to put a layer of electrical tape on the points that the line touches stuff so that is doesn't rub through.
kai-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
HippieKai said:
there is a star nut and top cap/bolt combo that lets you run a line like this. It's from BMX bike technology. So you don't have to cut up a headlock or anything strange. I have one that lets a hydro line pass just fine. My only suggestion would be to put a layer of electrical tape on the points that the line touches stuff so that is doesn't rub through.
kai-
yup thats what i was using.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I run My Hydro brake this way, Its easy, go to your LBS and pick up a bmx starnut/cap that's hallow, it will work (most bmx bikes have their front brake set up this way, its pretty standard) If your LBS does not have what you need go to www.danscomp.com and order one. They have the $12.00 AHEADSET hollow cap, nut and bolt. I picked up a genaric one from my LBS for $4.99

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
scurban said:
I run My Hydro brake this way, Its easy, go to your LBS and pick up a bmx starnut/cap that's hallow, it will work (most bmx bikes have their front brake set up this way, its pretty standard) If your LBS does not have what you need go to www.danscomp.com and order one. They have the $12.00 AHEADSET hollow cap, nut and bolt. I picked up a genaric one from my LBS for $4.99
I've got to quit looking at that site before I buy a cruiser. I miss the prices of bmx stuff. My cranks cost more than a complete bike.

thanks

biggs: I'm holding :)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
kidwoo said:
I've got to quit looking at that site before I buy a cruiser. I miss the prices of bmx stuff. My cranks cost more than a complete bike.

thanks

biggs: I'm holding :)
I know, and their steel too, so they don't brake ever! This is way you see kids on BMX bikes that are like 2-3 years old, that look beat, (mainly cosmetic) but still run super smooth. You could probably build up the best BMX bike on the market for less the the cost of a MTB fork! and it will last 3 times as long. Its depressing ...... I just remind myself that I can take my MTB more places than a BMX ..... It kind of makes me feel better..... :(

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
yep, it would probably be a better idea to buy a bim-x starnut, but on my Kona you can see the tire through the stem! its amazing, its a Kona Knife Starnut, instead of tightening it with an allen, you tighten it with a wrench

STP

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
San Francisco
Be carful if you run a suspension fork w/ an alloy steerer tube w/ this set up.I have seen the brake line (mechanical or hydro) cut into the steerer & form a very ugly groove from sliding up & down inside of it. I'm sure this would cause the fork to eventually fail & most likely not covered under any warranty. I have had great luck w/ this set up on my Manitou Sherman DJ w/ 1 1/8 steel steerer & FSA hollow star nut kit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
STP said:
Be carful if you run a suspension fork w/ an alloy steerer tube w/ this set up.I have seen the brake line (mechanical or hydro) cut into the steerer & form a very ugly groove from sliding up & down inside of it. I'm sure this would cause the fork to eventually fail & most likely not covered under any warranty. I have had great luck w/ this set up on my Manitou Sherman DJ w/ 1 1/8 steel steerer & FSA hollow star nut kit.
In a battle of grit between the steerer and the hose, the hose won? Wow. Thanks for the heads up. My fork is both suspension and alloy of steerer.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hey man i found the hollow bolt the top cap. I think the star nut part is in my old ofrk. i can bang it out for ya. I can just mail it to ya in an envelope. Just surprise me with something cool in exchange if ya want it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
biggins said:
hey man i found the hollow bolt the top cap. I think the star nut part is in my old ofrk. i can bang it out for ya. I can just mail it to ya in an envelope. Just surprise me with something cool in exchange if ya want it.
Sorry, I don't have Megan's phone number.

PM me you address and I'll do the same. Make sure you can get the starnut out without destroying it. I don't think I've ever salvaged one before.

Thanks man.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
kidwoo said:
Sorry, I don't have Megan's phone number.

PM me you address and I'll do the same. Make sure you can get the starnut out without destroying it. I don't think I've ever salvaged one before.

Thanks man.
the trick is using a wooden dowel.