Quantcast

hydro-brake time

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm pretty set on Ultimate lever with Mech disks, but....

Magura Martas and Juicy 7s have made their way into my thought process. like the Maggies because of their reputation here in Austin, and the fact that they use mineral oil. like the Juicy 7s 'cause they're adjustable, and i have never been disappointed in an Avid product.

whachall tink?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I'd take the Martas over the J7s simply because of the seemingly persistent stuttering/shuddering and squealing problem some people seem to have with the J7. I guess round rotors would fix that though. I've also heard that the replacement parts that you have to use when shortening the lines don't always match up well (different threading?)

Plus the Martas look "cooler" if that matters at all. I have a riding bud that's been on Martas for a while now. He's a big guy and he loves them.

Hope Minis?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ive had good luck with my juicy 7s. they have a good feel to them and aside from the rear having a little too much fluid coming from specialized(which was quickly remedied), i have had no problems. they came on an 05 stumpjumper expert 120 but if you bleed them yourself then you wont encounter this problem.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
the Inbred said:
Hope's are more than i care to pay. even at bike shop cost.
Forgive me if I open the LBS vs mail order debate with this, but JensonUSA has Mono Minis at $150/$175 per wheel depending on which rotor you order. Seems like a pretty good price to me.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've been happy with my Avids so far. The adjustments work very well. No problems yet. Every Magura I've used hasn't had as good of a lever feel as the Avids...just my opinion....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
the Inbred said:
i'm pretty set on Ultimate lever with Mech disks, but....

Magura Martas and Juicy 7s have made their way into my thought process. like the Maggies because of their reputation here in Austin, and the fact that they use mineral oil. like the Juicy 7s 'cause they're adjustable, and i have never been disappointed in an Avid product.

whachall tink?
Avid Juicy 7's...once broke in, stopping is UNBELEVABLE! The adjustment is rel nice to have.

It's SO nice to have brakes you don't have to worry about when you ride! :thumb:

J

JRB

I like my Juicy 5s and 7s way better than I liked Magura Louises. I like my 5s better than the 7s, which I put on Julie's bike.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I bought a complete set of new (in box) XT disc brakes with levers and 6 bolt rotors on ebay for $120 plus $9 shipping. Bought a set of hoses and some fluid for $20. New brakes $150. Work awesome.....

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
I bought a complete set of new (in box) XT disc brakes with levers and 6 bolt rotors on ebay for $120 plus $9 shipping. Bought a set of hoses and some fluid for $20. New brakes $150. Work awesome.....
I got some Deore hydros on a whim the other day at an open house. They have XT rotors, 8" front. I am gonna put them on an urban bike. I don't recall the exact number, but it was around $55 or something. I posted it before, but honestly don't recall other than cheap.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
moff_quigley said:
Forgive me if I open the LBS vs mail order debate with this, but JensonUSA has Mono Minis at $150/$175 per wheel depending on which rotor you order. Seems like a pretty good price to me.
i work at a shop.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
loco, you tell me....

is DOT fluid really that bad to mess with?
Nope - just keep alcohol handy to clean things up. I did leave a little on the 7s when I bled them and there is a little funny stuff on the paint, but the frames had all been fine. I spray everything really well with alcohol when I am done. Juicys are a breeze to bleed and Magura is not the easiest to get parts for all the time. My Juicys rock.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
In the grand scheme of life, it really won't matter which ones you get. You won't be any faster or any slower. They all work well. Avid, Magura, Hayes and Shimano all have their stuff figured out. None are perfect, and none suck. I'd say get the cheapest ones that feel best to your hand. For me, that would be Shimano's.

Aug 6, 2005
I really like my Hayes mags. I can't believe that during a whole page and 1 post, noone mention Hayes
maby theres a good reason?!?!?!

actually Ive never tryied mags, i jus had a set of HFX9's on my old demo and gave up, and got some J7's and loved them, no problems ever. got em on my new bike also

J

JRB

I've had OK luck with Mags, and liked them better than Magura Louises, but I dig the Juicys way more.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm debating between Ultimate and SD SL levers for use with BB7s. the SLs seem to be the logical choice, but damn...i've wanted Ultimates for so long. will Ultimates last 2x as long, or make me 2x as happy?

or should i just say screw it all and go with Juicy 7s, which, in the end, will be just as much as Ultimates + BB7s + Flak Jacket housing.

(we had a 'brake clinic' at the shop the other day, and i am blown away with how easily Juicy 7s are bled.)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Andyman_1970 said:
I absolutely love my XT levers with XTR calipers...........easy to install and bleed and I can stop on a dime.

The shimano are easy to bleed and I've had good luck with the XT's, so I won't bag them. On the other hand I love the Avid J7's so much that three bikes in my garage have them on them.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
go with the 7's I had them on my Fisher, and liked them, and just got the 5's as part of the build kit on my new Yeti 575 and they are super easy to set up and bleed! and there stopping power is awesome!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm cheap and simple. I have been running Hayes since 2000 and love them. Feel great, zero issues, parts 'o plenty. I have tried others and the hayes lever fits my finger perfect. I can get hayes parts anywhere. I have no shops that carry Hope near me, 1 of the 4 shops carry various Shimano lines, but everyone carries Hayes.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
If you stick with mechs, dont spend that much on levers. They are just going to bend and feel crappy when you crash ;)