Quantcast

Hydro-disc trail repairs????

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Okay, so I think I'm making the move from my Avid discs to Hayes 8" hydros. I'm stoked, but, what do you all do fro traildide repairs?

With the Avids, I keep an extra cable in the pack, and can be up and running in five minutes should a cable snap, but I've been WAY out and seen a buddy's line blow from a snag and be SOL. Anyone carry extra lines with them? Fluid?:confused: :confused: This is my only reservation about hydros, so I'm looking for monkeys with field experience. Thanks.:thumb: :monkey:

I've been know as a packmule on rides due to my need to be harnessed with a Camelbak TransAlp filled with everything I can possibly shoehorn into it. But for this one I've got to say stay with the mech's for backcountry trailriding. It's quicker to change out a cable...and I prefer to service my hydro's in a clean area(my workshop) so I don't get any contamination in the system...very bad.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
If I make the switch I won't have this option.

I hear you on the packmule thing, I get ribbed by the crew for my bulging EMS pac, but when sh!t breaks, they know who the man is!;)

I have yet to familiariaze myself with the finer points of hydro maintenance.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I was riding last summer, and tore my line in a crash. As a temporary fix, I was able to cover the gash in several layers of super glue, to keep what fluid I had left, in the lines. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job.

Hydraulic brake maintenance is not a big deal. It's the same as rebuilding the brakes on your car only in miniature. But again, it is of utmost importance to work on a clean surface. I even use latex gloves while doing rebuilds... serves two purposes... keep contaminates out and hands clean:thumb:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by MojoJojo
Hydraulic brake maintenance is not a big deal. It's the same as rebuilding the brakes on your car only in miniature. But again, it is of utmost importance to work on a clean surface. I even use latex gloves while doing rebuilds... serves two purposes... keep contaminates out and hands clean:thumb:
Cool, thanks.

The superglue idea sounds good....I suppose the fluid would rip right through duct tape huh?:rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by VTinCT
Cool, thanks.

The superglue idea sounds good....I suppose the fluid would rip right through duct tape huh?:rolleyes: ;)
I suppose that superglue would keep the remaining fluid in the line... but why bother. You still wouldn't be able to use the brake. Just continue to enjoy the rest of your ride and fis it when you get home. Just avoid any long steep descents.

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
Originally posted by MojoJojo
but why bother. You still wouldn't be able to use the brake.
Actually, it worked quite well for the rest of the ride. The only reason I gound the tear, was because the first time I hit the brakes after the crash. The fliud squirted me in the face.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by BrokenChain
Actually, it worked quite well for the rest of the ride. The only reason I gound the tear, was because the first time I hit the brakes after the crash. The fliud squirted me in the face.
That sucks!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I wouldn't let the trailside thing get in your way of getting hydros. I've been running them for about 3 years, and good riding buddies for more like 5, and I can't remember ever having a customer come in saying something happened on the trail.

To be honest, I can't believe it doesn't happen though.

As far as the contamination thing, I never go as far as gloves and such. I just make sure the fluid going IN is clean.

Oh, and if you bring a bleed kit on a ride with you, please tell me so I can make fun of you :p

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If your really worried get some braided steel jacketed cables. They look pimp and seem to be pretty indesructable.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Matt D
I wouldn't let the trailside thing get in your way of getting hydros. I've been running them for about 3 years, and good riding buddies for more like 5, and I can't remember ever having a customer come in saying something happened on the trail.

To be honest, I can't believe it doesn't happen though.

As far as the contamination thing, I never go as far as gloves and such. I just make sure the fluid going IN is clean.

Oh, and if you bring a bleed kit on a ride with you, please tell me so I can make fun of you :p
it happens, and it used to happen from time to time w/ the magura hydro rim brakes back in the day. had a friend who used a set for xc racing and in a really really muddy race at the olympic track down here in atlanta crashed and somehow the line got snagged on something. anything like this though is a pretty major trail side repair and not a whole lot you can really do about it.......

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I ride with the ultimate crash test dummy...I've seen this guy smash into trees and rip the lever from the brake, but the housings held....soooo, I'm not going to worry. I was jusy wondering.

But it doesn't matter, as I've just bought the bike!!!!:D :monkey:

Sep 14, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Cali
I've only ridden with hopes . . . because nobody makes a better brake =) The brakes have one weakspot and that is the "noose" or the fitting that goes on either end of the hose and is then bolted to the lever or caliper. The noose at the lever is reenforced on most of the hopes that i've seen, but at the caliper it's a different story. I was riding urban a while ago on my Chameleon . . . In case you dont know, SantaCruz had the brilliant idea of putting the removable disc mount UNDER the chainstay . . . anyway I came down off a little drop wrong and creamed the caliper on a bench or rock or something. The bleeder and noose both snapped. Went to brake and nothing. DOH. But then again if you really want to you can cope with almost any kind of mechanical problem. My friends and I were waiting for our riding buddies to show up before an XC ride not long ago, and jumping out of my truck or something I did something retarded and snapped my brake lever (Avid Mag). Rode 15 or so miles with no front brake. Tough yes, but who said we dont like challenges. Moral of the tale, uhhh don't worry about it until you have to. =)

-Dave- :monkey:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Brakes are overated...they just slow you down!!:D
why i'm still riding v brakes. i mainly race i don't want to stop i just want to scrub a little speed off.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you're thinking about taking a bleed kit, fluid and hoses with you, I've gotta ask why not a whole extra frame?

Ripping a hydro cable is pretty rare...if it happens, suck it up and ride with one brake for the rest of the ride. There's only so much stuff you can take with you.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Silver
If you're thinking about taking a bleed kit, fluid and hoses with you, I've gotta ask why not a whole extra frame?
Yeah, thanks for the sarcasm. You're a funny guy.:rolleyes: I was just wondering, as I've never run hydros before, and cables are so simple for this reason.

But, now that I think on it, I could sling a spare front triangle over my shoulder. It'd be a good workout.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sorry, didn't mean to be that sarcastic.

But seriously, I've had forks blow up on me, drivetrains get mangled, and a broken seatpost....I've never had a hydro fail on me.

I'm sure that it will happen next ride now :)

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Silver
Sorry, didn't mean to be that sarcastic.

But seriously, I've had forks blow up on me, drivetrains get mangled, and a broken seatpost....I've never had a hydro fail on me.

I'm sure that it will happen next ride now :)
Dude, that is a super jinx!:eek: Go easy on that next ride man!;) :monkey: