Quantcast

Hydropack

Spudzie

Monkey
Dec 13, 2001
Hebron, ohio
Ok i'm looking to buy a new Hydropack for this year.
an since there are so many to choice from i'm asking my fellow monkeys on what do ya'll like.

Here is what i need/want

~atleast a 70 oz bladder
~nother tiny as i tend to haul alotta gear
~dont want to spend over $80
~color aint inportant....well as long as it aint pink or purple

any help is welcomed

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
There are about 12 thousand models that fit that description. I have good luck with the MULE from camelback, but find that on all dayers, sometimes (rarely) I want more room. They can be had for less than $80 frequently online.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hydrapak's bladder system sucks pinkshirtphoto's goat's balls...

stick to Camelpak
IMO Camelbak is horribly inconvenient to fill. That twist off nozzle is so irritating. Hydrapaks are much simpler as they fold and velcro. I think the new one has more of a zip seal. I have used the Glacier for over a year and haven't had a problem with it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
IMO Camelbak is horribly inconvenient to fill. That twist off nozzle is so irritating. Hydrapaks are much simpler as they fold and velcro. I think the new one has more of a zip seal. I have used the Glacier for over a year and haven't had a problem with it.
Yeah, it may take an extra 2.465 seconds to undo the screw bladder lid but at least it will hold water without leaking unlike a Hydracrap unless you spend 20 minutes sealing and folding it just so...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Yeah, it may take an extra 2.465 seconds to undo the screw bladder lid but at least it will hold water without leaking unlike a Hydracrap unless you spend 20 minutes sealing and folding it just so...
20 minutes to fold something over twice? Remember, we drink martinis after we ride.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Dakine Nomad pack. 100oz bladder, disconnectable hose which makes for easy filling, comfortable, holds tools/extra gloves/clothes.

edit: costs a little more. Haven't actually had any trouble with leakage though, except the seal on my old one fell off so it leaked, fixed it with some rubber bands for braces

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I like my Dakine and have had no problems, the screw caps on camelbaks get to tight but I have two of them and use them as much as the Nomad.

I like them all but each has a different use for me.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have a Camelpak Trailblazer and a NorthFace Hammerhead that I won after some races last year that I've never used. I use my circa 2001 MULE all the time.

The Trailblazer and Hammerhead are just too big for day rides

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I like my dakine when i bring DH pads with me. that pack holds everything and i have never had any leakage. I tend to use my MULE for everything else.. plenty of storage. and you can find last years model at less than half price if you wish

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got a Mule and a Nalgene pack of some sort. The Nalgene bladder system is awesome- the hose disconects from the rest of the bladder, so you can fill it without having the entire pack trailing around all over the place. And the valve there actually works, so it dosn't leak, even when the hose is disconected. The Nalgene also has better chest and waist straps, is more comfortable, and is just plain better. The Mule gets more use though, because the Nalgene is f'ing huge. It's a great super long ride/ trail work/ I want to carry extra clothes sort of ride pack though. When the Mule dies, it will be replaced by a similarly sized Nalgene.