Quantcast

hypothetically speaking...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
lets say you were a teacher and a student somehow thought that you knew a little bit about something like tattoos... or something... and came to you to ask your opinion about a tattoo design containing their Zodiac sign done in a rainbow. And lets just say she wants to get it on the back of her neck for all to see!

what do you do? I would have probably already told her that it is a stupid thing to put a tattoo on your neck like that... but how do you address the tattooing of an overtly gay symbol on a person sooooo young? and how would you address her coming out etc. ?

If this were not hypothetical I would have probably noticed that she has been tormented and struggling for some time now, and this would explain a lot about her troubles. I probably would have seen a load of weight off of her shoulders as she showed me the design, and she noticed my comprehension of what the sign and all of this meant...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would talk to her about other ways to deal with coming out, and her parents (I'm sure that's where the big hang up is). I would also suggest she get the tattoo middle of the back just below the collar so she can conceal if she wants, but still have the ability to show it off with spaghetti strapped shirts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe recommend that such a such a personal tattoo should be placed in a more discreet location. A tattoo can always be added later in life when your situation is settled, no need to make that stamp at an early age.

On a less serious note if she really feels that she needs to make an outward statement I'm sure a fauxhawk will have the exact same affect without the permanence.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Tell her to get a T-shirt made of the design and wear it around for a while before getting it embedded into her skin...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
"straighten her out"

hey, i heard that about my sister 10000 times. 'bout time i can say it to someone else.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there is nothing wrong with switch hitters.

she doen't have to commit to either side.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I would also suggest she get the tattoo middle of the back just below the collar so she can conceal if she wants, but still have the ability to show it off with spaghetti strapped shirts
i did a gang awareness presentation for a church located smack dab in the middle of a gang neighborhood. i was asked tons of random "what does this/that mean" questions about tattoos and hand symbols. one kid asked what it means when someone gets a name tattooed on their neck. i told him that a neck tattoo, specifically of a name, is a symbol that says, "i don't want a real job, please do not hire me." :D the parents in the group gave a good laugh, the younger kids were perplexed.