Quantcast

I-5

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
Does anyone have any updated info regarding this bike park they are going to build under I-5 in Seattle? Has there been any progress? :oink:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I tried to volunteer for that back in January or something, and the guy I emailed told me to "keep watching the site for volunteer opportunities." I have since let my membership in the BBTC lapse, because as much as they do for Tiger and St Edwards I don't feel like they are really working toward the kind of riding I'm doing. If anyone needs a hand really doing some trailwork, and can give me exact time, date, and coordinates and be there when I show up then mail me at tracelements23@gmail.com with a couple weeks notice and I'm there with shovels, axe and Jeep...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bummer about that lapse.

Patience grasshopper...

It won't be two sev but perhaps more of your liking. And, legal.
There's more going on than Tigger and Eddie's.

As for colonnades, it looks from the pics that it might have some "urban" to it as well. Digging should commence soon.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
more info about I-5 Colonnade

Thanks for everyone's interest in the project! Its getting very close to be time to start construction, and we anticipate starting within the next 2 months. The non-bike parts of this park have already started construction, and we just need to wait for a few pieces of the puzzle to fall into place and then BBTC will start work. This is more of a construction project than a trail building project, so it won't be your normal Pulaski and Macleod trail building operation. There will be lots of engineering, building, concrete, heavy equipment and an immense amount of rock work.

I was the one who said "stay tuned, we'll let you know when folks can start volunteering". Right now we've got volunteers working behind the scenes on construction management, financial planning and those type things, and if this is your cup of tea, give me a shout.

These projects take a lot of patience, and I understand how people can get frustrated by years of planning. That's just the deal with government projects, but if we can stick it out and play the game we'll get great trails that are permanent. We actually started this whole I-5 Colonnade process in early 2000. This has actually been a very fast project by government standards.

But that's why BBTC is here, and why I'm on staff; to stick it out and go to hundreds of boring meetings, and eventually get new trails out of it. Here's a sample of how long things take. Frustrating at times? Yes. Worth it? YES!
  • I-5 Colonnade: started 2000, construction will be complete in 2006.
  • Middle Fork Snoqualmie: Bikes kicked off in 1996, it looks like we'll be back on by 2006. We'll know by the end of next week if it will open next year, that's when the appeal window closes.
  • Olallie, Mt. Washington bike trail: Study by state parks first done in 1995, first phase of trail will be finished in 2007. Phase II, which is a lot more trail, could take another 5-10 years to get approval. more info here
  • King County Skills park. We're working on some jumps/ladderbridge/drops/flowline/DJ type stuff with King County, and hope to have a deal made this year, and have it open in 2007 or 2008.
This is just a sample of what we're working on. The good news is that the work is starting to pay off and we'll be seeing new trails next year - and I mean actual dirt, not just some proposal on paper. Exciting times!

Justin Vander Pol
BBTC Exec. Dir.
206-524-2900
justin@bbtc.org

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Thank's Justin! I'll be emailing you with some of the "progress" I've made with Seattle Friends of parks meetings.

Joel

I've been pushing for some of this sort of stuff for the skills/trials thing:

Attachments

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
ya that stuff would be cool. my friend told me about this project when it first came about and i have been following it ever since day 1 and it sure seems like its been a long time but it appears that it should be done within the year

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yeah, don't get me wrong: it's a great project for sure. It will be fun for a lot of folks around Seattle. My observations are true to me, though, and I stand behind both my earlier statement and my offer. I've put shovel to dirt for the BBTC at St Ed.s for trails that I never ride, just to give back for all the trails I do ride and have ridden over the years, and if anyone wants help making some trailwork happen my contact info is in my previous post. Next year I think I will just join the NSMBA from here and make it a point to hit their trail days as I am gravitating toward riding the Shore and that area more anyway. It's just a relevance thing.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Joel - good pics! I'm hoping that there will be plenty of stuff to keep trails guys happy at this park. I'll be watching my email.

Carbuncle - I ride the shore a lot too, and I think its cool that you're going to help dig on the trails your ride. NSMB, Whimps, Singletrack Mind or BBTC; It kicks ass when any rider helps out anywhere. Its my goal that within a couple years riders will be stoked about the local freeride scene. We're starting to make some progress, but we're still in the deal making stage, so no shovels hitting the ground yet for that kind of legal riding around here.

Justin

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Good attitude, Justin. You are definately the man for the job with the BBTC, and with that kind of positive vibe going, we may well work together in the future.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Checks? Well, if you're not sending one to the Red Cross, then I'm sure just sending it to "Juice" aka Justin at justin@bbtc.org will work and probably go towards a cool trialsy feature. Maybe even get it named for you or something like that.

Colonnades will be pretty damn cool for the in-town crowd. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.