Quantcast

I 69'd for the first time.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
We had the Trek/Fisher Demo this weekend, I was really anxious to try the new Hi-Fi 29er. ( I am looking for a new race bike) and I thought I had narrowed it down to either a Paragon or Hi-Fi (the shop I work at carries Trek, Fisher and Specialized and I have already eliminated the Stumpys as a choice) Well anyway I get to the Demo and the had a full compliment of 69ers as well as 29ers and carbon 26ers.

I have never really gave 69ers much of a thought before but I figured I might as well check them out (primarily to have an honest opinion to give customers that inquired about them.) I rode the Travis Brown SS first with the Maverick fork. It was a 17.5 and I would normally ride a large so it was a bit small but not bad, I took it on a trail that has a lot of climbing switch backs up the mountain, good single track with jumps and bumps on top of the mountain and the fast switch backs on the descent.

The SS climbed well, maybe not better than my rig but still well enough
for the climb I locked out the fork as it gave me a lot of bob.
I started to notice though the the bike easily navigated the tight switchbacks. once I got to the top I opened the fork up and started to rip up the single track, the front wheel acted just like a 29er should rolling over bumps and smoothing out all the little stuff, the back wheel didn't seem to have all the bumpiness I expected though and I found this bike was super easy to bunnyhop I got through all the techy stuff and proceeded to go back down, the Mav fork finally started to shine, I wasn't impressed with it on the singletrack but on full on descent it was really nice. On the descent is when I realized there might really be something to this 69 thing, I was able to carve better lines through the switchbacks than I normally do (I ride this trail a lot) I even had a smooth line on the off camber corner that i normally struggle with. Overall I enjoyed this bike and If I was in the market for a another SS this would get strong consideration even though I think the Mav fork is not the right fork for me.

any way I take the bike back to the Demo area and Ken the Demo guy ask's what I thought (he already knows I have been on 29ers for the past 4 years) I politely tell him I am reserving my Judgment until after I ride the Geared 69er . Ken smiles and pulls out a large geared 69er for me to try next. I take this bike on the same course that I rode the SS, and once again it climbs nice,instead of locking the fork out I experiment with riding style (I have been running a Reba with Remote and I am used to it) I haven't owned a geared bike since 04' so I am so used to standing on climbs like these and while climbing the Fox had some bob (not like the Mav though) But the in the back of my head my little voice says Robb this bike has gears try some of them, so I down shift and proceed to sit on the saddle while climbing. and the Fox fork really did it's job very little bob and soaking up the bumps while climbing. I get to the top and start to ride the singletrack and I feel really comfortable on this bike almost like I have owned it for years, I was worried that the back end would feel small, and it is small but it actually felt good, the bike was very flickable I was able to jump and hop and maneuver as needed, so much that I went out of my way to find more things to run over while on top of the hill, the bike just seemed as it was part of me not me on the bike, so then I proceed down hill and once again the bike descends well and this time I really try to push it again the bike really carves the switch backs at wide open speed on a rockier straight away I do feel some slight rear wheel chatter that I wouldn't feel on a 29er, but know where as bad as I would feel on a 26er either, and the speed I can keep up through the corners is more satisfying than the chatter is annoying.

I take the bike back to the Demo area and I have to wait to a large 69 fuel the whole time I am telling anyone who will listen how cool the 69er is. I finally get the Fuel and out on the course I go, I notice that on this bike the rear doesn't seem as small nor doesn't feel as flickable, but it climbed really well, rode the singletrack well and I believe it was the fastest on the descent but I had much more fun on the Hard tail, I don't I am ready for the world of Full squish yet , this bike however would be an excellent choice for someone who appreciates a nice XC full squish bike.

I am going to give my experience a few days to digest and If I am still giddy about the 69er (I really have never been excited by any Trek Mtb's in the past) I will probably EP one.....

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
About 3 weeks ago I had the opportunity to ride a Carver 96er on a 2+ hour, mostly singletrack ride. Not the same as the Treks you rode, obviously, but I came away from that ride very impressed with the 96er concept :drool:

I was this >< close to ordering one, but I'm looking at a 29er as being my machine for rides that encompass a variety of surfaces and it still seems to my mind that a full on 29er would be better for such rides.

But I ain't ruling a 96er out just yet ...

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Get one of each north20! :)

Here, with the use of smilies, I will illustrate my wife's reaction should I buy 2 bikes ...

Me: :lighten: :happydance:

Wife: :twitch: :rant:

Me: :disgust:

Wife: :nopity: :blah:

... And so it would go; we built a new house just over a year ago now. She's still very much in the "but we still need <insert randomly generated household necessity here> for the house !!". But, yeah, I love the idea of both :cheers:

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
The Mav fork should never be given out on a demo bike, ever IMHO. I have one and LOVE it, but It needed to be tuned to me. That took a small investment of time on my part (I knew I'd need to do this before even opening the box). Unless the folks are willing to swap the negative spring, change pressures and add/subtract oil from the air chamber, there's no way you can hope to get it ride for everyone who could ride the bike....and frankly, I think some folks who ride the 69er SS have a hard time getting past the fork's looks to a point, but even more so, the performance of a fork that isn't tuned to them--thus giving a poor impression of the bike.

That said, if they actually took the time, then they may convert a few more folks.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
So, you met "Demo Ken" huh? He is a really cool guy! I have hung out with him a few times at different venues. Super helpful and Trek has a gem of a mechanic/demo person in Ken.

Anywho.........I rode a Trek 69er SS at Nisene Marks in Cali last spring. I thought that frame was super stiff! It was about on par with my ol' Klein Attitude for stiffness and that thing was rock solid. No flex in that frame, that's for certain.

I always feel that 26"er rear wheel spin up really fast, but it also loses momentum really fast too. I always find my self pedaling up stuff more on 69ers than I do on full on 29"ers in rolling terrain. Climbing on the Trek was fine though, other than the momentum thing.

Going down I couldn't keep the rear end from popping off obstacles and catching air. Nose wheelies at warp speed are certainly thrilling, but I'd rather be in more control than that! I found the bike to be a good turn carving machine though too. The Maverick fork must have been spot on for me, because I thought it was awesome. Point and shoot over anything in your path. Of course, the bike I rode was prepped by Travis Brown, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Anyway, I never have ridden the geared or FS versions of the 69ers, so I have no input there. However; I think the SS is way over priced. Someone mentioned Carver. Well, you could score two Carver 96er SS bikes for the MSRP of one Trek 69er. That's just too big of a disparity in pricing, I think, even though the Trek is pretty bling for a SS.

That and the overwhelmingly stiff frame would turn me off, besides the fact of it having too small of a rear wheel. Not my cup o tea. YMMV.