Quantcast

I actually RODE my bike today...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Inspired by splat, I decided to get out on my bike today even though it was 25F outside. The wind was whipping which made it feel like -274C . A couple inches of snow fell last night too. We dont get to snow ride alot in Nashville, so I figured Id better go. I headed out to Montgomery bell State Park...about an hour away, but I got stuck in traffic on the interstate and got started late.

In short, the ride was painful and not alot of fun because it was very slow going, but Im glad I went anyway. I feel alot better now and my new bike is beginning to grow on me as a trail rig.

Creek crossings SUCK in the frozen winter and I had alot of them today. I seriously thought I had frostbite for a while, but it was still worth it.

...and here is the final edition of my bike as I am now too broke to buy any more parts. It gets the job done. Im beginning to like it alot.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Ghetto foot waterproofer, take some plastic grocery bags and use rubber band to hold em on, you should be able to clip in without making a hole in em.

Saw a guy do that on a rain ride we did months back.

splat

Nam I am
If you had a lot of creek crossings , did you freeze your derailers ? your pedals , your brakes ?

once you get use to it and Learn how to dress and ride in the cold ,it makes it a lot more enjoyable.

but still Good for you and Getting out there :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
There was Ice all over my der. but it didnt end up freezing, for whatever reason. It was definitely cold enough. My pedals were another matter. Any time I stopped it was hell to get in and out.

I wasnt cold except my fingers and toes. But they were very cold.

splat

Nam I am
BurlyShirley said:
There was Ice all over my der. but it didnt end up freezing, for whatever reason. It was definitely cold enough. My pedals were another matter. Any time I stopped it was hell to get in and out.

I rushed outthis morning and din't get a change to Spray ( with PAM ) my Pedals and derailers. and I had a little freezing action going on.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We rode today. Cold as a bitch (14deg) and windy as mother. Lots of trees down from the high winds yesterday. Not much snow but the hard frozen ground offered awesome traction. Fun chit. We will prolly go out tomorrow too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Hey me too:D Was having a great time doing some jumps and drops, then I notice it felt like I was riding a chopper:confused: Arg:( I blew my shock!:mad:

BurlyShirley said:

Switch to platforms when it's below freezing. Eliminates the clip-in problem and makes your feet a hell of a lot warmer, no thermal path through the cleat to the ball of the foot.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The chariot is lookin' good Shirl. I suppose at some point in the future you'll be upgrading the fork? What have you got youe eye on? (if anything)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
valve bouncer said:
The chariot is lookin' good Shirl. I suppose at some point in the future you'll be upgrading the fork? What have you got youe eye on? (if anything)
What could be considered an upgrade over a pike for trail riding?

I would like to get a boxxer to race some DH this summer, but the pike is fine for everything else. I was set on getting some more travel, but its really plenty for 90% of what I normally ride.