Quantcast

I always knew Pink Floyd did some timeless music...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
OGRipper said:
Wish You Were Here and The Final Cut are two of the most underrated albums ever.

And it's not Floyd without Waters. Gilmore can carry a band himself but it's still not Floyd.
Wish you were here kicks butt, I also love Animals:thumb:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Brian HCM#1 said:
Wish you were here kicks butt, I also love Animals:thumb:
You bet!!!

And if you want to stray a little farther here's a song by song reggae dub cover of Dark Side of the Moon by the Easy Star Allstars. It's actually very good and well produced.

MancilG said:
yeah they seem to have one hell of a following. But like I said just a little to strange for me....
Had you grown up in England during the blitz or just after, your music, poetry, whatever, might tend to be strange... Let's see if music from the Balkans twists in that direction in the upcoming generation there...

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
"One, two, free, four"...

I still have the DSOTM CD I bought in 1987. It was the first CD I ever owned and still plays flawlessly.

I find it funny no one has even mentioned Sid. Wasn't he like the founding father or maybe the founding friek?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
How about the barking dogs? You've *got* to admit that that's weird. :)
Hmm.

Maybe it's my music background, or it's just in comparison to the later noise music I've been exposed to, but most of PF's stuff does not seem weird to me at all.

Not even "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Bullitrider said:
I find it funny no one has even mentioned Sid. Wasn't he like the founding father or maybe the founding friek?
how many syd barrett songs do you think the casual PF fan has ever heard on the radio? or can even name?

maybe "see emily play", or perhaps "astronomy domine".

syd was an important part of floyd, but not important to the PF which became massively popular.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
how many syd barrett songs do you think the casual PF fan has ever heard on the radio? or can even name?

maybe "see emily play", or perhaps "astronomy domine".

syd was an important part of floyd, but not important to the PF which became massively popular.
But isn't the "loss" of Syd the drive behind a lot of the later PF work?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
he was pretty much the main subject for most of _Wish You Were Here_, i'd wager.

not much would be written about/inspired by Syd on stuff like _Atom Heart Mother_, _Obscured By Clouds_, or certainly _Animals_ or _The Wall_; perhaps "Brain Damage" is a nod in Syd's direction.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
he was pretty much the main subject for most of _Wish You Were Here_, i'd wager.

not much would be written about/inspired by Syd on stuff like _Atom Heart Mother_, _Obscured By Clouds_, or certainly _Animals_ or _The Wall_; perhaps "Brain Damage" is a nod in Syd's direction.

I've always found this interesting:

"During the WYWH sessions a fat, shaven-headed person wearing grey Terylene trousers, a nylon shirt and string vest wandered into the studio. The band ignored the visitor and kept on playing and it was the visiting Andrew King who finally recognised their guest: 'Good God, it's Syd! How did you get like that?' To which Syd replied, 'I've got a very large fridge at home and I've been eating a lot of pork chops.' The whole event was slightly un-nerving since the theme of the album was based on Syd and his subsequent madness."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skookum said:
i dunno guys, i liked some of those tunes when i was a kid too....
good music is timeless...there's so much stuff out you can't possible get a handle of all of it, so looking backwards can be a fruitful experience.

i guess the worst is only listening to stuff you listened to in high school/college, 10+ years on down the road.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
antimony said:
One of my coworkers is going to see Roger Waters in September. He just came and gave me a cd to listen to; it's Luther Wright or someone, a bluegrass rendition of The Wall. He knows the Wall verbatim, and said this is pretty interesting to listen to, so I figured bv and I can give it a shot while we clean tonight. :D
Speaking of Roger, anyone listen to "Pros and cons of hitchhiking"?

A classic made right before he went "all tweet-tweet".

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dwaugh said:
Same here... not my favorite music.... not at all... it's ok, but not much more than that.
What are you listening to nowadays, gotta be something good out there besides all this "grampa" music. :p

You should watch The Wall when you get a little older though. It's a really good flick.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skookum said:
i'll only listen to Bob Marley, everything else from the 70s i'll catch in the elevator.:)
i think i know what yr getting at, but mainstream radio didn't know dick about the 70s (or any era, for that matter). the 70s could be the most diverse era of rock music ever; the only true stinker years were 75/76...everything else had hugely impressive releases.

it could range from proto-metal, hard psych, glam, punk, hardcore, powerpop, folk, krautrock, etc...great stuff to be had all over the place.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skookum said:
What are you listening to nowadays, gotta be something good out there besides all this "grampa" music. :p
tune into my song of the day, chump.

Skookum said:
You should watch The Wall when you get a little older though. It's a really good flick.
bob geldof is a twat.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Skookum said:

I listen to a lot of classic rock on the radio, but I have never particularly understood the hybe behind them and U2... especially U2.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Westy said:
I think Meddle ranks pretty high up there.
insert demonic voice..."one of these days im going to cut you into little pieces"

yeah meddle rocks but id have to flip a coin twist animals and wish you were here

atom heart mother and saucer are just a bit too far out there for me, but interesting nonetheless

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
dwaugh said:
I listen to a lot of classic rock on the radio, but I have never particularly understood the hybe behind them and U2... especially U2.
Ugh...u2 is the worst.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can you imagine if Johnny Cash had been able to cover "Wish You Were Here," "Comfortably Numb," or "Hey You?"

Hell, a full-album cover of The Wall wouldn't have been a bad idea...

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MikeD said:
Can you imagine if Johnny Cash had been able to cover "Wish You Were Here," "Comfortably Numb," or "Hey You?"
i think i've got a Radiohead cover of "wish you were here" somewhere.

MikeD said:
Hell, a full-album cover of The Wall wouldn't have been a bad idea...

MD
yeah, it would have. no need to flog that beast anymore. imo, one of the more overrated records i can think of.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Yeah, it was a year or two ago. I thought it was good but they didn't really deviate from the orignal. Just a little more rocked out.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
Trainwreck said:
You bet!!!

And if you want to stray a little farther here's a song by song reggae dub cover of Dark Side of the Moon by the Easy Star Allstars. It's actually very good and well produced.

If one is a Floyd fan and a Reggae fan, this CD is a must. I find it to be one of the best covers of any music, any time. I've had it for a few years now and it still blows my mind every time I listen to it.

To the few Floyd naysayers, you wouldn't know good music if Pete Townsend hit you over the head with a Rickenbacker.