Quantcast

I am 6'5" - too tall for a DK General Lee 24?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
The subject pretty much says it all but I will go ahead and make this post long winded.

I used to own a large sized Specialized P.3 and overall it was too cramped feeling for an everyday bike and caused some back pain on longer rides.

I presently ride a large Preston FR, which fits me quite nicely. And although the Preston is quite a versatile bike it would be fun to have a totally different kind of bike, mainly for cruising around town, hitting the local dirt jumps, and general dicking around.

My ideal fun bike would be a Texas Firemans Cruzer but at $1200 complete it's a little more than I can justify spending on a secondary bike. But it does seem to be larger than a General Lee.

Would I have problems riding a General Lee? I like a bike like that to be flickable but if it's too cramped it's not going to work well.

The main thing that draws me to the General Lee is the cost. $265.00 for a complete bike is hard to resist. If size will be a problem, are there other cruiser type bikes I can look into at that kind of price range? I would say $300.00 is my max.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
when you say "fun bike" what do you intend to use it for? trails? skate parks? street? or a beer getter?

If you are looking for a dirt/street/park bike a Macneil Duce Duce (20" bmx bike) with S&M grand Slams and a 53mm stem would probably be better. You could build it up cheap, but it would still be over your $300 budget.

I've never ridden a General Lee, but I assume it would be ok. I'm sure some owners will chime in.
Yeah, you've got it - dirt jumps, skate parks, general cruising around in places where I don't need a big full suspension bike.

The long top tube of that MacNeil is tempting - it's just about the same as the top tube length of the large P.3 I used to have. The DK top tube is about the same as the small size P.3. But the MacNeil frame costs the same as the complete DK so it would probably be well over budget for what I am looking for.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
The subject pretty much says it all but I will go ahead and make this post long winded.

I used to own a large sized Specialized P.3 and overall it was too cramped feeling for an everyday bike and caused some back pain on longer rides.

I presently ride a large Preston FR, which fits me quite nicely. And although the Preston is quite a versatile bike it would be fun to have a totally different kind of bike, mainly for cruising around town, hitting the local dirt jumps, and general dicking around.

My ideal fun bike would be a Texas Firemans Cruzer but at $1200 complete it's a little more than I can justify spending on a secondary bike. But it does seem to be larger than a General Lee.

Would I have problems riding a General Lee? I like a bike like that to be flickable but if it's too cramped it's not going to work well.

The main thing that draws me to the General Lee is the cost. $265.00 for a complete bike is hard to resist. If size will be a problem, are there other cruiser type bikes I can look into at that kind of price range? I would say $300.00 is my max.
I'm not super clear on how much you'll be just cruising and how much jumping you'll do. If you want to sit down and get mountain bike-ish leg extension, you may want a 26" wheel bmx like the Volume Sledgehammer or SE OM Flyer 26". The Texas Fireman's Cruisers have both 24" and 26" versions. A 26" bmx will not be "flickable" though. They tend to be pretty long in the back. MTBMX/DJ 26's are where it's at as far as short chainstays and flickability with big wheels.

If you thought the Long P3 felt cramped you probably won't like riding a General Lee 24 that much. At least on an mtb it's easier to find really long stems to make a bike feel roomier.

You can put tall bars on the General Lee, but it will still feel short in the front to you. 21.5"tt. The only long stock bmx cruiser I can recall was a Redline. I don't know what the current model is like though.

The other stock bmx street cruisers out there (Haro Backtrail X24, Free Agent Devil, Diamond Back 24 etc.) are all going to be very similar to the General Lee 24 with 21.5"tt, 15.5" cs, etc.

You can also check craigslist in your area for a bmx race cruiser that is an XXL size.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
The long top tube of that MacNeil is tempting - it's just about the same as the top tube length of the large P.3 I used to have. The DK top tube is about the same as the small size P.3. But the MacNeil frame costs the same as the complete DK so it would probably be well over budget for what I am looking for.
I have a Macneil Deuce Deuce in the Buy/Sell thread.

You can't really compare top tubes between 20" bikes and 26" bikes. It just doesn't work. Like a 21.5"tt mtb is pretty short, whereas that's a long 20". The tubes are angled completely different.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I have a Macneil Deuce Deuce in the Buy/Sell thread.

You can't really compare top tubes between 20" bikes and 26" bikes. It just doesn't work. Like a 21.5"tt mtb is pretty short, whereas that's a long 20". The tubes are angled completely different.
Can you elaborate on the differences in the way the two types of bike feel? I am very ignorant of BMX measurements.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Del,

I'm just an inch or two shorter than you and feel pretty comfortable on mine. I'm getting some taller bars soon which should help even more.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
jd has it. Put some 7 or 8" bars on and you will be fine. It will be a little small, but everything is a little small on you, right?
Not everything :biggrin:

Cool - I might very well look into it then. It's such a small investment for what will probably be a very fun play bike.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
If sitting down and pedaling is part of your plan, forget about it. I am 6'3" and the GL fit me fine for dirt jumping.

More importantly, how much do you weigh? If you are much more than 225 lbs you are gonna be going through parts in a hurry.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
If sitting down and pedaling is part of your plan, forget about it. I am 6'3" and the GL fit me fine for dirt jumping.

More importantly, how much do you weigh? If you are much more than 225 lbs you are gonna be going through parts in a hurry.
It definitely wouldn't be a "pedal all day" kind of bike. I've got the Preston for that job. This would be more for focused rides to the dirt jumps (which involves only a mile or two or pedaling to get there) and occasional runs to the skatepark.

I weigh just under 200 lbs fully geared up so weight shouldn't be a problem.

Now I just need to:

1. Start selling crap to scrounge up the money
  2. Convince my wife a small bike will not take up too much room in the house :)

Does anyone know a good online source where I might be able to find a used General Lee or a previous year's model? I'm unfamiliar with BMX type sites.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
[*]Convince my wife a small bike will not take up too much room in the house :)
my bikes taking up space is simply non-negotiable. c'mon, dude, what team are you on ? heh heh.

Does anyone know a good online source where I might be able to find a used General Lee or a previous year's model? I'm unfamiliar with BMX type sites.
craigslist is best. i see general lee cruisers all the time on the austin craigslist. i picked up mine for $150. perfect condition, basically unridden.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
my bikes taking up space is simply non-negotiable. c'mon, dude, what team are you on ? heh heh.
If I can figure out how to better store the three bikes we have I'll be in business. One is on its way out so that'll free a little space. I need to see if I can create a wall rack or something. I can't wait to have a house so I can go crazy collecting bikes :D

craigslist is best. i see general lee cruisers all the time on the austin craigslist. i picked up mine for $150. perfect condition, basically unridden.
I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist then and hope to luck out.