Quantcast

I am a bad dad.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Woke up this morning with the alarm at about 7 am. I had to go to work, but there was no set time as it was voluntary. (I'm trying to get ahead on our scheduled shipments in case Mrs. H8R goes into labor)

I jump out of bed and turn off the alarm and I realize I am way more tired than I thought. Time to flop down for an hour or so more of snoozing before I go in.

I sit down on the edge of the bed and as I go to lay down I scoot firmly toward the center....

...solidly hip-checking my pregnant wife in the belly.

:disgust1:

I didn't notice that she'd rolled over toward my side as I got up to get the alarm.

She screams out in total pain and panic. I am freaking out, not knowing WTF I did.

After the pain won't go away for a few minutes she calls her midwife. Her belly is sore and crampy. The baby isn't moving at all. This goes on for about a half hour.

The midwife on call suggests she eat something and drink something to get some sugar in her system to see if that kick-starts some baby movement. It does...but just a little bit.

By now I am feeling like the biggest jerk on earth. :(

Midwife tells us to go to the hospital for fetal monitoring and blood tests. Possible risk of placental separation.

:shocked:

Went to the maternity ward, got all hooked up and she had some blood drawn. After an hour of monitoring everything looks ok but she is very tired and stressed out.

Baby has a heart rate average of 145! I forgot a baby's heart goes that fast.

They take the blood to test if there is any of the baby's blood cells mixed in with mama's, and to check if the blood is freaking out to coagulate. So for no word back from them, so I think we are ok.

I suck.

Mama is at home resting and sore. I am stuck at work. I am a fvcking idiot. I am sleeping on the couch from now on.
:rant:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Don't sweat it. That is just the first of the 34,756 stupid dad things you will do. Just be thankful you waited this long for the first one.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You didn't do it on purpose, but I know that doesn't help.

If your kid's HR averaged 145, the baby's fine. One time, my wife was concerned about the baby's lack of movement, so I told her to get a Chai Tea, but to not blame me when she gets kicked in the kidney or lung.

I'm going to guess that y'all have a queen size bed?

How many weeks is the pregnancy?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Don't sweat it. That is just the first of the 34,756 stupid dad things you will do. Just be thankful you waited this long for the first one.
Uh...I've been doing stupid dad sh1t for 16 years already.

This is just the first with this kid.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Yes. My wife will not be talked into a king size. She calls them "divorce makers"
My wife thought the same, but it hasn't negatively affected us, but I could sleep relatively comfortably when she had 42 pillows in bed :D
Almost 38. Baby is head down, occiput anterior, ready to rock. Any time now.
Rock on!

You mentioned midwives, so are ya going drug free? We felt a little cheated since we had to have a c-section. Doesn't matter now that we've got the little one here sucking her tits.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I know that feeling. When the Boss was pregnant with X3co-pilot, I did something similar, but itinvolved turning around with a box I was carrying and I had forgot the extra lead time she required when manuevering into a doorway. A little scary for sure.

My wife said the same about King beds until little dude was feeding then when he learned to get into bed with us. Now, we feel cramped in anything less.

Hang in there and go home and rub her feet, that seems to fix everything.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You mentioned midwives, so are ya going drug free? We felt a little cheated since we had to have a c-section. Doesn't matter now that we've got the little one here sucking her tits.
Drug free preferred, or whatever it takes.

Mrs. H8R is a champion breather and a master at pain management.

Regular yoga practice and recovery from back surgery a few years ago has prepped her well.

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
I watched my last one being born and it wasn't the "beautiful experience" that everyone describes. It looked like a wet Saint Bernard coming in through a cat door.
the "beautiful experience" is about life being created, it's not about looking good :disgust1:

to the OP - sounds like things are going to work out ok for you. congrats on doing it again after 16 years...mine are 12 and 8 and i couldn't imagine going through the baby/toddler stage again.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Forgot, about queen beds... my wife read on ivillage that a lot of husbands wind up sleeping on the couch for the last few weeks since there ain't enough room :)

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
as I write this. Going to be a dad for the second time. I was there when my daughter was born it was cool but also shocking its strange to see your wife have this baby pop out of her and see all the blood and muck. The wife is in the bedroom chilling. Guess we are going to the hospital in the next 24 hours. Can't wait to see my son.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Forgot, about queen beds... my wife read on ivillage that a lot of husbands wind up sleeping on the couch for the last few weeks since there ain't enough room :)
A king size will hold mother/father/new born/110lb rhodesian ridgeback with room to spare.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dude, crap like that happens, and it seems like everyone's OK. I did similiar things when Mo was pregnant, and in a full size bed (now that's cramped, especially with "little Mr. So and So" occasionally sleeping with us...)

Drug free birth!

Drug free youth!

(god, I sound like that NYHC band, the Abused...)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
as I write this. Going to be a dad for the second time. I was there when my daughter was born it was cool but also shocking its strange to see your wife have this baby pop out of her and see all the blood and muck. The wife is in the bedroom chilling. Guess we are going to the hospital in the next 24 hours. Can't wait to see my son.
CONGRATS!

Are ya sure it's labor, instead of braxton hicks, contractions?
A king size will hold mother/father/new born/110lb rhodesian ridgeback with room to spare.
Somehow, my 10# cat takes up as much room as your dog. But yeah, much more versatile.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
we're actually downsizing to a queen so that the kids are less likely to end up in our bed every morning. our california king comfortably accommodates us, all three kids, 2 taco bell dogs and a cat.
Might not be good for husband and wife,but that does sound awesome. I remember winding up in bed in the mornings as a child.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Good luck mate, it sounds like it will all turn good.

You aint the first guy to do something stupid... And it wasn't intentional.

Good luck.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Yours too? My wife is STUCK on that site constantly.

Then again, RM is usually up when I'm in front of the computer so...

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My wife is at 19 wks and I've popped her in the belly a few times already in bed. We now sleep with a pillow in between us. :(