Quantcast

I am considering a road bike..is that a crime? please advise...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

I am in the UK. I am considering to get a road bike in order to burn some fat. The trail is like 7 miles (mostly uphill) from my house, and this turns out that i dont cycle often. I need to ditch some fat from my body, so ...1 or 2 rides to the trail per week wont do it.

Given that in the UK we have a mud galore in the trails, that makes me ride even less sometimes. However i got a wonderfull paved riverside trail next to my front door, and i was considering spend 1500$ to get a road bike, in order to improve my stamina and reduce my weight. Plus ....frequent cycling may help me to quit smoking. Note , that riding on road is fine even after rain...but that is not the best idea for mountainbiking.

Pay in mind that i am "sworn" into Dh/Fr (light stuff) and i got an SX as a primary bike. I was considering a beefy DH/FR frame in order to build a heavy FR/DH second bike and use the SX as a trailbike (as i do now). But it seems that without a car, i am left only with some mild hills around... so a heavy DH bike looks useless for the time beeing. As i was making this complicated thoughts, i had this sinful idea of road biking (i used to train and race road bikes 12 yrs ago).

What do you think?

BTW

I am looking at Bianchi ML3 , and Specialized Allez Comp.
Also, Campy Veloce or Shimano ultegra?

Thanks again.

Yours
Yannis.

PS. I also want to improve my pedalling when mountain biking with the SX, hence the road idea. And road training with a 35lbs SX and 2.3 FR tires is not good...

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
It's a good idea. I've lost all kinds of weight on my road bike, and it's much more fun than I thought it would be.

As for what kind to get? Ride a bunch of them, you'll know when you get on the right one.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i purchased an aluminum framed GT ZR 4000. Just an average frame with low end components. I bought it about 5 years back for around 400 pounds (thank you XE.com :p )
let me prefice my story by saying i usually ride (mt. bikes) year round, even thru our muddy season. I believe our weather out here (Seattle Wa.) is similiar to yours, but we've managed to keep our canopy of tree's. So in the handful of times i ride the bike in a year it's helped me quickly build up "my wind" versus jumping right back into a muddy trail, after a few weeks or an occasional month off the bike.
Also i use it for a summer ride here or there, just to enjoy the city. Much nicer way than to commute by bus or car. Also someday i hope to ride a century 100 miles, sorry i don't have a miles/kilometer's converter handy.:p Mainly just to say i've done it.
So i spent that amount on a bike that i ride only a handful of times in the year, and i say it's been money well spent.

Now on quitting smoking. Stop puffing on them fags. (i've always wanted to say without being mean spirited) I was raised by grandparents who smoked in the house all my life. When they quit i wound up taking up the habit at 14 and smoked til i was 27. I never quit or really thought of quitting, but instead of going into the whole big story, when i decided to quit that was it... i was done..... I've kicked the habit since and cycling has been a major factor in me accomplishing this. It really does make a difference in quality of life, and helps in cycling. I still have to work much harder than a person who didn't abuse their body like i did, but each year it has gotten better and better for me. This year already has been noticeably better.

Good luck.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Thanks mates for all the advice.

Skookum, thanks for the smoking tips... i ll ditch the bloody habbit real soon. I used to be a semi-pro swimmer for 6 years (12-18yrs old), and i started smoking when i was 23. Now i am 27 and i am on the virge of quiting for performance reasons.

Now as for the bike, should i bite the bullet and road ride with my SX or should i take a roadie?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think you should get a roadie, but I'm biased. What about putting slicks on your lighter mtb and ride that for a few weeks?

A friend just dropped $1500 on a road bike and I was totally blown away by the service she got. If you're lucky find a shop that will measure you up and build you a bike. She got an Orbea frame, carbon fork, forgot what the wheels were, but they were nice, and complete Campy Veloce group... everything ordered to spec. I'm totally going to the same shop when I buy a new bike.

PS: you said Veloce or Ultegra... I think Centaur compares with Ultegra and Veloce compares with 105. IF I'm right, then you may see a price difference between 'em.

Get fenders :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by math2014
... i started smoking when i was 23. Now i am 27 and i am on the virge of quiting for performance reasons.
ah, the little lady is complaining, eh? :devil:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
GO for it...I'm a DH guy all the way but going to be ordering the build kit for my custom bikesource cannondale tommorow.

Riding road is something that is brainless and a great way to think about things amongst get in a GREAT workout/train more specifically.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
i'm in the process of training for the Marine Corps marathon in washington dc in october... i've been using road biking on my non-run days. definitely making a lot of difference. i've been using a beater, but i'd like to get something nicer later this year

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by neversummersnow
Riding road is something that is brainless...
haha, you try NOT thinking when you're crusing down Flagstaff (it's in Boulder for the non-CO peeps) at 45mph.

In fact, I hope Squeak see this thread :D

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by LordOpie
ah, the little lady is complaining, eh? :devil:
You bet she is complaining! I used to swim for 4-6 miles as a non smoker (in the swimming team), and as a cyclist i could easily pull 100 road miles per day... or 15miles sustained uphill. Now...i see a hill and i walk....

The plan is to quick the cigarette, and ditch 10-20lbs. I am sick and tired of feeling like an old man on the virge of dying. Heck i can do better than that!

As for the bikes, the enduro SX is my only bike at the moment, its 36lbs with fat tires etc... some say to me, to suck it up and road train on it, some say to get a road bike. Given the fact that i love getting new bikes, i am looking at getting a new one.

The whole idea began when i was considering a heavy DH bike ... then i thought,... hmm... DH bike... hmm i got no car... hmm...there are no DH trails within riding distance from my house.... hmmm... i reckon i ll just waste 3000$....
Hence it popped to me...tha a road bike would be a bike that i could use MUUUCH more than a DH bike, given my current residential and shuttling status.

Damn, i would love to have a scream or a v10, with DC forks....its a fetish, but... unfortunately ...i dont see that it will be usefull. I got the SX and with Z1s and DH wheels i reckon it can suck up tough trails. Your input on the roadie-vs-DH on my situation is more than wellcome.

As for the component groups.

Record~ DuraAce
Chorus~DuraAce/Ultegra
Veloce~105
Mirage~Tiagra
Xenon~Sora

Did i get it right? Should i have any bias towards shimano or campy? apart from the fact that i am a sworn tifosi? Bikes with Veloce have the same price as bikes with Ultegra (the ones i ve seen).

As for the usual mtb news... i am getting tommorow my new FR wheelset... Sun MTX rims and hope hubs (red anodised )... i ll keep you posted.

Thanks for the replies guys.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
if money's not an issue, I totally encourage you to get a road bike. I say this only cuz I didn't know I was gonna love road riding and didn't want to drop the dough on something I might not do very much.

IF you think you'll ride at least 200 miles/month, I think you should definitely get something decent 105/veloce or better.

I'm waiting until next "off"-season for prices to drop and I'll buy 853 steel with ultegra/chorus.

If you want to be a "real" roadie, you're supposed to go campy ;) I couldn't care less as long as it's somewhat comfortable and performs. Now I'm addicted to long climbs and speedy downhills :D

I can't offer any advice about dh vs road, but I am overweight, so I can say get your ass in gear... get it? haha, i'm so funny before i have my coffee.

PS: get a triple front if you are lucky enough to have fun climbs there.

EDIT: I forgot the most important part about me becoming a roadie... I enjoy mtb soooo much more! I used to mtb for fun -and- exercise, now, I mtb strictly for fun.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
if money's not an issue, I totally encourage you to get a road bike. I say this only cuz I didn't know I was gonna love road riding and didn't want to drop the dough on something I might not do very much.

IF you think you'll ride at least 200 miles/month, I think you should definitely get something decent 105/veloce or better.
Agreed. I skimped on my road bike, and got the cheapest one I could find, since I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it or not... I love the bike, but wish I'd have gotten a bike with better components (I've got sora now)...

I have been increasingly riding the mountain bike to the trails rather than driving to get there. For me that's three to ten miles depending where I'm headed. Doesn't have the heady soaring feeling of a road bike, but gives me more miles on my main ride (a Joker).

J

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Agreed guys.

I ll start road riding in order to get more fun out of my mountain biking. Be it on a road bike or on my FR mountain bike.

I used to road ride 10yrs ago and i liked it a lot... boring...yes... but speedy and rewarding in terms of fitness. If i get a road bike then definately i am going to ride 5hrs per week minimum...(road) so i guess a Veloce or Centaur is the name of the game for me...as well as a pair of Ksyrium Equipe wheels or Campy Scirocco.

Damn i cant believe how cheap are the road bike components.... and the frames!!!!! (well ok...apart from some litespeeds...).

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Here are my tips for you. Campy and shimano are equal in most ways, put your hands on the shifters of each and find which one feels most comfortable for shifting. Campy has thumb levers where Shimano has all index levers.

As for the bike. Don't get your heart set on a bike, find a shop that knows road bikes and how to fit them. Have them take your measurements and recomend a bike in or around your price range that would work best for you. Make sure they are not just making you stand over the frame. More than likely they will need to change out the stem.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Motionboy2
Here are my tips for you. Campy and shimano are equal in most ways, put your hands on the shifters of each and find which one feels most comfortable for shifting. Campy has thumb levers where Shimano has all index levers.

As for the bike. Don't get your heart set on a bike, find a shop that knows road bikes and how to fit them. Have them take your measurements and recomend a bike in or around your price range that would work best for you. Make sure they are not just making you stand over the frame. More than likely they will need to change out the stem.
Yep will do that.... i already got a road bike... (back in Greece from my roadie days), so i guess i will figure out again the basics about fitting. For my height...185cm ..i reckon i need a 56cm frame... now ...the stem and bars are the points to play with...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by neurostar
Agreed. I skimped on my road bike, and got the cheapest one I could find, since I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it or not... I love the bike, but wish I'd have gotten a bike with better components (I've got sora now)...
upgrade as stuff wears out :D My wheels only had 1500 miles when they started to crap, but it gave me an excuse to by a pair of Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra... for my Sora bike :) it's like a whole 'nother world when i'm using those wheels. I use the old set for commuting to work.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep will do that.... i already got a road bike... (back in Greece from my roadie days), so i guess i will figure out again the basics about fitting. For my height...185cm ..i reckon i need a 56cm frame... now ...the stem and bars are the points to play with...
It is a bit more involved than that. I mean, there are 56cm frames that are C-C and others that are C-T, there are seat angles and top tube lengths...
It would be in your best interest to consult with a quality shop to see what they reccomend for your actual body fit.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
upgrade as stuff wears out :D My wheels only had 1500 miles when they started to crap, but it gave me an excuse to by a pair of Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra... for my Sora bike :) it's like a whole 'nother world when i'm using those wheels. I use the old set for commuting to work.
That's the plan. Although, I'm hoping things will work just fine, at least until I graduate, so I can go buy a kickass bike. :)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
haha, you try NOT thinking when you're crusing down Flagstaff (it's in Boulder for the non-CO peeps) at 45mph.

In fact, I hope Squeak see this thread :D
Yeah yeah, lucky I read it! :D

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Get a road bike if you can afford it.

Have a good shop fit you for it. Top tube length is as important as seat tube length in a road bike. Mountain bike are easy switch stems, bars, etc to dial in the fit - you aren't as static in your positioning on a mountain bike, so the fit has some wiggle room.

On a road bike you are in a fixed position for longer periods, so fit is much more important. Your shoulders and lower back will thank you for having the right top tube, and the bike will handle better.

Get the nicest frame, fork, and hubs you can afford, everything else you can upgrade as it dies. Nice thing abour road parts is they last alot longer than mountain parts - barring any crashes.

Expect any Shimano STI levers to die in a few years, they just do.

Look into a steel frame, it lasts forever and it's easy on the joints.

Happy hunting.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Get a road bike if you can afford it.

Have a good shop fit you for it. Top tube length is as important as seat tube length in a road bike. Mountain bike are easy switch stems, bars, etc to dial in the fit - you aren't as static in your positioning on a mountain bike, so the fit has some wiggle room.

On a road bike you are in a fixed position for longer periods, so fit is much more important. Your shoulders and lower back will thank you for having the right top tube, and the bike will handle better.

Get the nicest frame, fork, and hubs you can afford, everything else you can upgrade as it dies. Nice thing abour road parts is they last alot longer than mountain parts - barring any crashes.

Expect any Shimano STI levers to die in a few years, they just do.

Look into a steel frame, it lasts forever and it's easy on the joints.

Happy hunting.
Cheers, i am looking into Campy Veloce or Centaur for components, and mavic xyrium equipe wheels or campy scirocco wheels. As for frames... most of the affordable frames are aluminum ones. Plus i got a Bianchi fetish... :D:D:D:D i might just shoot for the ML3 or SL3 models.

As for the fitting, i ll spend some time fitting the bike for sure...
for a first stop i ll check wrenchscience.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Back to my dirty SX now!!! (enough roadie stuff said...)

:devil:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Cheers, i am looking into Campy Veloce or Centaur for components, and mavic xyrium equipe wheels or campy scirocco wheels. As for frames... most of the affordable frames are aluminum ones. Plus i got a Bianchi fetish... :D:D:D:D i might just shoot for the ML3 or SL3 models.

As for the fitting, i ll spend some time fitting the bike for sure...
for a first stop i ll check wrenchscience.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Back to my dirty SX now!!! (enough roadie stuff said...)

:devil:

If a Bianchi fits (shortish TT) look at this one:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/veloce.html

We sell those where I work, pretty nice rigs for the price.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Aluminum road bike frames are a harsh ride - you really should consider quality steel if you can afford it.

Bianchi lower & middle priced bike frames are outsourced from Tiawan, the brand no longer has the chache it once did; they'll slap their name on anything. You can get a similar quality frame from many other makers for much less - no sense in paying for mass marketing if you don't have to.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Aluminum road bike frames are a harsh ride - you really should consider quality steel if you can afford it.

Bianchi lower & middle priced bike frames are outsourced from Tiawan, the brand no longer has the chache it once did; they'll slap their name on anything. You can get a similar quality frame from many other makers for much less - no sense in paying for mass marketing if you don't have to.
So only the high-end frames are still made in italy? If that is the case...then i ll probably get a Giant OCR, or generally something else...maybe an Orbea or a Specialized Allez. I would opt for bianchi only for the "made in italy" thing. If this is lost to a "made in ...something" then i wont.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So only the high-end frames are still made in italy? If that is the case...then i ll probably get a Giant OCR, or generally something else...maybe an Orbea or a Specialized Allez. I would opt for bianchi only for the "made in italy" thing. If this is lost to a "made in ...something" then i wont.
If you get lucky and find a shop that'll measure you up without breaking the bank, you won't choose the frame, the frame'll choose you... so to speak. The friend who just bought a bike had never heard of Orbea, but measuring her up and the bike seemed a good match according to the shop.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
If you get lucky and find a shop that'll measure you up without breaking the bank, you won't choose the frame, the frame'll choose you... so to speak. The friend who just bought a bike had never heard of Orbea, but measuring her up and the bike seemed a good match according to the shop.
I ll measure up and see what goes on. In the meatime i found a Lemond Alp d'Huez Reynolds 853 Steel with Shimano 105 gruppo and Mavic CPX21 wheels. for 800GBP

Also i saw some Tifosi frames, 7005 Colombus tubes, carbon seatstays for 500GBP, :D:D:D:D:D

Either Steel or Alu frame with carbon post or seatstays for comfort?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
The whole aluminium offers a harsh ride thing is only sort of true today. They've done a GREAT deal with shaping/swagging/butting of tubes to give aluminium a stiff yet compliant ride. It's definitly the material of choice for me and most guys over 180 lbs. Lighter guys still may prefer it but don't neccissarily want it as much as the bigger guys. Specialized is doing some really cool integration of quartz inserts/carbon into their price concious (sp?) road bikes to take away all high frequency vibrations yet still keep things stiff and fast. The most important thing is NOT material or weight but FIT.

I just did a fit yesterday, I'm 6 2" and believe it or not a 57 or 58 CM Cannondale fits me dead on. (got lucky, I bought a 57)

The fit found that a 120 leangth 100 degree (96 depending on stack height), Easton 44 handlebar, semi-setback post (alla NOT thomson) will fit me dead on. It's a pretty cool process you go through to get fit. Totally worth it.

Hopefully my bike will be built up by next week.

Best deals going are coming from---
Cannondale
Giant
Specialized

as they do the highest volume thus can offer bikes a better prices.

CANT WAIT!!!