Quantcast

I am going to be in Olympia Friday March 9th

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
...to see this son of a b!tch! :banghead: And Stand on the steps of the capital as part of the ORV Rally.

I sent his this letter:

Senator Kline,

Your response to SB 5544 has recently been brought to my attention. Please see your letter in question posted below:

"From: Kline, Sen. Adam
Subject: RE: Possible NC: SB 5544

Dear Mr. (removed because this persons name isn't important),

I signed on because I have been annoyed, endangered, and angered one too many times by people riding motorized dirt-bikes and other off-road vehicles that have no damn business anywhere. To me, this bill is narrow--it doesn't include those "personal watercraft," seemingly jet-powered little missiles whose only apparent purpose is to risk death and dismemberment for boaters and swimmers, for the amusement of spoiled drunk teenagers.

Yes, I am sure there is the occasional responsible person who rides one of these machines on land or water. And yes, like every human being I have been pleasantly surprized to find my stereotypes broken. But why, why, why, do folks insist on motorized "sports"? Those two words are an oxymoron. There is nothing sporting--athletic, physically demanding--about riding any machine anywhere. And it's a damned annoyance to folks who see the outdoors
as a place to go for quiet and solitude and self-exploration. I would be happy to ban the use of the internal combustion engine off-road, by anyone without a handicapped sticker, subject to a stiff fine. Maybe we could call this an anti-obesity measure.

Please circulate this to all motorized sports enthusiasts, so they can
remember never to vote for me.

Adam Kline"

If it is the actual response from you Senator, believe me it is being circulated.

I am able to count the letters written to the government by me on one hand, so you can think of yourself as special. I am outraged at the blatant prejudice displayed in this letter, and hope that this letter is not authentic. I am surprised to see such ignorance coming forth from your office. In fact from the tone of the letter I can only guess you were drunk or under the influence of drugs when you crafted such a blatantly inflammatory response.

I am a second generation dirt bike rider, and grew up riding with my mother, father and little brother. I perform trail maintenance, clean up forested areas of illegal dumping where we recreate, and have enjoyed my 2 wheel recreation for coming up on 28 of my almost 32 years I have been on this earth. I would like to know what so soured you to the point that culminated in this letter. I am heading down to Olympia Friday March 9th, taking time off of work, because this subject is important to me and my family and friends.

Please respond to the letter to authenticate your original feelings posted above. If this is not an accurate letter of your position, than let your actual opinion be known.

A registered voter in Washington,

Kevin P Dahlen
Lynnwood, WA

PS- I an a little lit up about this right now.....:twitch: They are legislating to make ORV's illegal to ride under the disguise of a noise law. Just ORV's not yard equipment, cars, etc. ORV's only. *grrrrrr*

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
wow just reading that makes me want to hit the guy...

I have been planning on trying to make it up next friday but it's not looking good cause of ride problems

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I think a Foes Mono (and Intense ;) ) would be to loud under the clasification of noise tying to be put forth by this law.

Yeah I was in fear of going to jail for my thoughts after reading Klines letter....good thing they were only thoughts and Kline was not near me.

Rhino

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If this is real I am going to e-mail this moron every day with my thoughts on his "view point." What a tool.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Give em hell Kev. Unfortunately there are alot of folk who would agree, including mt. bikers. It's a sad state in that there are alot of folk who want to dictate how we recreate. And in many ways they would love to implement blanket policies just banning any use besides hiking.

i would encourage people reading this stuff to read up and perhaps joining clubs like IMBA, BBTC, STM, and Blue Ribbon Coalition.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Give em hell Kev. Unfortunately there are alot of folk who would agree, including mt. bikers. It's a sad state in that there are alot of folk who want to dictate how we recreate. And in many ways they would love to implement blanket policies just banning any use besides hiking.

i would encourage people reading this stuff to read up and perhaps joining clubs like IMBA, BBTC, STM, and Blue Ribbon Coalition.
The bill is for 45 dBA....un believable. Moto enthusiests lobby for 96.5 or something down from 105 as the law sits currently.

Nothing but a smokescreen to outlaw bikes all together even from legal areas.:crazy:

Decibel (Loudness) Chart.. Re:SB5544

This chart shows just how RIDICULES!!!! if passed SB5544 is. A fine of up to $800.00 for producing a sound from an ORV that exceeds 45dBA!!

I hope everyone will join us in the fight against SB5544 at the OFF-ROAD RALLY IN OLYMPIA, WA on March 9, 2007.

FIGHT OR LOSS YOUR ORV RIGHTS!

As the chart below shows, a normal conversation @ ( 3-5' ) is 60-70db.

SB5544 is totally unrealistic.

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart
Here are some interesting numbers, collected from a variety of sources, that help one to understand the volume levels of various sources and how they can affect our hearing.

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500' 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower 107dB
Power saw 110dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Jet engine at 100' 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

OSHA Daily Permissible Noise Level Exposure
Hours per day Sound level
8 90dB
6 92dB
4 95dB
3 97dB
2 100dB
1.5 102dB
1 105dB
.5 110dB
.25 or less 115dB

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

Sound Levels of Music
Normal piano practice 60 -70dB
Fortissimo Singer, 3' 70dB
Chamber music, small auditorium 75 - 85dB
Piano Fortissimo 84 - 103dB
Violin 82 - 92dB
Cello 85 -111dB
Oboe 95-112dB
Flute 92 -103dB
Piccolo 90 -106dB
Clarinet 85 - 114dB
French horn 90 - 106dB
Trombone 85 - 114dB
Tympani & bass drum 106dB
Walkman on 5/10 94dB
Symphonic music peak 120 - 137dB
Amplifier rock, 4-6' 120dB
Rock music peak 150dB

NOTES:

One-third of the total power of a 75-piece orchestra comes from the bass drum.
High frequency sounds of 2-4,000 Hz are the most damaging. The uppermost octave of the piccolo is 2,048-4,096 Hz.
Aging causes gradual hearing loss, mostly in the high frequencies.
Speech reception is not seriously impaired until there is about 30 dB loss; by that time severe damage may have occurred.
Hypertension and various psychological difficulties can be related to noise exposure.
The incidence of hearing loss in classical musicians has been estimated at 4-43%, in rock musicians 13-30%.
Statistics for the Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart were taken from a study by Marshall Chasin , M.Sc., Aud(C), FAAA, Centre for Human Performance & Health, Ontario, Canada. There were some conflicting readings and, in many cases, authors did not specify at what distance the readings were taken or what the musician was actually playing. In general, when there were several readings, the higher one was chosen.

All contents © 1997-2005 by Galen Carol Audio San Antonio, Texas USA
and may not be copied or reproduced without permission. Website by Stylefish.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Some interesting average decible ratings:

Average Human Snoring=69 dB
Most telephones ringer=80 dB
Rustling leaves=20 dB
Conversation=60-70 dB
Dishwasher=80 dB
Inside of a library=40 dB
Nocturnal summer insects (crickets)=60 dB

45dB is quieter than the average human snoring. Should we tell the crickets to shut up too? And should carrying a cell phone into the woods be illegal? What bull crap.

Oh, and no talking in the woods......it's too loud.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
Its probly just a bill to find a way to ba ORV's without actually banning them

45 dB is impossible for a dirtbike

heck bikes are louder then that when they are clanking down the trail!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Essexs Porter said that Senator Adam Kline admitted to writing the email and it should air on KIRO on tonights news.

This information is from Thumpertalk.com from a member (Dirtcheapjohn) who was interviewed by Essexs today as the part of the Kline email story. So first hand? or is it second hand.....or is it third? :)

Kline told Essex. Who then told John. Who then posted it on a web site that I read. Now I am relaying the information to you.......

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
i would love for all of the people who are out there that race moto's and make a living by racing or make a living by wrenching for them. he said that they are not real atheletes. "There is nothing sporting--athletic, physically demanding--about riding any machine anywhere. And it's a damned annoyance to folks who see the outdoors" i would like to hear him say that to some of the people who are at a quad or mx race and see what they would say. they are some of the most in shape and physicaly fit people out there.

some one needs to pimp slap him

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
guy is a friggen tool...if this passes I am going to e-mail him every day from multiple accounts asking him how he enjoyed his walk in the woods