Quantcast

I am mechanically inept - need DirtyMike next door

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
An easy out is a bolt extractor. You drill a hole in the middle of the bolt, and thread the easy out into it. It runs counter-clockwise, and pulls the bolt out as if it had a head still.
Not all easy outs require drilling first, in fact My money says this one that was used for this job was an external type...... they work soooo much better when you have some of the bolt exposed... Drilling sucks

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not all easy outs require drilling first, in fact My money says this one that was used for this job was an external type...... they work soooo much better when you have some of the bolt exposed... Drilling sucks
I was using the simple explanation for dummy. I didn't want to blow his mind by telling him about both options.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow you got work done on a Friday and didn't have to pay, that wouldn't happen all that often, gotta love helpful people!

How you stripped a crank has got me effed though, if a crank bolt doesn't go in by hand there is something wrong, if you stripped a BB cup I understand that, been there.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Damnit, I blame Butch....... Just had a mechanical mishap of my own....... Threads on the boat motor just cdame out with the spark plug. Look like I am doing a time-sert tomorrow
I had a spark plug snap in half a few days ago while trying to remove it. "Luckily" I am in the middle of replacing the lifters so I needed to pull the heads anyway. Lots of PB and an extractor and I got it out. <phew>

Of course, I still have to put everything back together and hope it works. Say, where abouts do you work? I may need a pro if this doesn't work. (2001 Chrysler mini van. 3.8 V6)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I work up in Yucaipa, that's an easy motor to work on though.
I will not test that theory.

Update: After driving it 4 1/2 hours to Nashville, my guess is maybe he took it for a drive and realized we will be back soon for whatever is shaking in the front right. Strut, wheel bearing, other bits and pieces of pivoting math I won't dare to touch.

May update you guys when I get that bill. :D