Quantcast

I am planning on driving the length of I-70

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Next spring. Can any good monkeys help me find sublime singletrack within 1/2 an hour from the highway? Kind of "sneak attack, get off the highway, ride like the dickens for 3-6 hours, and jam on" sorta deals, preferably all singletrack. This could be a useful thread...

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
In the St. Louis area, check out STL Biking.com. I'd recommend Chubb, Castlewood, and Klondike. Individually, these would all be on the shorter end of your 3-6 hour plan. But you could catch a couple of them in an afternoon or morning.

And enjoy the 4 hours between Kansas City and STL...it's a joy!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The majority of I 70 really sucks. But theres some stuff in around Colorado that will be good. Especially Fruita. Moab is also less than a half hour off I 70

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I live in the rockies, so Fruita, Moab, etc are no-brainers. I am looking for shorter, (O.K, 1 1/2 hours is actually perfect too) lesser known stuff in the eastern portions, Kansas, Penn, Indiana, maybe some odd stuff west of the Wasatch in Utah. Basically, I am looking for the underground trails that are legal...Thanks a ton for the replies so far!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
mobius and I did mostly the same thing this summer....Chubb in St. Louis was cool. All that CO stuff I guess you know about, denver breck, keystone, etc. Monarch Crest is definitely not near 70 but still a kickASS ride, it'd be worth the ~2hr detour.

Check out Frederick MD (which is local to us) if you come out this far east. I-70 runs right thru it, and there is a sh*tload of very hardcore tech rocky riding there, within about 5-10 min. from the highway.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dood i did the 70 trip from pittsburgh to MOAB, lemme tell you from ohio on it sucks all the way to denver. The Rockys are like a gift from god when you see them, while in kansas make sure to have the shotgun ready because blowing your head off will seem like a verry viable idea. Anyway you will pass through the front range, summit county, then into the MOAB area, all have great riding...That is all i can help with...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I know some sections are going to be good for cruising. I am simply looking for little Jems...thanks for the Maryland tip, that is the kind of info I seek. Can you suggest any specific trails in particular, close to the highway? More specific the better! I am hoping this thread can remain as a resource for all of us, if you guys follow the idea..

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
If you do the stretch from baltimore to denver in 24 hours flat, I will give you 100 dollars. That's my record time and I am confident it can not be beaten. Thats total time, not driving time, BTW.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Columbia, Missouri has a few decent places within 30 minutes of I-70:
(1) Rock Bridge- 15 or so miles of smooth, fast trail; 15 or 20 minutes from I-70.
(2) Cosmo Park/ Rhett's Run - 4 or 5 miles of up-and-down, steep, physical trail; about a minute from the highway.
(3) Finger Lakes - 70 chaotic miles of moto trails, bikes are welcome but you will want a local to show you around or you will get lost here; 15 minutes from 70.
(4) University Dual Slalom course - small but decent slalom course; 5 minutes from 70.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
rideit said:
"The majority of I 70 really sucks."
I bet with enough info, I could look at the trip differently....
Nope. He's right. The *majority* of I-70 does suck. You should focus your search to the stuff west of Moab and east of Ohio (since you apparently know the Rockies stuff in between. The highway east of Denver sucks until you hit extreme eastern Ohio.

And good luck with info west of Moab - nobody lives out there. :p

-S.S.-

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
DßR said:
mobius and I did mostly the same thing this summer....Chubb in St. Louis was cool. All that CO stuff I guess you know about, denver breck, keystone, etc. Monarch Crest is definitely not near 70 but still a kickASS ride, it'd be worth the ~2hr detour.

Check out Frederick MD (which is local to us) if you come out this far east. I-70 runs right thru it, and there is a sh*tload of very hardcore tech rocky riding there, within about 5-10 min. from the highway.

what he said. but watch out for kansas. it sucks.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
rideit said:
I know some sections are going to be good for cruising. I am simply looking for little Jems...thanks for the Maryland tip, that is the kind of info I seek. Can you suggest any specific trails in particular, close to the highway? More specific the better! I am hoping this thread can remain as a resource for all of us, if you guys follow the idea..

In a nutshell -- check out Gambrill State Park, there are signs for it on 70. It's about 3/4 mile west of Frederick in the Catoctin "mountain range."

Once in the park, try the Yellow trail (~7mile loop, fun and techy, xc-bike allowed) or the Blue trail (~27mi out-and-back with tons of steeps, rocks, killer climbs, etc, freeride bikes are more fun).