Quantcast

i am pretty new to mountian bi

Jul 29, 2006
i am pretty new to mountian biking and i got a new bone stock 2007 raleigh mojave 4.0, but i have had it for some time. i was looking for some new parts for it cause i guess the ones i have on it arent gonna hold up to what i do. i am looking to buy new forks, bars, tires, and maybe some new disc brakes. i looked all around and i couldnt find a pair of 75mm forks, i am specifically looking for a pair of marzoochis, fox shocks, or manitous in the price range of 0$-$350. i couldnt find any maxxis tires that are 26x1.96 that are really good going down and up slippery hills either. if i get bars does it madder the size or length or does it just focus on the bend on the bars? and if i get new disc brakes i would probly get some avids or hayes, i dont know if i should get hydrolics or stick with the wire brakes.

can anybody give me some websites where i can get those parts?

thanks
-Jarrett

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i have a set of specialized team control tires for sale 26x2.00 in size and are nice and tacky. pm for price.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
That's a fine bike to learn on - don't feel like you need to upgrade every part on the bike. It's a 2007 - you say you've been riding it for some time. How early does Raleigh put out next year's models?

I would recommend riding it for a two to three years and determine what kind of riding you think you like and save up for a nicer bike instead of a boatload of upgrades.

If you do feel a burning desire to upgrade fine - but try to wait until parts wear out or break.

Jul 29, 2006
Del said:
That's a fine bike to learn on - don't feel like you need to upgrade every part on the bike. It's a 2007 - you say you've been riding it for some time. How early does Raleigh put out next year's models?

I would recommend riding it for a two to three years and determine what kind of riding you think you like and save up for a nicer bike instead of a boatload of upgrades.

If you do feel a burning desire to upgrade fine - but try to wait until parts wear out or break.

that was my other option because i did want to try down hill mountian biking but i didnt wanna buy $1300+ for my first mountain bike

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
butterfingers13 said:
that was my other option because i did want to try down hill mountian biking but i didnt wanna buy $1300+ for my first mountain bike
If you think you're seriously going to get into biking, just start saving money and ride what you have. That's a fine bike to learn on just as it is. Biking is an expensive sport for sure and you'll probably end up wanting to spend a lot more than $1300.00.

Buy mountain bike magazines, pay attention to the forums, talk to the people at your local bike shop and most importantly, ride as much as you can. And once you've outgrown the Raleigh who knows what kind of bikes will be around.

Jul 29, 2006
Del said:
If you think you're seriously going to get into biking, just start saving money and ride what you have. That's a fine bike to learn on just as it is. Biking is an expensive sport for sure and you'll probably end up wanting to spend a lot more than $1300.00.

Buy mountain bike magazines, pay attention to the forums, talk to the people at your local bike shop and most importantly, ride as much as you can. And once you've outgrown the Raleigh who knows what kind of bikes will be around.

oh im deffinatly gonna end up spending more then that if i was getting one i was just say i wouldnt wanna spend 1300 as my first bike meaning 1300 is the cheapest dh mountain bike i could find out there

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Keep on riding the raleigh and save money. Think about what type of bike you want to buy next. See if you can ride your friends' bikes too, to get a feel for what other bikes are like.

Jul 29, 2006
bjanga said:
Keep on riding the raleigh and save money. Think about what type of bike you want to buy next. See if you can ride your friends' bikes too, to get a feel for what other bikes are like.

yeah ill just save up money while riding the raleigh but the problem is no one i know has a downhill mountain bike or even a mountain bike thats not from wal-mart.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
butterfingers13 said:
yeah ill just save up money while riding the raleigh but the problem is no one i know has a downhill mountain bike or even a mountain bike thats not from wal-mart.
Try stopping into a local bike shop and joining some group rides. You'll get into the network and make some great friends. Also, if you're into trying out DHing, go to a mountain and try it. Most of the mountains offer rental bikes and even DH gear. Good luck and most importantly remember to have fun!!!