Quantcast

I ate some whale last night..

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Was OK, but I couldn't eat a whole one. Was cooked fried chicken style and was fairly bland, no strong taste.
And it was this kind of whale

Not this

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Where does one get whale? Do they just sell that at the grocery store? Just curious...I don't plan to try it :)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Where does one get whale? Do they just sell that at the grocery store? Just curious...I don't plan to try it :)
This was at a restaurant, was a set menu so I didn't order it, was just one of the dishes that arrived. You can buy it at the supermarket, but it's fairly hard to find, I haven't ever seen it at my local shop for example. In my experience the average Japanese never eats whale and wouldn't care if they ever did again.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Japan is saying they are hunting all of the whales in order to do research, not for commercial whaling.
it does taste normally good though and it is popular in Japan
I wouldn't say it's popular. I'd reckon if you asked a 100 Japanese if they'd eaten whale in the last month, 99 would say no.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
I wouldn't say it's popular. I'd reckon if you asked a 100 Japanese if they'd eaten whale in the last month, 99 would say no.
of course in the past month 99 would say no. Whale has been becoming harder and harder to get lately with all the sanctions on whale hunting. My father ate whale all the time while living there, as well as the rest of my family that lives there.
ask those same 100 people if theyve ever eaten whale and the majority of them would say yes..btw where in Japan are you?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's not hard to get, virtually all izakaiya (kind of pub/restaurant) have it on their menus. Mostly the reason people don't eat it is because it's expensive and not really that nice. Most people have eaten whale because it was served in school lunches for years until fairly recently. Most kids nowadays would never have eaten it.
My old girl in Australia told us they used to eat rabbits all the time when they were nippers, pretty much unheard of now. Same with whale I think.
I'm on Shikoku btw.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
It's not hard to get, virtually all izakaiya (kind of pub/restaurant) have it on their menus. Mostly the reason people don't eat it is because it's expensive and not really that nice. Most people have eaten whale because it was served in school lunches for years until fairly recently. Most kids nowadays would never have eaten it.
My old girl in Australia told us they used to eat rabbits all the time when they were nippers, pretty much unheard of now. Same with whale I think.
I'm on Shikoku btw.
alright, well i stand corrected about not being easy to get anymore.:imstupid:
why are you on Shikoku? are you Japanese or there for work?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
alright, well i stand corrected about not being easy to get anymore.:imstupid:
why are you on Shikoku? are you Japanese or there for work?
I've been asking my students about this over the last few days so I kind of ahead of the game here.
As for me, married, kids, house, permanent resident...the only way I'll be leaving here is in a pine-box.:disgust:;)