Quantcast

I be peeved

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
[rant]

So I'm reading my new issue of Mountain Bike Action, and I see that they're having some sort of readers' poll to select one of five different photos of guys catching big air. The usual riders are in the pictures: John Cowan, Cameron McCaul, Timo Pritzel, etc.

But wait!

That ain't Timo Pritzel. It's clearly a picture of Paul Basagoitia doing a backflip at the Sea Otter jump contest. You can even tell that he's riding Cameron Zink's Santa Cruz Chameleon. Anybody who knows anything about Timo Pritzel will know that he rides for Scott USA, not Santa Cruz.

This is a blatant error by MBA, and stuff like this is very unprofessional and damages the magazine's already-borderline image. It also straight-up pisses me off.

[/rant]

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If a magazine can actually upset you, Id say you probably need to lighten up a bit. It's ink on paper.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I disagree. It's a huge mistake that needs to be fixed. Normally I wouldn't react this strongly, but MBA is already kinda crappy, and this seems to reinforce the crappiness. Also, Paul Basagoitia is a BMXer who was riding a borrowed bike, and was throwing backflips with no problems. It bothers me because instead of giving a new guy the recognition he deserves, they assumed it was somebody else who is already an established pro in the MTB world.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Its still just some paper that's stapled together with ink on it. No reason to actually get "mad" over it. Surely if you inform them of the mistake, they'll run a note next month that says "sorry it was actually this dude" I mean, why get angry? Nobody died. Its words in a magazine.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
dexterq20 said:
I disagree. It's a huge mistake that needs to be fixed. Normally I wouldn't react this strongly, but MBA is already kinda crappy, and this seems to reinforce the crappiness. Also, Paul Basagoitia is a BMXer who was riding a borrowed bike, and was throwing backflips with no problems. It bothers me because instead of giving a new guy the recognition he deserves, they assumed it was somebody else who is already an established pro in the MTB world.

Whats the new guy getting recognition gonna do? MTB'ing has seen it's hayday...meaning, it used to be a LOT bigger of deal and people were actually getting paid a pretty fat salary to ride a companies bike...now the racers pretty much just ride for schwag, race fees, etc...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
dh girlie said:
Whats the new guy getting recognition gonna do? MTB'ing has seen it's hayday...meaning, it used to be a LOT bigger of deal and people were actually getting paid a pretty fat salary to ride a companies bike...now the racers pretty much just ride for schwag, race fees, etc...
Huh? It's not like he's gonna get a huge paycheck in the mail for getting his name printed in a magazine. It's the fact that he's a relative unknown in the MTB world, and to get a picture in a magazine is a pretty big deal. I think it's very unfortunate that they didn't give him credit for what is obviously a photo of him. I have no clue as to how racers and schwag and mountain biking's "hayday" (it's spelled "heyday") came into the equation. :confused:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
*swoosh* stosh runs out to get beer helmet and lawn chair to watch fight *swoosh*

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
dexterq20 said:
Huh? It's not like he's gonna get a huge paycheck in the mail for getting his name printed in a magazine. It's the fact that he's a relative unknown in the MTB world, and to get a picture in a magazine is a pretty big deal. I think it's very unfortunate that they didn't give him credit for what is obviously a photo of him. I have no clue as to how racers and schwag and mountain biking's "hayday" (it's spelled "heyday") came into the equation. :confused:

Thank you for the spelling lesson...be sure to correct some of your misused punctuation while you're at it...

I'm just saying...what's to get so upset about...like BS (initials for Burly Surly) said, they'll print a retraction...I mean it's great and all to get your picture in a magazine, but it's not like he's going to get anything out of it, so whats the big whoop? He and a gazillion (yes I am aware there is no such thing as 'gazillion' but I'm throwing it in to stress the magnitude of my statement) other no names that ride like bad asses (slang for one who excels greatly in their sport, etc.) who will never get their pic (meaning 'picture') in a magazine. It indeed sucks (meaning it's such a shame) that this guy (meaning that fellow who excels in dirt jumping on a mountain bike) is not getting due recognition, but if he's that much of a badass (see prior description of bad ass so I don't have to clarify it here) he'll be in more magazines, maybe even a video...

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Awww man...I thought it was kinda funny...oh well...
It was, but we all know I am just kissing your ass so you'll leave me alone.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I say it's your fault for even bothering to read a mt bike magazine............ sheesh :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

Ah - truer words were never spoken.

BigHitExpert

Chimp
Jul 6, 2004
NORTH SHORE
i'm sure they will fix it next issue... i watched Paul THROW IT DOWN @ Crankworx in Whistler. That guy is amazing. Timo thought he could take the comp by gapping the box and then the platform.... unfortunately things didn't work out... Paul got 1st place and Timo got 2nd place and a trip to the hospital and several months rehab. Both riders RIP! I had a chance to meet and ride with Cam McCaul the following weekend. That kid has such a great attitude and will be an excellent ambassador to the sport :)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hey it's important... After all, the reason we ride is recognition. :rolleyes:

Stosh, mind if I pull up a chair, and my beer helmet and watch the blows fly?