Quantcast

I beg you... watch the road rage

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
This is less about asking y'all to not get upset since I'm sure y'all dont and more about me just venting...

Yesterday, I was driving home from work on a very busy road. I turned my signal on to change lanes -- I'm fanatical about it and check every few days to make sure my signals work.

I put it on just as a car was entering my blind spot to pull in behind him. Well, the phucking idiot behind him sped up to close the gap. Big pet peeve of mine. I had already started to move and said idiot was still far enough away that I wasn't concerned about him hitting me.

His speed increased until he nearly hit me, then he pulled into the very long turn lane to yell at me. I probably shot him the finger or something, I forget, but I wasn't really interested in his tirade (I was in too good of a mood), so I keep my eyes forward and wound up seeing a mini-van at a dead stop in the turn lane ahead.

Time stopped. One of those wierd things. I visualized a family of four in the van getting smacked from behind at 50mph and all of them dying. Strange how that one second turned into a long time.

I leaned on the horn, looked at the guy, and pointed ahead. He jammed on his brakes and swerved into on-coming traffic.

G-d smiled.

This busy road should've had traffic coming from the other way, but didn't. (Parker Road heading to I-225 for locals.)

Nothing bad happened.

I'm fine with a road-rager trying to run me off the road while I'm in my Jeep. I just don't care. But this is the first time I've ever been involved with a near fatal situation of completely innocent bystanders.

Made me sad.

I know my driving action was completely responsible and legal, but if I did flip him off, then I was at least somewhat responsible for the situation that almost happened.

Anyway, please don't get too upset out there and thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
some dumb broad nearly ran a red light while talking on her cell phone the other day. had my quick reflexes not stopped my car she would have fully t-boned us, hitting my wife who was in the passanger seat.

we both flipped her the bird, with vengence and she flipped us off back. how nice.

she was turning onto the street we were on so I drove about 5 miles an hour for a block or two. it was a hill and at the bottom I needed to turn left into a parking lot but I didn't turn my signal on, I just waited...

she turned her signal on to make the left and then I turned mine on. she then drove around me and continued on down the road.

i'm usually very mellow driver. don't speed, stay in the right lane so those that want to go faster can. let other drivers in, most of the time...

but I absolutly hate fvckwipes that can't drive and talk. if you can't pay attention then pull over or hang up.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You never ever signal your intentions here in La... anyone seeing it will NOT let you merge/change lanes/ pass etc...

Instead you just start drifing over into the lane you want and there's no problem.

I hate driving here.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yeow! Good to hear everything is ok...

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. I pulled onto the freeway and this guy in another jeep (kinda like mine) pulled up next to me...Apparently he didn't like the fact that there were 15 cars infront of me on the on-ramp and that I was going so slow behind them...

Anyway, my lane was doing 60, so was his...so he gets up next to me and starts going apocolyptic on me...of course, not looking where he's going...well, all I saw when I looked over for the last time was airbag and flying glass as he rearended a suburban at about 40 miles an hour (suburban was going about 20...)...heh....sux...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i wish talking on cell phones while driving was illegal. i don't usually get pissed when people do stupid crap while driving...i've come to expect it in Austin. but if he/she is on a cell phone, i get pissed, 'cause i assume they wouldn't have ****ed up had the phone been out of the picture. probably the wrong assumption to make.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
the Inbred said:
i wish talking on cell phones while driving was illegal. i don't usually get pissed when people do stupid crap while driving...i've come to expect it in Austin. but if he/she is on a cell phone, i get pissed, 'cause i assume they wouldn't have ****ed up had the phone been out of the picture. probably the wrong assumption to make.

some of the stupidest stuff I see by drivers usually involves the driver holding a cell phone....

I make sure to honk and give them the finger everytime.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
LordOpie said:
but if I did flip him off, then I was at least somewhat responsible for the situation that almost happened.
Bull**** - why would you be partially responsible? That's like saying if you flipped him off and then he pulled out a gun and shot you then you would be partially responsible. Or maybe we should use the short skirt/rapist analogy...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow this is like the Jeep owners road rage story thread!

Just the other day I was driving my cherokee to work and had an incident with some clown who was unhappy about the fact that two lanes merge just as you get on the bay bridge, it's usually damn slow but it's also obvious who's turn it is to go. Well this guy tried to go out of turn and I didn't let him in. Then the person behind him didn't let him in, which was wrong, and it really made this guy freak out. So next thing I know he's following like two inches from my bumper, flipping me the bird, flashing his lights and blowing his horn. I basically waved in a friendly way and laughed - kill 'em with kindness. So he finally comes around on my side and tries to give me the evil eye or whatever. I give him the universal signal for having a little dick - you know, index finger about 1/4 inch from my thumb - still laughing the whole time. Dude actually swings over into my lane like he is gonna ram me!! It was hilarious, I'm in a Cherokee and he was in a civic and he's gonna ram me. I held my line, still laughing. Guy speeds up and takes off.

Two seconds later, lights flash and a moto cop comes flying by. Ten seconds later I see the dude getting pulled over! YESSSS!!!!:p :p

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
OGRipper said:
Wow this is like the Jeep owners road rage story thread!

Just the other day I was driving my cherokee to work and had an incident with some clown who was unhappy about the fact that two lanes merge just as you get on the bay bridge, it's usually damn slow but it's also obvious who's turn it is to go. Well this guy tried to go out of turn and I didn't let him in. Then the person behind him didn't let him in, which was wrong, and it really made this guy freak out. So next thing I know he's following like two inches from my bumper, flipping me the bird, flashing his lights and blowing his horn. I basically waved in a friendly way and laughed - kill 'em with kindness. So he finally comes around on my side and tries to give me the evil eye or whatever. I give him the universal signal for having a little dick - you know, index finger about 1/4 inch from my thumb - still laughing the whole time. Dude actually swings over into my lane like he is gonna ram me!! It was hilarious, I'm in a Cherokee and he was in a civic and he's gonna ram me. I held my line, still laughing. Guy speeds up and takes off.

Two seconds later, lights flash and a moto cop comes flying by. Ten seconds later I see the dude getting pulled over! YESSSS!!!!:p :p
AHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! I luv that....happens wayyyy to little around here... :mumble: But it's nice to know that it happens elsewhere!!:dancing:

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
N8 said:
You never ever signal your intentions here in La... anyone seeing it will NOT let you merge/change lanes/ pass etc...

Instead you just start drifing over into the lane you want and there's no problem.

I hate driving here.
its like that here too...signal to get over and for damn sure the cockpunch will speed up.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
What do ya know, Opie and I agree again.

People who observe that I'm looking to change lanes, then speed up to try and block me, get cut off. Deal.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
People are stupid.

Today at lunch I had a doctors appointment to go to. Driving along, I turned left onto a street and just about rear end some old fart who had stopped his car in the middle of the street and was talking to somebody in an SUV on the other side of the street, also stopped. Since I almost rear-ended this guy, I lay on my horn until he moves and pulls over to the side. As I pass him, he leans out his window and starts yelling at me. WTF? I guess I didn't know this was his private street to stop when ever and where ever he wanted. :rolleyes:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
LordOpie said:
I put it on just as a car was entering my blind spot to pull in behind him. Well, the phucking idiot behind him sped up to close the gap. Big pet peeve of mine. I had already started to move and said idiot was still far enough away that I wasn't concerned about him hitting me.

I feel you man.

I've traveled to just about all the major cities in the country. I've found that each city has its behavior, and with Denver being a melting pot, I call out where they're from....

The whole 'left lane & closing the gap' started in California. They believe that they have a right to be in that lane, and if you pull in front of them, you are burdening their liberties. One of my California friends put it: Never make it look like you're doing a lane change. Never solicit (use your turn signal). That's a sure sign you'll be crowded out. Simply jump in.

Boston: I've observed that turn signals just don't exist. They're also very skeptical of black lincolns with NY plates. Don't want to abuse 'the family'

Phoenix: Completely unpredictable. Usualy you can predict how traffic will move or behave in Denver. Phoenix? Its random, and all of them have blue hair and can't see most of the road anyway.

Seattle: Parking lot. Who drives?

Portland: Slow.... I can't believe that people actually go 5 below the speed limit. what's worse, there is no passing lane. You'll never be able to pass.

Wichita: Don't mess with the hicks or people wearing cowboy hats. They'll kick yer ahhsss.

Chicago: Take a cab.... or limo, they're sometime cheaper.

The Bay area: The lane you're in is always the slowest one. move to the other.... and don't mind the HOV thing, it doesn't really count.

Atlanta: FAST AND FURIOUS! you can go 30mph over the speed limit and cop will pass you and wave.

Boulder: No matter how hard you try, you'll always be at a stop light.

Bangalore, India: no lanes, no rules, cut-off city, and no one cares. They just drive. There was a round about there, but you went the shortest distance regardless of the rotation.

pixelninja said:
People are stupid.

Today at lunch I had a doctors appointment to go to. Driving along, I turned left onto a street and just about rear end some old fart who had stopped his car in the middle of the street and was talking to somebody in an SUV on the other side of the street, also stopped. Since I almost rear-ended this guy, I lay on my horn until he moves and pulls over to the side. As I pass him, he leans out his window and starts yelling at me. WTF? I guess I didn't know this was his private street to stop when ever and where ever he wanted. :rolleyes:
Let me see if I can paraphrase that:

"Since I was not in proper control of my vehicle, I almost ran into someone. Not afraid to be an ass twice, I leaned on the horn."

You need either to start driving well or to lose your license. :nope:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
johnbryanpeters said:

"Since I was not in proper control of my vehicle, I almost ran into someone. Not afraid to be an ass twice, I leaned on the horn."

And just how do you know the environment of those streets?

Perhaps there was a blind corner that even at 20mph created this situation? He obviously stopped safely in time to not hit the guy, yeah?

Way to make an assumption.

LordOpie said:
And just how do you know the environment of those streets?

Perhaps there was a blind corner that even at 20mph created this situation? He obviously stopped safely in time to not hit the guy, yeah?

Way to make an assumption.
I really do not care what "the environment of those streets" was. We are all responsible for being in control of our vehicles at all times. If twenty mph is too fast, try ten.

You started the post to ask that people restrain their road rage, so how is it that you defend it? Make up your mind.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
kinghami3 said:
I do :( And when there's no traffic, everyone drives 10+ over the speed limit.

True that.
Sounds normal for the most part. I've had good experiences with seattle drivers. However, going from S Seattle to N Seattle or vice versa seems horrible (traffic).

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
johnbryanpeters said:
I really do not care what "the environment of those streets" was. We are all responsible for being in control of our vehicles at all times. If twenty mph is too fast, try ten.
He was in control. Hence the fact there was no accident.

I would be somewhat annoyed also if someone was blocking a road.

.:Jeenyus:. said:
He was in control. Hence the fact there was no accident.

I would be somewhat annoyed also if someone was blocking a road.
I often get annoyed while driving. Leaning on the horn because someone is stopped asking directions or whatever is inappropriate. So is gestural agression such as flipping the bird.

A good general idea is to avoid actions that get others more wound up.

J

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
JBP is just looking for a fight... how ironic for a moderator to call someone an ass?
How ironic is it that Lor Dopey is always the one in the sh!t with a mod? But of course it's everyone else's fault.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
On the way to a ride i witnessed a truck driver with trailer force a car into the carpool lane. If the car had not swerved at the last second i or if there had been someone next to the car in the carpool lane i would have definately witnessed a fatal accident.

Overall Opie's point hold true, it's just not worth it. There is so much to lose, and not really anything to gain choosing to lose your composure on the road.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Skookum said:
Overall Opie's point hold true, it's just not worth it. There is so much to lose, and not really anything to gain choosing to lose your composure on the road.

That's LOSER TALK! It's all about WINNING in traffic!!

I NEVER use my indicators. You totally lose the element of surprise.

"Rubbin's racin'"

- Average Montreal driver

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
johnbryanpeters said:
You can't control what others do.
You can control what you do.
Don't make a bad situation worse, lead by example.
You mean like this:

johnbryanpeters said:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Road rage is pretty common here in the Los Angeles area. It can be really stressful driving on LA roads and highways. However, I must warn everyone, you never really know what's going on inside someone's head.

Someone I work with was running late for work, and cut a left-hand turn really quick. Apparently, his left turn cut someone off--on accident. Nevertheless, when he pulled into the work parking lot, the guy he cut off followed him in. As soon as he got out of the car, this guy walked up to him life a knife and attemped to slash him. This poor guy was slashed across the face. When the nut realized there was a ton of people around, he smiled at the people in the parking lot and slowly walked back to his car and left. This was a completley unprovoked attack.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
johnbryanpeters said:

Nice troll job! Well done! Almost had me there...

:thumb: