Quantcast

I blame HAB.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No, I didn't buy anything, but wow. So I was driving by the Chevy dealer and they had this very nice Grand Sport parked outside in the sunshine. I pulled in to get a closer look.

The sales gal was brand new and says "I've never even been inside one, let me grab the keys..." She comes back confused. "There is no key on this ring." I take the fob from her (it's proximity) open the door, and get in. Push the button and VROOM.

It had the paddle shifters with the manumatic. She says "Let me pull it out and we can go". I had no intention of driving it, I really didn't. But we go for a quick out and back and I am loving the paddles! It's pull for down, thumb push for up. I never used the left paddle since the right felt good. The 2 hands driving position is a little odd, but I can see how it would be nice in the twisties.

I pull back in and I am drooling over it. Jim, the sales manager comes out and says "How'd it feel?" Well, you know, it was ok and stuff. He says "I've got something in the back of the shop you might appreciate".

He says "It's sold, but it sure is nice". 2009 ZR1 with 15k for $80k. The sticker on the GS was $72k, for the extra $8k, I would say the supercharger is a nice upgrade. He goes to grab the keys and comes back. "The guy backed out at the last minute, it's still available. You want to take it out back and see what it feels like?"

The dealership had a back empty lot. I turned the traction control off and scared the sh!t out of the poor sales lady. Wow, just wow. You start to press on the gas and you think "wow, this has a lot of power" and as you continue to press, the power increases and you suddenly realize you are moving at an unnaturally high rate of speed and you have half a peddle to go still. It seems endless. By the time your foot is anywhere close to the floor, you are either grabbing another gear, or spinning wildly out of control because you have the traction control off. :rofl:

There was a gal with a salesman in a mini van. Not sure what they were doing, but they stopped and waited for me to leave before they drove again.

Bottom line, the ZR1 is truly ridiculous. 635 supercharger horsepower is insane. If you have the means and nothing better to do, I would recommend picking one up. It is a true supercar. Wow.

<edit> The yellow is so nice. I should have gotten outside pics. I took that one before I knew he was going to move all the cars to pul it out.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seriously, the ZR1 is so bad ass. I talked to a guy with one at the Corvette Rally a few weeks back and he said that the supercharger felt bottomless. Now I know what he was talking about.

I wouldn't buy one unless I was out of other toys to buy. But I would agree with Road and Track that it is a bargin compared to an exotic with every bit as much power and performance. It's also a lot cheaper to maintain than an exotic, too. :rofl:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/chevrolet-corvette-zr1-vs-ferrari-458-italia-vs-mclaren-mp4-12c

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can't even imagine having enough money to justify buying an $80k car.
Me either, but they never even asked what I did for a living. I was in ratty cargo shorts and a tshirt. But I pulled up in mine and people think it's expensive. :rofl:

But it would be easier for me to justify $80k than $300k for a Ferrari. :panic:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You test drove two Corvettes on a whim? I salute you.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Again, I had NO intention of driving the GS and the ZR1 was hidden in the back of the shop. I went in just to see what the paddles were like since the only other car I've sat in with paddles was the Honda Fit. :rofl: Sporty, yes. Sports car, no.

The ZR1 was parked in, too. Jim was determined to have me take it out back "and have a little fun, but not too much fun". The Low Fuel light was on, I was waiting for it to die while doing donuts.

Toshi, go drive one. Seriously, that car is amazing. You are an MD now, you deserve it. :D

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Dang. It's hard enough getting an extra lap in on the go cart track let alone " here, take these two vet's and go crazy for a few minutes."

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I pulled up in my $4k POS and they handed me 2 fobs without me asking for either. Again, not once did they say "How do you intend on paying for this?" or "So what is it you do for a living?"

They did ask "Will you be trading your car in?" To which it replied "No, no I won't be. It will likely go to my daughter once I get myself something else".

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They do have my number, I can't wait for the call "So did you decided what one you are going to get?"...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I enjoy casually driving cars on the lot just to see what all the fuss is about. I've been meaning to check out a Camaro SS. Vettes are fun, I just don't know if I'd spend 80K on one.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you are going to drive the Camaro, at least drive the LZ1 (560hp). :D

<edit>The SS they had on the floor was $55k. :disgust1:

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i saw a green 2013 viper in winston salem on saturday with colorado tags....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just got a text from the sales lady.

"We pulled it outside for you. Are you going to pick it up today?"

Wow....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I should go and drive it on the street. Tell them "Let me take it for a quick trip, I'll fill it up before I bring it back. I want to see what it's like with the carbon roof off."

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's a bargain. Do it. Do it now. :D

To be honest I've never been very interested in Vettes but I do get the appeal. That said, you can get a 997 Turbo for that kind of money, which would be more up my alley.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I blame the guy with the undersized junk that felt the need to design such a penis extension of a car.......

Seriously, what kind of a tool has a need to buy a car that<given is a nice car> costs eighty effin grand????? Buy a damn house instead and a reasonable car

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I had a 440 HP M5 back in 2000-2001. that was insane enough for me. Some road boulder pulled into the left lane on I5 doing all of 60 so I swung right and went to pass, he speed up and my wife said are you going to take that?. Dropped into 5th and punched it. Crap we got pushed back into the seats, shifted back to 6th at 100 and kept going until 140....the boulder was just a little dot in the mirror. At 140 the M5 felt like my Volvo at 65....Sold it before I lost my lic. used the proceeds as a down payment on a house

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
test drive an amg, hopefully the older supercharged 55 series.
all the muscle car brutality, within an interior that feels strangely out of place. like meeting a ufc fighter with a penchant for baroque music.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I blame the guy with the undersized junk that felt the need to design such a penis extension of a car.......

Seriously, what kind of a tool has a need to buy a car that<given is a nice car> costs eighty effin grand????? Buy a damn house instead and a reasonable car
somebody who already owns several houses worth several times 80g each????

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
maintenance would be a bitch.
:stupid:

I've done some work on my buddies C6 and his CTS-V, the LS platform is easy to work on and the parts are mostly available anywhere.

Try walking into Pep Boys and ask them for a part for the 997. :panic:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:stupid:

I've done some work on my buddies C6 and his CTS-V, the LS platform is easy to work on and the parts are mostly available anywhere.

Try walking into Pep Boys and ask them for a part for the 997. :panic:
:rofl:

Yeah that wouldn't go well.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Find me a house (or a reasonable car for that matter) that goes 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and I will.

It's built in America, F@CK YEAH!!!

If you are spending that kind of money WITHOUT at least a few houses and 3 lives worth in savings, then good luck.

There are a lot of useless things I would buy long before I spend that kind of coin on a vehicle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Find me a house (or a reasonable car for that matter) that goes 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and I will.

If you are spending that kind of money WITHOUT at least a few houses and 3 lives worth in savings, then good luck.

There are a lot of useless things I would buy long before I spend that kind of coin on a vehicle.
I'm guessing you're not counting an Atom as reasonable? :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Mustang Cobra svt....... Half the price...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think a 996 or 997 turbo will be my next toy as far as 'bang for the buck' goes. Atoms are freakin sweet. I'd love to have one, but they are damn near impossible to find legal in CA....just like every other damn thing that is fun.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mustang...
:twitch:

I don't care what they call it. A turd is a turd.

Mustangs are AWESOME.

<edit> The Atom is awesome, but not practical in Oregon. A roof needs to be at least an option, otherwise I will take the motorcycle.

My car is almost as fun on the back roads as my motorcycle. It brings me great joy and is affordable considering it cost less than my motorcycle.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They do have my number, I can't wait for the call "So did you decided what one you are going to get?"...
After I test drove a 370Z last year, and after I didn't test drive any BMWs because they're a bunch of assholes (the dealers&#8230; at least) :D I got daily voicemails from each outfit for about a month.