Quantcast

I bonked

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Took my roadie out for it's maiden voyage tonight. Didn't think I was going to ride tonight, so I wasn't really ready for it... but the minute I threw my leg over the bike I felt good. Got a late start (7pm), so I pushed it pretty hard to get in some solid miles before dark (hey, what do you know... a summer edition of the TAOD Rides).

So between not eating well today, going too hard to early, and not being used to the roadie gearing, I bonked about an hour in. Fortunately, I made it most of the way through the ride. By the end, I couldn't spin more than 100' on even the slightest uphill grade. :dead:

I haven't moved my cycloputer to the new bike yet, so these are just estimate, but...

Total Ride Time: 57 minutes
Total Walk Time: 13 minutes

Total Ride Distance: 8.5 miles
Total Walk Distance: .75 miles

Number of Climbs: 1 rode (approx 500', .5miles), 2 walked (approx 750', .75miles)

Walking your road bike (for non-mechanical reasons) is incredibly humbling.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Good for you!! Take a day or two off and then hit it again! Although, next time you might want to eat a bit before you go out and give Jamis a good hard ride. ;)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Smelly said:
you should've let the air out of a tire so you appeared to have an excuse for walking.

I did that on a XC ride once. There was no way i was going to make it up that mountain. :dead: And be beaten silly by 40+ year old men. :rolleyes:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Morryjg said:
Good for you!! Take a day or two off and then hit it again! Although, next time you might want to eat a bit before you go out and give Jamis a good hard ride. ;)
Yep - I'll take at least 2 days off, possibly 3 depending on my wife's schedule. Next ride will hopefully be either Friday after work or Saturday. Weather is supposed to be crappy all week, so it'll definitely be a road ride.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
splat said:
Hold it!! Don't you have a triple on that ? and you still walked ?

I think you need to carry some Gu with you.
yep and yep. Like I said... I was really prepared for a ride, but I couldn't pass up the chance to get some miles on the new rig.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
OWNED. eh its ok we've all had those days. You're making me jealous of you and that quest. I had my eye on one of those for a long time when i worked at *cough* performance *cough*

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
If you set a slower pace you can ride for hours and hours on road bikes. Learning your cadence will enhance your cardio and you can really cross-train to stay on the trail for them rides that last longer than 5 hours with elevation. Blowing your wad like you did can actually help for strength and pace. When you do a spin class that's essentially what you're shooting for(sprinting,climbing), along with proper spin technique (even pedalling, upstroke with downstroke).
To me a road bike is a tool, and since i've been doing spin classes every once in a while, and i've just been riding the trails which i really like way better(no "real" technical aspects in road riding), my road bike is again collecting alot of dust.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
...I bonked about an hour in.
Can that happen?

Isn't bonking when you've done a pretty good job of exhausting the glycogen?

Like Skookie said, pace yourself and ride all day.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
LordOpie said:
Can that happen?

Yah well i didn't wanna get into that, but let's just say when you put your bike down and "crawl" off the trail you know you've truly experienced "the bonk".

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You were able to crawl?

Damn, I just sat there shivering and shaking trying to not puke.

Crawling would've been like being between a fine lady's legs, like heaven I tell you. We didn't even crawl back in my day. Wasn't even invented yet.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Hehe, I got owned like that once. When I used to live on Oahu, I tried to bike to the North Shore from Kaneohe like the first week I moved there. I about died 1/2 way there so I took the bus the rest of the way and back.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
Can that happen? Isn't bonking when you've done a pretty good job of exhausting the glycogen?
and
Skookum said:
Yah well i didn't wanna get into that
er, I didn't realize there was a scientific definition as to what bonking was. Apparently (since I still had control over most of my bodily functions), I didn't bonk, but rather just ran out of gas. I'm just a wuss.

you roadies are so damn critical... god forbid you ever just ride for fun. :blah: :rolleyes: ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
Can that happen?

You can easily bonk after an hour if you start off without your muscles fueled up. I can't remember the exact numbers but the average persons muscles hold less than an hours worth of fuel for very hard efforts. Your blood contains even less sugar to keep you going. If you are not primed before a ride nor eat during it you won't last long unless you keep the pace low and just feed off of fat reserves.

You know when you have truly bonked when you get stupid. Muscles can get energy from several different sources like, fat and protein, but your brain is fed purely by blood sugar. When your blood sugar drops your brain has problems functioning and things like talking become difficult.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Skookum said:
If you set a slower pace you can ride for hours and hours on road bikes. Learning your cadence will enhance your cardio and you can really cross-train to stay on the trail for them rides that last longer than 5 hours with elevation. Blowing your wad like you did can actually help for strength and pace. When you do a spin class that's essentially what you're shooting for(sprinting,climbing), along with proper spin technique (even pedalling, upstroke with downstroke).

Word. Just take your time and explore.

Walk? :nope: