Quantcast

I bought a HUUUUGE Monitor!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just picked up a Dell 24" Widescreen Monitor!!!!!!

I was looking at the apple's forever but i couldnt justify paying double the price for an item that had less features...

Sorry for the worthless post, im just real stoked about it!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Dell and Apple's actually use the same LCD display...you will be super happy with the dell. I went gateway just for all of the HDTV inputs for about the same price as the dell.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
stinkyboy said:
That sir, is a MINIMAL dock...

Don't get hummus on your keyboard!
i'm all about the cleanliness on the computer (if not in my actual room) :D . current # of messages in my Inbox: 6, and 4 of them are flight itineraries, and one is a test registration email. everything else gets replied to immediately or filed away and ignored.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
i'm all about the cleanliness on the computer (if not in my actual room) :D . current # of messages in my Inbox: 6, and 4 of them are flight itineraries, and one is a test registration email. everything else gets replied to immediately or filed away and ignored.
I wish I had your self discipline, and motivation, Toshi. Seriously.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
awh, thanks. :D heh. some OCD traits can be useful as long as they don't gain a life of their own...

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I just bought a 19" proview wide screen. It's okay. Much better than the 10 year old 19" CRT it replaced. Sweetness and jealously for you guys with bigger LCDs than me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
i've got over 13,000 emails in my main work inbox folder.

between this and the # of genres of my music, i am the anti-Toshi. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Changleen said:
I have two at work, I'm sitting in front of them right now. My desktop resolution: 3840 * 1200 :D :D
:eek:

I run dual 17" at home, and a single 19" dell at work. I would love to move up to dual 19's at home.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks everyone for the kind words, i have been wanting a monitor like this for 2 years and it feels good to pull the trigger.

Transcend, i heard that they use the lcd and as much as I like apple i couldnt spend more for something with less usb ports...

Toshi nice set up, im all about the clean minimalist set up as well...

Ok i just got back from a ride in 92 degree heat im dead, i hope this thing gets here soon!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Trainwreck said:
I just looked that up, that's a seriously good price (but not quite enough to fly under the radar :mad: ).
yeah i got hooked up on mine real good, brand new w/ full warranty in my name...ebay is the spot for these things...they are a dime a dozen...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
$600+shipping is too steep a price for me to upgrade...my TV is going on 10 years and will probably die soon, and there's always bike and camera gear to lust after...

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
i have a dell 23" LCD tv as my second monitor, but I dont use it too much since I dont play many games on my computer, I just use the screen on my laptop. I find my TV better suited for some of this (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter on Xbox 360, for the record):

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
stinkyboy said:

HUMMUS? That ain't no hummus.

Looks more like red and yellow Wispride Port Wine Cheese to me next to that pita bread! Which pisses me off cus now you got me hungry and I gotta go upstairs and get something to eat now. Thanks! :mumble:

I have a ViewSonic top of the line VP2001s, the s stands for swivel, as in portrait. Mine is meant for computer graphics. It's an HD LCD 21 inch analog/digital 1600x1200. Retailed for $749. I got mine shipped for $349. Not sure how the Dell compares. In my kitchen I got a 17 inch Phillips HD LCDTV with wall mount for $160 plus $14 ship too. Best Buy wants $600! HA! I'd say where I get all my stuff but I don't want to get tossed for endorsing the place.

BUT what I can see is that man is VERY intelligent just by his screen. As anyone can tell, that's OSX he's got running on that desktop and that makes him a MAC user! YAAAAAY MAC USERS!!! He MUST have a high IQ.

G5 I take it by the white keyboard. And that's Panther or Tiger. My guess is Panther. YES?

But the ultimate Mac setup is a new G5 Loaded, with pro tools and a 42 inch plasma monitor display. Aaaaaaawe yeh.... I think you can get a 42 for about $1400. Then again I haven't checked that site in a while for pricing...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
no, no.

a) that IS hummus. orange due to roasted red peppers.

b) it's a Mac mini Core Duo, white apple BT keyboard (which is teh suck).

c) tiger all the way.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
just out of curiosity... why go with a 24? They are a small fortune... run dual 20s for half the cost and have more desktop space.

Or do you need a single, "uninterrupted" display for some reason?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jacksonpt said:
just out of curiosity... why go with a 24? They are a small fortune... run dual 20s for half the cost and have more desktop space.

Well, I agree with you, but there are reasons to need a single, unified display.

If you play games, you can't use both displays.

If you don't have a ton of desk space, you can't run two 20-inchers.

If you're using the screen for any kind of editing (CAD, photos, etc), a bigger unified display is better, since you don't want the item you're editing to be broken up across screens.

...but yeah, I would get another 19" to match my current one before I'd sell this and buy a 24" screen.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jacksonpt said:

Honestly i hate working with 2 monitors, and i wanted the large realestate for editing photos, not a fan of the dual set ups at all...The 24" is big and clean...Relatively cheap too! :thumb: ... Where is the damn ups guy!

Ill post pics of the work space when i get it up and running...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Jesus. Archive much? And I thought my 2,000 were a lot (I archive anything older than two months).
i hate archiving. i've got a ton of project-related emails that i go back and mine on a fairly regular basis, and i just use the search function for that.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
Well, I agree with you, but there are reasons to need a single, unified display.

If you play games, you can't use both displays.

If you don't have a ton of desk space, you can't run two 20-inchers.

If you're using the screen for any kind of editing (CAD, photos, etc), a bigger unified display is better, since you don't want the item you're editing to be broken up across screens.

...but yeah, I would get another 19" to match my current one before I'd sell this and buy a 24" screen.
Yea, I understand the need for a single display (I do enough graphics work see that need from time to time), but for 90% of the people out there, dual monitors are sufficient, and far more affordable.

BTW - I love my dual 19s running in portrait mode :love:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Haha damn right! The dock on my 12 iBook almost takes all the screen's width!

stinkyboy said:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
For those of you that have pivoting displays: How does your image look when you pivot to portrait? Mine does not look as nice as in landscape. I'm running dual HP1730's.

Chunky Munkey said:
HUMMUS? That ain't no hummus.

Looks more like red and yellow Wispride Port Wine Cheese to me next to that pita bread! Which pisses me off cus now you got me hungry and I gotta go upstairs and get something to eat now. Thanks! :mumble:

I have a ViewSonic top of the line VP2001s, the s stands for swivel, as in portrait. Mine is meant for computer graphics. It's an HD LCD 21 inch analog/digital 1600x1200. Retailed for $749. I got mine shipped for $349. Not sure how the Dell compares. In my kitchen I got a 17 inch Phillips HD LCDTV with wall mount for $160 plus $14 ship too. Best Buy wants $600! HA! I'd say where I get all my stuff but I don't want to get tossed for endorsing the place.

BUT what I can see is that man is VERY intelligent just by his screen. As anyone can tell, that's OSX he's got running on that desktop and that makes him a MAC user! YAAAAAY MAC USERS!!! He MUST have a high IQ.

G5 I take it by the white keyboard. And that's Panther or Tiger. My guess is Panther. YES?

But the ultimate Mac setup is a new G5 Loaded, with pro tools and a 42 inch plasma monitor display. Aaaaaaawe yeh.... I think you can get a 42 for about $1400. Then again I haven't checked that site in a while for pricing...

Yeah? Well my d!ck is bigger than your d!ck! Oh, and my dad can kick your dads ass! Haha, just kidding....nice setup!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ouch.. That blows. Poor packaging job or did they really beat it up that much?

Hope it was insured...